• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Network Generation in the Military

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I hadn't really read anything on NetGens before, so thought it was interesting as it applies to the military. I've taught a large number of Millennials over the years, but it would be interesting to see this generation in the cockpit.

AULANI

I have background in Intel and I'm going in as an 1830. It will be interesting to see how these NetGens are as intelligence professionals. Probably much faster at finding and processing information I imagine.

jRiot504

I have background in Intel and I'm going in as an 1830. It will be interesting to see how these NetGens are as intelligence professionals. Probably much faster at finding and processing information I imagine.

I would have to disagree. From my experience, in the tech world, the next generation lacks concentration, allowing them to look at problems in-depth. Often times they are switching between multiple computer screens, their phone and tablet in a span of minutes. Without in-depth analysis, conclusions drawn might be wrong leading to poor results.

Moreover, they lack research skills. Areas such as trouble shooting can are tedious, requiring you to actually understand how the tools you are using work. Learning any trade: programming, wood-working, flying or intelligence, requires patience, constructive criticism from your teachers and perseverance to become successful. Lacking experience in a world that does not provide an immediate feedback loop (instant gratification) will prove to be a big challenge for the next generation.

On a positive note, the article did mention them being more financially savvy, this should lead to less new BMW 7 series sitting in the dorm parking lots.

hscs

pilot
One area that we may need to adapt to is how our maintenance folks troubleshoot - current generation is very adept at fixing things but rely on YouTube to give them a video on how to fix vice reading a manual. IETMS does not have a link to a YouTube video, so we either have to figure out how to incorporate (probably at a premium price) or teach them how to do maintenance with a manual.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
One area that we may need to adapt to is how our maintenance folks troubleshoot - current generation is very adept at fixing things but rely on YouTube to give them a video on how to fix vice reading a manual. IETMS does not have a link to a YouTube video, so we either have to figure out how to incorporate (probably at a premium price) or teach them how to do maintenance with a manual.

As if putting an example video in an IETMS screen is that hard? They’re already got photos.

AULANI

I would have to disagree. From my experience, in the tech world, the next generation lacks concentration, allowing them to look at problems in-depth. Often times they are switching between multiple computer screens, their phone and tablet in a span of minutes. Without in-depth analysis, conclusions drawn might be wrong leading to poor results.

Moreover, they lack research skills. Areas such as trouble shooting can are tedious, requiring you to actually understand how the tools you are using work. Learning any trade: programming, wood-working, flying or intelligence, requires patience, constructive criticism from your teachers and perseverance to become successful. Lacking experience in a world that does not provide an immediate feedback loop (instant gratification) will prove to be a big challenge for the next generation.

On a positive note, the article did mention them being more financially savvy, this should lead to less new BMW 7 series sitting in the dorm parking lots.
Well, I said faster not better. ;)

nugget81

pilot
Slow is smooth; smooth is fast.

It takes less time and effort overall to do the job the right way the first time, than to phone it in and have to do it again. This concept is still lost on many in the Navy though.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Slow is smooth; smooth is fast.

It takes less time and effort overall to do the job the right way the first time, than to phone it in and have to do it again. This concept is still lost on many in the Navy though.
Billy Joel sang a song about getting it right the first time, but these whippersnapper NetGens would have to google it to find out.

USC6217

It's hard to read a manual when they no longer exist and anything outside IETMS is considered trash by higher ups. I hated IETMS andlived by paper pubs but we had to have them downloaded onto thumb drives and hidden so we didn't get caught during inspections. Trying to put blame on a generation for not knowing how to read a manual when they are (mostly) not allowed is silly. Hell, I spent a month in C School literally learning how to navigate pubs. That wouldn't be a generation problem, that would be a Command/Tech decision problem (shocker, I know).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think that's exactly what he's saying, though. IETMS is an antiquated, PDF-like system that's not in-line with NetGen's informational consumption standards. So if a system (whatever that might be) that allows a more A/V-like interface could be more productive for their learning.

Obviously executing that is easier said than done and costs money, but it's (I'd argue) an apt observation.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think that's exactly what he's saying, though. IETMS is an antiquated, PDF-like system that's not in-line with NetGen's informational consumption standards. So if a system (whatever that might be) that allows a more A/V-like interface could be more productive for their learning.
Keep in mind that 20-some years ago, some random person went “all the ‘kids these days’ are always on their computers! We need to connect with them. Let’s put all the training on computers!”

And so began an abomination. :p