The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Discussion in 'Military Aviation in General' started by Lt_SNA_USMC, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Lt_SNA_USMC

Lt_SNA_USMC Registered User

Is there anyone out there who could tell me what flight jacket (green nylon?) is current issue in the Marine Corps. I want to get one, but there are like a million to choose from.

First off, they all say current issue, but they are all a little different. Secondly, I do not wear aviator glasses. They look dumb on me. Third- I would not have joined the Marine Corps if I did not want to "play grunt" (as you put it) for a while. If all I wanted to be was a "flyboy" I would have joined the Air Force (no disrespect to the Air Force, but that is what they do: fly). And lastly, I wanted the flight jacket for my little brother for a Christmas gift. I could not wear it now -- I'm not active duty, not with any unit, etc, etc. I'd look like a fool. Assumptions, asssumptions.
    Respectfully, Lt. Williamson

2. Rainman

Rainman ********* None

People learn right away to ignore Paul.

Okay. . .the Marines use the standard Navy Flyer's jacket brown leather with fur on top as seen on Top Gun.
    It is made by Schott Brothers and it is known as "Jacket, Flyer's, Intermediate, Type G-1" -- MIL-J-7823(AS)

Hope that helps. There is also the green nylon working jacket, but it looks pretty ridiculous without a flight suit.

Semper Fi

3. Goliath112

Goliath112 Registered User

quote"what do you plan on doing? wearing a flight jacket around tbs. don't be that guy. that guy is an idiot"

funny funny

man the wait is killing me

4. FlyFast

FlyFast Registered User

Hey Lt. SNA Williamson,how are things going>>> sending my packet real soon, like the reply to your question........your favorite instructor.....so thus far

5. Rainman

Rainman ********* None

ah yes. . .aramid. yeah. . not nylon (like a gym bag). . good catch.

6. Frumby

Frumby Super ********* None

Look at www.sgtgrit.com. I think Sportys online pilot shop also sells them. Unfortunately, you will pay a premium. When I went to Korea, I bought my little brother a "Nylon" jacket. Heck of a lot cheaper and he did not know the difference. If you want the real thing try the last two websites or if your still in the reserves and listed under DEERs, you can order one from MCEX, NEX or AFFES. The Marine Shop in Quantico also has a website that you can order a jacket. If you live in the cold country, buy the winter weight jacket. It is definitly the right choice. I rarely wore the light weight "spring" jacket. Hope that helps. Frumby

By the way, the brown, pig leather jacket with the fake fur collar make look great in "CHARLIES" but you will certainly freeze your ass off if you really need warmth vice style. The good thing about both jackets is that it really pisses the grunts off especially if you attend AWS or Command and Staff. The CO of Marine Education Command forbid all aviators from wearing aviation jackets. The next day, all aviators wore their jackets regardless of temp. The CO rescinded the order the following day. It was unlawful and we made our point. There is democracy in the ranks sometimes. Frumby
    Attack Pilot
    Major USMC

Edited by - Frumby on 09/13/2002 10:38:05

rondebmar likes this.
  7. ghost_ttu

ghost_ttu Registered User

I would like that show of pride in who you are. Have to be a group movement though, I could imagine one guy does that and his ass would have been kicked through his teeth!

8. Rainman

Rainman ********* None

that's pretty amazing. Why do you suppose he made the order in the first place?

9. Mike26

Mike26 Registered User

Lt, Like Korea Turkey also makes nice, inexpensive jackets in Turkey. You can order them at this web site popsleather.com They also give a 20% military discount.

Also, the current issue green flight jacket for the USAF, which I am sure is the same for the Marine Corps is as follows: JACKET,FLYERS, MENS'S SUMMER TYPE CWU- 36P MIL-J-83382C, made from 100% Aramid, manufactued by Creative Apparel Ass. I am sure you will be able to find this in most surplus stores

10. Lt_SNA_USMC

Lt_SNA_USMC Registered User

Thank-you all for your replies to my question about the jacket. And joshmountain; I will learn to ignore Paul. Thanks for the insight. Ooh rah! and Semper Fi.
    Lt. Williamson

11. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Registered User

Naval Aviator's Patches, Flight Suit, Uniform

I know that Naval Aviators place their patches different than the AF guys on their flight suits...

But which patch goes where?

And what is the code for the leather jackets for the Naval Aviation? I have an AF A-2 jacket but I am going to sell it and get a Navy jacket.

I found this information on the net regarding F/A-18 pilot outfit;

USN F/A 18 Jet pilot outfit consists of these items:

CWU-27/P Nomex Flying suit. Current issue to USAF, ARMY, USMC and USN aircrews.
    GS/FRP-2 Nomex Flying gloves.
    CSU-13/B/P Anti G-Suit (aka Speed Jeans).
    HGU-68/P Flight helmet with MBU-14/P oxygen mask, complete with CRU-79/P REDAR assembly.
    PCU-33/P Torso harness (aka modified MA-2). This harness is complete with LPA-2/P Live-preserver (complete with CO2 bottles). This setup has been worn by a USN F/A-18 Pilot during Desert Storm. Contents of this vest:

* SDU-5/E Distress marker light.
    * Shroud Cutter knife.
    * Cyalume Light sticks.
    * PRC-90-1 radio. Has battery but no earphone. Inop.
    * Shark repellent.
    * Signaling mirror.
    * MK-13 Mod O Smoke/Flare Day/Night Signal flare.
    * Whistle.
    * Pen Flarelauncher with Flares.

[​IMG]

No this isn't me... :)

Also where can I find VFA patches for sale? Do you know any good online stores?

Thanks...

12. ea6bflyr

ea6bflyr Working Class Bum None

Standard Navy Flight suit is:

Name Tag {cloth/leather}: Left Chest(over Heart)
    Squadron Patch: Right Chest
    American Flag: Left Arm (Optional)
    Right Arm: Various Patches (Top Gun/Aircraft
    Patch/Weapons School Patch/USN/USMC Patch)

As far as the Leather Jacket goes, the Navy's requlations are Name Patch & Squadron Patch (Same locations as above)

If you are interested in getting a VFA Patch, direct your browser to: http://www.lemoore.navy.mil/hornet.html and contact the squadron that you want the patch from or you can even look on ebay or use your favorite search engine. Squadron Patches usually run about 5 US Dollars. Hope this helps.

ea6bflyr [​IMG]

13. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Registered User

Thanks man, you rock... Navy ROCKS...

Actually I am interested in this one...

[​IMG]

And i think the jacket is called G-1...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. wildflyin69

wildflyin69 Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.

That looks like my dad's flight jacket from WWII (that's right, my dad fought in WWII, and I'm only 23 years old, my dad's been around for a while :)). He's got some pretty cool patches on there. Of course he was in the Army Air Corps, the predecessors to the Air Force.

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

15. ea6bflyr

ea6bflyr Working Class Bum None

Have a look at this web site:
    http://www.av8rstuff.com/airwing7c.html They have the patch you want for 7.00.
    ea6bflyr [​IMG]