• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Duty Station Game

bjjhelm

Just send it
The Navy is attractive to many people because of the travel opportunities it provides. I'm definitely in this boat (ayyye). I've been doing a lot of researching on the different jobs/aircraft that are based out of various duty stations to get a feel for where I may get to go based on my career interests, but feel like I'm missing the fundamental knowledge of how the navy is organized in terms of who goes where. Maybe it's just an OPSEC issue and I'll never know, and that's fine. Or maybe I'm just a moron.

I'm not looking for the answer handed for me, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice (buzzwords to google, navy pages) that may help me understand the grand scheme of things--aviation-wise. After months of googling, I think I've learned that I don't know enough basics to get to me the advanced answers I seek. I don't really come from a military family, so y'all are my best sources of info for the dumb questions.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
The Navy is attractive to many people because of the travel opportunities it provides. I'm definitely in this boat (ayyye). I've been doing a lot of researching on the different jobs/aircraft that are based out of various duty stations to get a feel for where I may get to go based on my career interests, but feel like I'm missing the fundamental knowledge of how the navy is organized in terms of who goes where. Maybe it's just an OPSEC issue and I'll never know, and that's fine. Or maybe I'm just a moron.

I'm not looking for the answer handed for me, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice (buzzwords to google, navy pages) that may help me understand the grand scheme of things--aviation-wise. After months of googling, I think I've learned that I don't know enough basics to get to me the advanced answers I seek. I don't really come from a military family, so y'all are my best sources of info for the dumb questions.

Good rule of thumb: The better the platform is to get hired by the legacy airlines, the worse the base locations are...

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I've been doing a lot of researching on the different jobs/aircraft that are based out of various duty stations to get a feel for where I may get to go based on my career interests...

What are your career interests?

bjjhelm

Just send it
Good rule of thumb: The better the platform is to get hired by the legacy airlines, the worse the base locations are...

What are your career interests?

Not airlines, so that’s good news!

My 10–20 year plan hopefully puts me at NASA as an astronaut. I have a lot of goals within that plan, navy specific-ones being becoming a pilot and getting my PhD at the post-grad school. I will say, some of my academic-oriented goals have some connections to the Middle East.

Aircraft-wise, I’m feeling jets or helos

MGoBrew11

pilot
Not airlines, so that’s good news!

My 10–20 year plan hopefully puts me at NASA as an astronaut. I have a lot of goals within that plan, navy specific-ones being becoming a pilot and getting my PhD at the post-grad school. I will say, some of my academic-oriented goals have some connections to the Middle East.

Aircraft-wise, I’m feeling jets or helos

Big helo hubs are San Diego, Norfolk and Jacksonville.

Jet hubs are Lemoore and Norfolk.

That's just a generality. You could end up in Japan flying either one or Hawaii/Guam for helos.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

For those who are able, do a tour with DESRON 60 especially for the current and future SWOs here and be a Euro-tourist. Between where the ships port and the little flights for 'work' or meetings you go on, you'll see more of Europe and the Mediterranean than everyone you know. Some people complain that Marines never shut up. Those people haven't met DESRON 60 SWOs.

croakerfish

pilot
If you are a pilot and want to travel, go to 7th Fleet. You can get pretty much anywhere from Japan for far less money than you're used to paying.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Where you are stationed is going to play a big role in what type of port calls you get to do, but I wouldn’t recommend choosing a platform or anything on that. Too much left to chance.

The Navy has taken me all over the West Pacific and Northern Europe as a San Diego guy, but there were some unique circumstances. I know other San Diego helo guys that have done nothing but Fallon workups and some stops in Dubai/Bahrain/Guam.

sickboy

pilot
For those who are able, do a tour with DESRON 60 especially for the current and future SWOs here and be a Euro-tourist. Between where the ships port and the little flights for 'work' or meetings you go on, you'll see more of Europe and the Mediterranean than everyone you know. Some people complain that Marines never shut up. Those people haven't met DESRON 60 SWOs.

Got any 13XX LT billets? I've got a disassociated coming up soon...