• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The future of Marine electronic attack

phrogpilot73

Wont they be getting rid of Marine NFO slots? Read somewhere the USMC is getting rid of NFOs, sundown plan or something..
Not anytime soon. Yes, the F/A-18D is being replaced by the JSF - but I haven't seen any plans involving getting rid of the Prowler anytime soon.

phrogpilot73

- "As a result of transitioning to the EA-18G, the Navy will sundown EA-6B aircrew training at VAQ-129, NAS Whidbey Island, by the middle of FY11." pg 3-6

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145249&highlight=marine+flight+plan
You get one above for using search. You get one below for not actually READING anything more than the bulletized info in the thread...

As a result of transitioning to the EA-18G, the Navy will sundown EA-6B aircrew training at VAQ-129, NAS Whidbey Island, by the middle of FY11. Therefore, beginning in FY11, the Marine Corps will be solely responsible for EA-6B aircrew training.
Based upon the current aviation transition strategy, there will no longer be a requirement for USMC Naval Flight Officers (NFOs) after FY19. The F/A-18D WSO MOS (7525) and the EA-6B ECMO MOS (7588) will be programmed to end as a primary MOS at a date TBD. Marine Aviation is actively engaged with Manpower and Reserve Affairs to ensure officer end strength and accessions provide flexibility and professional opportunities for remaining NFOs, while capitalizing on NFO MOS expertise. The sundown plan will include both increased NFO-to-pilot transitions and alignment of the electronic warfare and missions systems expertise in the NFO community with emerging requirements in the UAS Family of Systems (FoS), manned ISR initiatives and the F-35B program.

So let's see, no need for NFOs after FY19 with a end date as a primary MOS "TBD". That sounds a lot like what I said. Not anytime soon...

They also slate the F-35B to replace the EA-6B. I believe that when I see it.

Crowbar

None
- "As a result of transitioning to the EA-18G, the Navy will sundown EA-6B aircrew training at VAQ-129, NAS Whidbey Island, by the middle of FY11." pg 3-6

Yes, the NAVY will sundown training, not Marines.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. We are on track to start getting ICAP III jets this year. I would be shocked if we flew them for ten years (ref: AVPLAN with an NFO put out to pasture date of FY19) and parked them. It may happen but I'm not taking that bet.

JTB7

You get one above for using search. You get one below for not actually READING anything more than the bulletized info in the thread...

So let's see, no need for NFOs after FY19 with a end date as a primary MOS "TBD". That sounds a lot like what I said. Not anytime soon...

They also slate the F-35B to replace the EA-6B. I believe that when I see it.

Sorry phrogpilot. The thread was FY 2009 Marine Aviation Plan so I assumed that the Navy was halting the NFO training for the USMC.And I did read a lot of that a few months ago, but wasnt particulalry interested in the NFO stuff, just the present aircraft/helos will transistion into.

Just a quick question, why cant the Marine Corps transition to the F-18G?

phrogpilot73

But the Marines have NFOs in EA-6Bs, correct? So why not have the transition like the Navy?
Since Crowbar's on deployment - here's my guess.

1. It costs money. Money we don't want to spend.
2. Perhaps we want to get out of the national mission.
3. We want to limit the number of T/M/S in the Marine Corps.

That's my best guess.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1. It costs money. Money we don't want to spend.

That's the main reason, AFAIK. The Corps put its feet down years ago that it wants nothing to do with the Rhino, and that includes the Shocker. I think it's for the same reason that they fought so hard against getting -60's - they threw their hats over the wall for the V-22, and taking any -60's would be letting the camel get his nose in the tent. If the Corps starts buying any flavor of Super Hornets, someone's going to start asking how they can really afford JSF as well.

Crowbar

None
But the Marines have NFOs in EA-6Bs, correct? So why not have the transition like the Navy?

Phrog hit it already.

There are two ways to answer this question. If you're asking, "What's the plan for the future?" the answer is to let the JSF do pretty much everything. If you're asking, "Why do it that way?" I just don't have the answer to that.

aukonak

All I have to go on is hearsay, but I heard from my OSO that regardless of what the NFO outlook looks like for the future, there aren't anymore spots open this year for NFO contracts.

USMC_casper

"They are gonna milk those prowlers for all they are worth b/c its the cheapest solution."

Not necessarily. Since we will be the only one's flying them, and since replacement parts were used up a long time ago, we will have to rebuild every part that breaks. Much like legacy F-18's are doing right now for a majority of the flight control surfaces. Really depends on how you look at it, but it does give a greater impetus to develop the EA capability of the F-35 much faster.