• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Texas A&M or The Citadel??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigspy007

I have visted both school, talked with students and the head of their NROTC programs, but i still can't pick between the two. Anyone got any advice??

thanks fish

Killer2

TRONS!
None
I am currently in my junior year at TAMU and I am in the Corps. I had a NROTC 4 yr Navy Scholarship but droped it for the PLC program ,long story, feel free to PM me. I will tell you what you wanna know all BS aside.

contrail_dash

I just graduated from A&M last may. Left the corps at the end of my junior year, its a good program and a even better school to go to. I just had some personal issues outside of the corps and didn't want to mess with it anymore. Sucks...never did get my senior boots. :(

Oh yeah, and you can't beat Texas girls...lots of em too. I think the Citadel is rather lacking in that category.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Ahhh, but the Citadel does have the 90% female College of Charleston almost next door.....

Killer2

TRONS!
None
Almost next door that doesn't mean in class like at A&M. When we say next door we mean like the dorm behind us.

Dop03

SNA Wife
A&M hands down...my husband and I both graduated from there, and he was in the Corps. He is now a SNA. He had a great experience and wouldn't trade it for the world. We have lots of friends who also went the military route and so it's like a huge network of friends.

Gig'em!
Nicole

As far as women, from what I remember from my brother's escapades, the women at College of Charleston and at Clemson, and basically every other Charleston college, all seriously have the hots for El Cid's cadets.

The weather should be nicer than TAMU though.

Kenth02

I think you would love Texas A&M is every aspect, but that just me. Both school are execllent, rich in history and traditions. But like I said A&M is my choice. I intend to be in the corps of cadets for the Fall 04. Best of luck on whatever you decide.

contrail_dash

Hey Killer, I have some fond memories of dorm 1 and 3 and the female contingent there! Not to mention the view from the back side of 5. But I was stuck over in dorm 10, nothing to see but Ross street.

By the way, which outfit ya in?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a grad from the Citadel I felt obligated to jump in here and defend my school from those evil Aggies. I thought I could give you a quick comparison between the schools from my time at the Citadel and talking to the numerous Aggies in the military.

Texas A&M- A big school in every sense, it has 45,000 students. Only 2000 of them are in the Corps if that is what you are looking at though. That means all the good and bad that comes with a big school. World class professors who happen to teach a class of 400 at a time, that type of thing. The Corps itself is not a bad deal. There wear uniforms similar to WWII US Army. They have this big thing about boots.....Anyways, the Corps does not seem to be as strict as the Citadel's, and that is not necessarily a bad thing. Talking to the alumni that I knew, you had many chances to let your hair down (if you had any) and join in on the fun of the normal college experience. If you dropped out of the Corps you can still graduate from A&M. From my personal experience, the guys and gals who have gone through the Corps enjoyed it.

The Citadel- My old school. It has about the same size Corps but that is it, no other students. You live only a mile away from College of Charleston which has approx 10,000 students. About 60-70% are female, but discount about half because that is how many hate cadets. Charleston is one of the nicest cities I have ever been to, and I have been all over the world. As for school life, you are in a military enviroment for 24 hours a day during the week and a good part of your weekend. It is pretty strict your freshman year and gradually gets better as the years go on. No TV until you are a senior. It was a senior privilege to go out during the week (or if you had good grades). While some of the students will never win a scholastic prize, much less know what one is, the academics are pretty tough. The average GPA is pretty low compared to other schools (no grade inflation). The ROTC unit was really good. It was a very small unit compared to the USAF and USA units. We also graduated more Marines than Navy so I had only 15 in my class become Ensigns. The alumni are fewer than A&M but the fierce loyalty is still there. Other than that, I loved it there and would do it all over again.

So, it boils down to what kind of school you want. I needed one that would give me a good swift kick in the a@% and few distractions, which I got in spades. If you want to spend the next 4 or 5 years in a flat brown place where all they want to do is brag about how they could still secede from the US, go to A&M. Seriously, I hope this gives you a little more information on making your choice. Best of luck.

Rotorhead

Like someone else said, 8000 female students across town does nothing if you never get to see them except on weekends. 40,000+ students, the majority of which are female in the same classes as you, and willing to let you come over in the evenings to "study". You decide. Both schools have some great traditions, obviously I am biased having graduated from A&M, but I have many friends from The Citadel who tell some good stories.
Going to a predominantly male school was never my bag though. You will get just as good, if not arguably, a better military experience at A&M. Thats just my opinion.

The Citadel is good. A&M is better.

Choose wisely

Status
Not open for further replies.