• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GOUGE Tell us how to buy a can

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Wanted to start a thread on buying a silencer ("silencer" being the ATF legal term for a suppressor). Seems like manufactures are popping up like crazy for something that the purchase process alone seems impossibly difficult. The paperwork and legal processes seem impossible to mortals - unless you know someone that is a federal law enforcement type or are friends with county sheriff.

Which one to buy for your rifle or pistol - how did you chose?

Filling out the paper work - including fingerprints and CLEO signatures - how did you navigate this? What did you learn along the way?

How long was the dreaded "wait" - what can be done to speed up the process?

Finally - now that you own one, how do you use it, have fun with it and maintain it? Where are you shooting that you could not before?

What's your next purchase?

ChuckMK23

pilot
I could see owning a silencer for a 9 MM handgun to shoot in my basement (residential neighborhood with law against discharging firearms)

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
No, it's just illegal. I'm not sure a forum centered around women and men in positions of public trust is the best place to discuss such matters.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Hey only harm is to paper targets - other have bought suppressors - just want the gouge!

and @Beans - Your values are outdated.

Last edited:

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Silencers are not illegal. At least not in some states. Why would you want one? I suppose anyone who wants one has their own reason. I can't say I can get behind owning one with the sole purpose of breaking the law in my basement (ha, like could even own a basement in Florida). But it does make sense if you are a prepper waiting for the zombie apocalypse. After all, you don't want to give away your position to the zombie hoards.

Personally, I prefer 295 lbs of security buffer distributed over 12 black/brown legs, attached to teeth and big ears. If someone gets past that buffer, I doubt a silencer would be of any tactical advantage at that point.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Personally, I prefer 295 lbs of security buffer distributed over 12 black/brown legs, attached to teeth and big ears. If someone gets past that buffer, I doubt a silencer would be of any tactical advantage at that point.

2 mastiffs and a tarantula? That's unique.