• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo questions

BRM21o

Tattoos

Sorry if this has come up before but I exceeded my bandwith and it takes 30mins to use the search....anyways, I would like to get an EGA or USMC on my left arm after I graduate from basic? Would this be a bad idea since I'm applying for PLC? I read the Marines are getting really strict about tat's...Thanks!

Laerg

I just talked with my OSO today 6/27 and he said to wait until after you had gone through PLC to get any sort of tat's

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
The rule of thumb is that you want to be able to cover it up with pt gear. They took some body pics that went in my package somewhere. Other than that, nobody ever said anything to me. If you get the EGA on your arm, you will be in the same shoes as quite a few Marines. Do yourself a favor and make sure that you actually become a Marine before you put ink on your body.

You are right in the sense that the Marines are becoming more conservative over time. Right now there isn’t anything that says officers can’t have tattoos, but that is not to say that in the future somebody with decision-making power won’t change it. Also, if you read the language of the order, there is a lot of ambiguity – it could give someone on the decision making board ammunition to make a decision adverse to your outcome – you never know.

b. Tattoos or brands on the neck and head are prohibited. In other areas of the body, tattoos or brands that are prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the Marine Corps are also prohibited.

jaerose

I honestly don't think they'll ever be able to ban tattoos (that can be covered) because it's unconstitutional. It's your right to express yourself and as long as it doesn't interfere with your duties it won't matter. Plus, having a tattoo is no indicator of potential leadership abilities, intellect, professionalism, or discipline...although it could mean you have a high pain tolerance =)

JR

room5047

i have two ssgt. friends that used to train candidates at ocs. they unanimously said it's better if you don't already have an ega, since it might just bring a rain of sh*t on you. unless, of course, you're hard enough to prove you earned it!

show me your WAARRRR face!

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
JR: You're right, a tattoo is not an indicator of high intellect!
jester_125.gif

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!

jaerose

akamifeldman: Hey now...I've got a 'too (identity crisis)...and my momma thinks I'm perdy dern educater'd! =)

JR

Yes, intentionally misspelled!!!

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
No, there won’t ever be a ban on tattoos, the Marines would never be able to reach their recruiting quotas if they did something like that. I was mainly referring to some of the spider webs on the elbow, or a tribal sleeve that covers the entire forearm. It most likely won’t affect your chances of getting in, just keep in mind that there are many conservative judgmental types out there. Someday, you will be compared against your peers for promotion, and if you have a lot of ink protruding from the sleeve line, I can assure you it will not give you any extra points. There are many officers with tattoos (including myself); however, I feel safe saying that tattoos are not an officer like quality. If you get something that can be covered up with PT gear, I would not have any worries about being turned down because of it.

As far as constitutional, keep in mind that you trade many of your constitutional rights for some of the privileges afforded to military officers. I can assure you that having a gang related, or satanic tattoo may be one of your constitutional rights; however, try and join the military with something like that. In one of the other discussions, there is already enough said about the military’s limitations to freedom of speech, so I will not say more than I already have.

All in all the only point that I am trying to make is that “prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the Marine Corps” leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Draw your own conclusion. I got my tattoo between OCS#1 and OCS#2, and didn’t hear a thing about it, and I am also not worried about it effecting me in the future.

jaerose

Good point. I guess I wasn't really thinking about gang and prison ink...I was thinking of more innocent stuff.

JR

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Let me put it this way, it has always been implied "Officers don't have tattoos." Now the reality is that some do. Nothing showing on while you are in your "Charlies." No forearms, neck or hands. It will be the kiss of death on a promotion board if your promotion picture shows a "Tat" on your forearm. Trust me. Just keep it hidden under your clothes. Certainly, do not have a tattoo before earning the title, it will bring you hate and discontent. As for a tattoo being your constitutional right......Aw come on, you really don't believe that your rights as a military member are the same as a civilian. Your constitutional rights are subjective to the standards set by the military. As a Marine, you exist solely to protect democracy, not practice it. S/F, Frumby

Attack Pilot
LtCol USMCR

jaerose

I agree with you, especially about getting the tattoo before you have earned the right to wear it. I know people that are gong to flight training (if the pass the physicals) and some of them buy 'pilot' gear and such like the G-2 (or whatever) jackets, watches etc. I am not superstitious, but I don't like to assume that I'm going to get it. I know it's tough and I am optimistic that I'll make it through, but I definitely want to have a reason to do that stuff and act that way. I like to make sure I actually achieve, or become something before I start acting like that's what I am. Okay...time to hit the rack. Good night.

JR

Franny

I have a small tattoo on my wrist that can be covered by a watch. I am currently putting together a waiver for this little piece of art. Has anyone out there had a tattoo waiver approved for a visible tat?

Fsls

1devildoc

My husband has two tatoos, one on his upper arm, and one on his calf. The one om his upper arm does not seem to be an issue, but the one on his calf is large, and it can be seen in PT gear. The OSO had to photograph the tatoos, measure them, and submit a picture of my husband in PT gear along with the waiver request. My husband is currently active duty Navy, and almost everyone in the Navy has a tatoo. We will see in a few weeks if it matters or not when the board selects.

Beaver

There are a lot of MArine officers who get accepted with large visible tattoos. I wouldn't worry about it very much.