• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Summary of E-2C RAG (FRS)

HalfBreed

None
Since some of the other RAGs have been mentioned, I figured I'd offer the Hawkeye perspective. First, some general notes:

1. VAW-120 is not easier than VT-86. They are different animals. VT-86 is faster paced and more stressful. VAW-120 is longer and you are expected to remember everything about a wide range of topics (it is the RAG, except you aren't winged for the first half of it) from the time they teach you, until you stop flying Hawkeyes. I don't know the percentages, but people do get attrited from E-2s.

2. Yellow sheets. Passing with a white colored sheet for a test is 90% or above. Yellow sheets or SODs is for 85-90%. Pink is below 85%. I never knew these creatures existed before coming here.

3. Pilots. You will see IPs when you fly. They are also useful to find when you have an obscure systems question. Unfortunately you will have little interaction (other than social) with the RPs. They do their thing, you do yours. You might fly on a cross country with one.

4. Wings. 6-8 months into the program you will finally get winged. The winging will be on a Friday. Monday you have class. Congratulations, you are now an RNFO! (joy, the pink sheet count resets!)

5. Flights. Each phase of training has flights associated with it. Expect to do the flights a few months from the end of the phase it is associated with. After wings, you only have 4 flights left to do and endless sims.

You start off slow, learning about the systems of the aircraft. Engines, props (#1 question asked at an airshow, "Why does it have 8 blades?"), electrical system, comms, software, hardware, and navigation are all various systems you must become intimately familiar with. You can actually fail the first test without any ramifications. This is to get you used to the level of studying you need to do. Some of these topics have sims associated with them which consist of you sitting in the sim with an instructor and them grilling you on that topic or anything you have already learned.

Next you learn about the sensors on the aircraft, namely that big dome on top of the plane. The radar test is arguably the toughest academic test you will take at the RAG. As long as you study consistently everyday, it should not be that difficult.

After sensors is the midterm, which is a cumulative test covering everything you've been taught up to this point. This consists of a test, a sim, and a flight (usually flown right before AIC flights).

Now it starts to get a little interesting. The next phase is about you working your way towards earning your wings and Air Intercept Controller letter. First you start with manual tracking. Man tracking is simply figuring out course, speed, and declaration of a piece of radar video. As long as you can multiply, you'll get the hang of it by the second sim. After man tracking you move on to Nearest Collision Intercepts. You will do a bunch of sims for NCIs, which consist of pointing jets at eachother and making them collide. NCIs get you used to controlling assets and proper comm formats. Finally, are AICs (Air Intercept Control) which are the real deal. Here you get to simulate controlling fighters which shoot down hostile incoming aircraft. Some of the CSIs (retired guys who run the sims) are fighter guys and can get really into it. The last few AIC sims will have you running both NCIs and AICs over the warning are near Norfolk. This is to prepare you for the real thing when you go play with Lear jets. After you are done with AIC sims, you are declared ready to actually control planes while in the air. The flights are actually much easier than the sims, since your instructor helps you out with the administrative parts and also takes care of a lot of the comms. There are actual Lear jets being flown out in the warning area that you are controlling. The flights are also cool, because it is one of the few times you will ever sit in the cockpit. Yes, being able to look out the window is a novel thing for a Hawkeye NFO. While the other student is doing their AICs, you get to sit in front; halfway through you switch and you do your AIC runs. You will have 2 (or 3 if you are unlucky) AIC flights and get soft winged after completing 15 AICs and 5 NCIs.

Friday is the winging ceremony. Horay beer! :icon_zbee

Monday you start learning about all the data links the Hawkeye has and how the computer can do NCIs for you. Nothing too complex here. There is just now more to juggle, because while doing AICs, you have to multi task and send information out over the data link.

After the data links you have a final. This is only a test and has no sims or flights associated with it. As with the midterm, it covers everything you have learned up to this point.

Finally, there is the tactics phase. You learn about enemy capabilities and platforms. You also learn about all the various missions an E-2 can carry out. Tactics phase is very basic, most things you will learn in your fleet squadrons. This phase also has the most difficult sims associated with them, Battle Problems. In BPs you work with another student and an instructor or Cat+ NFO coming through the RAG to carry out missions. Each BP scenario is different and you only do each type a few times. You will never get the hang of any particular mission because everything is new. Here you will begin to develop certain skills like multitasking and crew coordination.

After surviving BPs, you knock out a stan check and off you go to your fleet squadron. Your first cat shot and arrested landing will happen in your fleet squadron. Have fun! :)

phrogpilot73

4. Wings. 6-8 months into the program you will finally get winged.
That's something I honestly did not know. So do you guys not participate in the ceremonies at NASP, and just move on to a new pipeline? Is this the same for other NFO programs, or is it specific to the E-2?

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
That's something I honestly did not know. So do you guys not participate in the ceremonies at NASP, and just move on to a new pipeline? Is this the same for other NFO programs, or is it specific to the E-2?

It's not specific to the E-2. VP-30, in the last year or so, has become a winging squadron for the P-3 NFO types. I'm not sure if they're going to a plan where all P-3 NFOs will wing in Jacksonville or if it's a trial run sort of thing to see if it can work. There aren't many SNFOs around 30 so I'm thinking it's only a limmited program with the rest of the NFOs winging before they show up at the RAG.

es101js

pilot
so it is rare to see rag pilots and rag nfos, whether winged or not, flying together in the syllabus?

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
It's not specific to the E-2. VP-30, in the last year or so, has become a winging squadron for the P-3 NFO types. I'm not sure if they're going to a plan where all P-3 NFOs will wing in Jacksonville or if it's a trial run sort of thing to see if it can work. There aren't many SNFOs around 30 so I'm thinking it's only a limmited program with the rest of the NFOs winging before they show up at the RAG.

They're trying to move it in that direction permanently. I think the ideal scenario is to bypass any sort of AF nav school and just get guys to the fleet as soon as possible. However, this is all theory right now.

We'll find out as soon as those first 30-winged guys finish up their shore tours, or at least the first year. They want to see how well they do and see if they suck because of missing the "panel nav" training. Pros and cons to it all, so I guess we'll see what happens.

Of course, you at least get to chill at Randolph and feel like a navigational god for a while...for now...

Lyse01

Only those that go through VT-86, and thus are going to F-18 or Prowler-lands, get winged in Pensacola. E-2 NFOs are split from the pipeline after Intermediate. The non-winged portion of the RAG is our Advanced, and I believe we're shared by the E-2 community and CNATRA at that point.

P-3s and E-6s also split off before VT-86. E-6 NFOs definitely leave after Primary, and P-3 NFOs either go to Randolph after Primary, or complete the Instrument block (but not Low-Levels or Forms or T-1s) of Intermediate, then move to VP-30 in Jax. They've got a roughly 6 week Advanced before getting winged, as opposed to the much longer course in Randolph.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
3. Pilots. You will see IPs when you fly. They are also useful to find when you have an obscure systems question. Unfortunately you will have little interaction (other than social) with the RPs. They do their thing, you do yours. You might fly on a cross country with one.

Great post. Out of curiosity, what does an SNFO/RNFO do on a XC in an E-2?

HalfBreed

None
so it is rare to see rag pilots and rag nfos, whether winged or not, flying together in the syllabus?

Yes. The syllabus generally does not allow both types of training to occur. I'm not that familiar with the pilot side of things so this is just the NFO perspective, but pilots spend most of their training practicing landings, things going wrong, FCLPs and CQs. To do these things, the back end is mostly shut down which is not very conducive to NFO training. On the flip side of things, NFO missions require pilots to fly in circles. Not very challenging for a pilot who is on his or her 4th plane. The pilots do have to fly some sort of basic instrument nav flight and a mission profile flight. That is where you might see S/RNFOs on the same flight as an RP.

Great post. Out of curiosity, what does an SNFO/RNFO do on a XC in an E-2?

The same thing we do on a regular flight. Turn on the back end and play with the systems. What system exactly depends on whatever event you are up to. When the INFO is tired of asking questions, we kick back, read magazines, eat cookies, and sleep.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
The same thing we do on a regular flight. Turn on the back end and play with the systems. What system exactly depends on whatever event you are up to. When the INFO is tired of asking questions, we kick back, read magazines, eat cookies, and sleep.

So, is a XC a syllabus flight in and of itself, or is it just a chance to knock out a couple X's en route to some great XC destination?

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None

The E-6B/TACAMO community now wings its NFOs at the Rag. The first two NFOs to get their wings at VQ-7 was in Jan of this year.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None

Due to the fact that Randolph is on the BRAC chopping block, NFOs selected for the program can expect to be winged at Jacksonville vice Randolph. The transition is in full gear with every new class containing more UMFOs. I was part of the "UMFO" syllabus going from Pensacola straight to the P-3 RAG. The 6 wk course before wings was more like a crash course in being a P-3 Nav/Comm. Once we started the CAT I syllabus, the REAL fun began.

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None
They're trying to move it in that direction permanently. I think the ideal scenario is to bypass any sort of AF nav school and just get guys to the fleet as soon as possible. However, this is all theory right now.

We'll find out as soon as those first 30-winged guys finish up their shore tours, or at least the first year. They want to see how well they do and see if they suck because of missing the "panel nav" training. Pros and cons to it all, so I guess we'll see what happens.

Of course, you at least get to chill at Randolph and feel like a navigational god for a while...for now...

The last class of Navy guys to report to Randolph will be in Feb 08, with an Aug grad. The Navy UIC at Randolph will shut down effective 1 Sept 08, and all Navy instructors and enlisted personnel onboard will PCS. I was the last Navy instructor to check in in Oct 06, and those of us with PRDs beyond Aug 08 have had our PRDs adjusted accordingly to Aug 08. As Navy guys leave, the billets are not being refilled.

As far as VP-30 goes, the plan is for VP-30 to gradually pick up training as Randolph training comes to an end. According to the latest info out of CNATRA, around 2010, TRAWING-6 will have some sims online to replace the training currently conducted at Randolph. The training conducted by CNATRA will be known as Undergraduate Military Flight Officer (UMFO) training. I don't know if the P-3 NFOs will get their wings at UMFO or VP-30 once the sims come on line.