• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stats for SWO package

Brooksssiiieee

Hey guys! So my package just missed the board in February and I've been patiently awaiting the board to be held on the 24Aug. I'm getting nervous and would like a second opinion on my stats and hopes to receive my pro-rec Y. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to reply to my thread, good luck to all!!

Recent graduate of East Carolina University.
SWO
No prior / 23 yo
B.S- Exercise Physiology
ASTB- 49
GPA- 3.6
All letters of recommendation from military personal, lowest rank HM3, highest rank Sgnt Major in Marine Corps.

No issues at MEPS, no waivers.
No record, tickets, issues with the law.
Thanks again you guys :)

exNavyOffRec

Hey guys! So my package just missed the board in February and I've been patiently awaiting the board to be held on the 24Aug. I'm getting nervous and would like a second opinion on my stats and hopes to receive my pro-rec Y. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to reply to my thread, good luck to all!!

Recent graduate of East Carolina University.
SWO
No prior / 23 yo
B.S- Exercise Physiology
ASTB- 49
GPA- 3.6
All letters of recommendation from military personal, lowest rank HM3, highest rank Sgnt Major in Marine Corps.

No issues at MEPS, no waivers.
No record, tickets, issues with the law.
Thanks again you guys :)

Please tell me you have LOR's from some employers or college professors that can talk about your performance of a specified time, LOR's from military personnel who have not observed you over any amount of time carry little weight.

FYI, the board never knows or cares if you had to be waived for any medical issues.

swerdna

None
Contributor
Is your package already submitted, or are you able to add things to it? If so, definitely get those letters from college professors and former supervisors at your job(s). If you've done any volunteer work a letter from a supervisor there might help too.

Brooksssiiieee

My recruiter told me one of them needed to be from an employer/supervisor but he noted specifically in my packet I chose not to have a reference from my boss at my previous job.. I was a waitress my
Last 2 years of college and my boss wasn't the most respectable human being.. He has a drug problem and deals drugs. I didn't care to have a reference from him, so instead I obtained 5 LORS instead of the required 3. The sgnt major observed me directly dialy at my internship for 6 months, HM3 has known me personally since 2012, and Lt. Colonel in airforce was my mentor for 5 months. Do you still think that looks bad?

exNavyOffRec

My recruiter told me one of them needed to be from an employer/supervisor but he noted specifically in my packet I chose not to have a reference from my boss at my previous job.. I was a waitress my
Last 2 years of college and my boss wasn't the most respectable human being.. He has a drug problem and deals drugs. I didn't care to have a reference from him, so instead I obtained 5 LORS instead of the required 3. The sgnt major observed me directly dialy at my internship for 6 months, HM3 has known me personally since 2012, and Lt. Colonel in airforce was my mentor for 5 months. Do you still think that looks bad?

not bad, neutral, the HM3 will probably be not given any weight at all since it is a personal friend, mentor might be the same way, professors would be much better.

so your saying your old boss knows business and profit and loss.

Not speaking with the authority of someone like NavyOffRec, but generally speaking it's been my observation that the biggest determining factor is how many slots they have to fill. The fewer the slots, the more competitive each is. It's the type of thing completely out of your control and impossible to predict. Someone rejected for one board might be selected on the next. The strongest qualifier I've seen those knowledgeable apply to someone's chances is 'competitive'.

swerdna

None
Contributor

If you're worried about your former boss's "habits", my recommendation is to write a recommendation letter for yourself but word it as if it were coming from him, or better yet, his supervisor or another supervisor that observed you. Have whichever person sign it and make sure you explain to that person that you're applying for the Navy and that the letter will help. The Navy isn't going to look into your supervisor's character or criminal record but they might give that person a call.

*EDIT: Your recruiter is probably trying to suggest that if you omit a reference from your job it implies your work ethic was either poor or you left under less than favorable conditions.

Igloojam

pilot
Um... the contact information you provide in your SF-86/Nasis form.

Your SF-86 asks for people who knew where you lived / family members / and people that have known you for longer than 7 years (check me on that number)

3 of 4 of my references were not my LORs...

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Your SF-86 asks for people who knew where you lived / family members / and people that have known you for longer than 7 years (check me on that number)

3 of 4 of my references were not my LORs...

Yes, and when you fill out the SF86/NASIS under employers it asks to provide contact information, whether it's a phone number, address, and/or email.

exNavyOffRec

If you're worried about your former boss's "habits", my recommendation is to write a recommendation letter for yourself but word it as if it were coming from him, or better yet, his supervisor or another supervisor that observed you. Have whichever person sign it and make sure you explain to that person that you're applying for the Navy and that the letter will help. The Navy isn't going to look into your supervisor's character or criminal record but they might give that person a call.

*EDIT: Your recruiter is probably trying to suggest that if you omit a reference from your job it implies your work ethic was either poor or you left under less than favorable conditions.

The USN won't call a reference, but OPM may for the investigation