• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stash TAD/TDY

JD858

"Panda"
pilot
I'm commissioning at the end of june, but my report date for Pensacola is not until middle of October. I am trying to get stashed back in San Diego (hometown) during that period to hopefully save some money before heading out. Has anyone else tried this? If so, what is a good way to go about it?

BackOrdered

Contributor
It's often easier if you are close to your PCS and you have alot of time before you report in. Otherwise you may as well use the time to settle in Pensacola.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
When I was in the RAG at Miramar, we had a couple API stashes writing the simulator flight schedule. Seemed like a good deal for them, they went TAD to SD, and worked pretty short days with a lot of time off. That might only be an option for Marine types, but it seemed like a good gig.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
VMFAT 101 is a Marine and Navy squadron...doesn't hurt to ask. Obviously more options at NAS North Island...

Absolutely, definitely worth a shot. Just giving a data point that the only stashes I ever saw there in ~20 months were Marine types. You are right on that there could be other similar opportunities as well sir.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Step 1 is to talk with one of your advisors; preferrably the aviator on staff.
Step 2 is to find a squadron that will host you as the stashed ENS.
Step 3 is to obtain NO COST orders from the NROTC unit then execute
Step 4 is to return to the NROTC unit to check out in order to execute your PCS orders.

It's not hard....I did it for a few of my stashed ENS....ask Nittany03.

-ea6bflyr ;)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And there's your answer for Navy guys at Marine squadrons, too. Totally doable if the squadron will take you. I was the bull ensign in a Marine Prowler squadron for 2 months pre-Pensacola.

Renegade One

None
Not unless you count the coffee mess officer/Snack-O.
Nope...that's a "no count". Actually, does anyone actually get to their first fleet squadron these days still wearing the gold bar? I made my first entire WESTPAC cruise in VF-111 as an Ensign...which I'm guessing is uncommon now. And I was "The Bull" of three...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Aside from P-3 folks (esp their NFO's) and a select few helo types who were at MAX the entire syllabus(ii), doubtful. Never seen it in TACAIR.....don't think it's possible, at least for the single anchor side, and doubtful on the dual side either.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I avoided being Bull Ensign in my first squadron by being frocked to LTJG.

We had a female AMO Ensign who was Bull and it seems she was just giddy for weeks upon hearing a more senior Ensign (if there is such a thing) was checking in. She wanted to get rid of being Bull badly and the CO got tired of hearing it. So the CO frocked me to LTJG just to piss her off. I was actually met getting off the flight that took me to Misawa to join the squadron by my sponsor with the frocking letter and insignia. She was planning on ambushing me as I walked into the squadron spaces the first time with a Bull designation letter. I will never get over the look of disappointment when she saw me wearing LTJG, or the look of fury when the CO said "I see you got your LTJG frocking letter".

BackOrdered

Contributor
I was a bull, but I found the trick was to pretend it was the greatest thing in the world and that you are just loving shipboard life thanks to being bull. The other SWOs couldn't wait to take it away from me :rolleyes:

MasterBates

I was a Bull in HSL-42. I think I was the first non NAVCAD ENS they had seen in a decade.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2