• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 help from a select

wrecklessfool

just slackin...
Here are my CO's recommendation cover letter for my package and my personal statement. These should only be used as a reference. I was selected for the FY08 STA program and I am trying to offer up a good starting point for those interested in applying. I would have found this info useful during the early stages of my application, and hopefully someone else will as well. I would like to add that these items are not the only items considered by the selection board, but they do weigh VERY heavily on the boards decision. I was selected my first time applying, so obviously, I did something right here. Be sure to screen your final documents for 100 percent accuracy. These are not my FINAL drafts, but nothing but corrections were made. All of the content is the same. Godd luck to all applying! One more word of advice: start getting your package together NOW. My biggest regret was not starting sooner in the year for my application. I wrote my CO's letter and had him make changes as he required and then sign. He made no changes to what was given. I recommend everyone do the same in regards to this portion of your package if you can.

CO's endorsement:

1. Forwarded with my strongest possible recommendation for immediate selection as a Student Naval Aviator (1390). Petty Officer XXXX is my number one applicant for this program. All required documents have been verified for accuracy and completeness and are attached as enclosures. The applicant meets the physical fitness standards of the OPNAVINST 6110.1 series and is 72" tall and weighs 198 pounds. Petty Officer XXXX is eligible for this program in all respects. The applicant's medical record has been reviewed for any physically disqualifying conditions with zero discrepencies as per reference (a). Petty Officer XXXX has achieved an oustanding career to this point. A career which many try to match; punctuated with multiple awards, meritorious service, and an unmatched devotion to the United States Navy. His outstanding leadership abilities motivate subordinates and superiors alike to excel to the highest standards of naval service by which he has shaped his career. These qualities distinguish him as an extraordinary professional with unlimited potential for continued service as a commisioned Naval Officer.
2. I have yet to encounter a finer example of Naval leadership amongst the junior enlisted ranks. Petty Officer XXXX's brilliant ability to manage the maintenance and operations of XXXXXXX and $67M in associated support equipment, IMRL, and TA/AS in support of local and deployed events alike, has led to an unprecedented 94 percent mission completion rate; 24 percent higher than any previous maintenance supervisor. XXXX reliablity soared from 50 percent to a record 88 percent while under management by Petty Officer XXXX. USS XXXX, for the first time ever, has been able to boast a 98.6 percent mission capable rating due directly to Petty Officer XXXX's acute attention to detail, optimum use of manpower and resources, and his in depth knowledge and adherence to naval aviation maintenance practices.
3. His selection as Junior Sailor of the Quarter for the third quarter of 2006 and Junior Sailor of the Year for calender year 2006 further solidify my stance that Petty Officer XXXX is an absolute must select for the Seaman to Admiral program. His outstanding attitude, in addition to his high levels of maturity, self-motivation, and technical expertise, make him by far the top candidate I have ever seen. The priveledge to endorse this model Sailor is nothing short of an honor. His desire to serve as a Naval Aviator in the Officer community is without equal. Petty Officer XXXX implements the Navy's core values into all aspects of his life. He displays impeccable military bearing, unyeilding determination, an exceptional drive, and a personal demeanor which make him the ideal Seaman to Admiral candidate.
4. Without hesitation or reservation, Petty Officer XXXX has earned my unconditional and strongest possible endorsement for immediate selection to the Seaman to Admiral Program. I personally know this individual and the potential he possesses to become a great Naval Officer. He woud be a welcome addition to the officer community, and I would be honored to have an officer of his caliber in my wardroom today. If only one candidate is selected, make that person Petty Officer XXXX.

Personal Statement:

I, XXXX, have the most profound desire to be accepted into the FY08 Seaman to Admiral (STA-21) Program. My motivation for this goal is fueled by a desire to lead, to learn, and my passion to excel. It is my ardent belief that I have the physical, mental, intellectual and emotional capacities not only to be an effective leader, but an exceptional Naval Officer.
I have surpassed all expectations of any sailor of my rank and experience. I have proven myself in many leadership positions reserved for seasoned sailors with many more years of experience. Being a junior enlisted member in the Navy has not afforded me the opportunity to live up to my full potential in terms of leadership and responsibility. I am certain that my acceptance into the STA-21 Program will yield many new opportunities for me to stir my latent potential. Through my experiences in the Navy, I have gained an immense insight into many different leadership styles displayed by my superiors. I have discovered useful tools for motivation and management through the leadership positions I have assumed. Becoming a commissioned Naval Officer will allow me to propagate this wealth of knowledge to my subordinates and peers alike.
Upon my enlistment into the United States Navy, I had little intention of attending college and attaining a degree. I have since done a considerable amount of maturing. Understanding the values of passion, goals, dedication, and most importantly education has changed my outlook on many different aspects of my life. I am confident that I am capable of achieving any goal which I set for myself and feel that it would be a waste of my abilities to have less than lofty ambitions. To this end, I have set for myself the following personal and professional goals: complete my college degree in XXXX, obtain a commission as a Naval Officer, and become designated as a Naval Aviator. I see the STA-21 program as the ideal means to meet my objectives. Not only will it enable me to focus my efforts towards my education in a genuine college setting, but it will also allow me to expand my personal repertoire of leadership skills through enrollment in the NROTC program. I am a highly motivated and focused individual who thrives under pressure. I am more than ready to meet the challenges that the STA-21 program presents, and I look forward to setting an elevated standard amongst the Officer community upon my commission.

BOCOD

Looks good except Sailors are to be capitalized in all references except those who belong to foreign navies as of May 19, 1994, per SECNAV. Sorry to bust your balls but that is a pet peeve of mine.

wrecklessfool

just slackin...
Looks good except Sailors are to be capitalized in all references except those who belong to foreign navies as of May 19, 1994, per SECNAV. Sorry to bust your balls but that is a pet peeve of mine.

Thanks, but like I said in the orginal post, this was not the final draft. The content remain unchanged but the grammar and punctuation was corrected to bring it up to today's English, as well as Navy standards.:D

SHAF

Idle for glory
pilot
The only thing I might change would be the bit about not being able to be a leader as a junior enlisted Sailor. Anyone can be a leader and do their best in whatever capcity they serve, and also, I would stray away from talking down about the enlisted life, no matter what your true feelings. Simply rewording it to make it a little more PC might be better: eg, I feel that as an officer, I can use both the leadership skills i have learned as an enlisted Sailor coupled with my nature blah blah to effectively bridge the gap between the officer and enlisted communities blah blah. You may also want to add a bit about how your prior service will help you to relate better to those you will be leading (the enlisted gents). Take it for what its worth, just offering a little advise.

wrecklessfool

just slackin...
thanks for the input...although, being selected already, it is of little use to me...but anyone reading this post who is a prospective applicant can use input such as this to help mold their own writings. This is what this thread was intended for so please keep the constructive criticism flowing:)