• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STA-21 Age Requirements

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
Thought I had all 5 conditional things done, and then today Mr. Straten put a halt to my good fortune. He said since I was selected Core I have to finish all degree requirements prior to turning 29. I was under the impression I could finish the degree anytime during the year I was 29. This means I am only eligible as it stands right now for 7 semesters. Does anyone have any experience with this. He said if I show it being not possible to finish the degree in time I could write a letter showing my hardship and he could route it through his chain of command. I imagine that is time consuming. This would allow me to skip BOOST, go to NSI in Feb. and start in the summer semester which gives me an extra semester. Has anyone on this website had to do this? MY advisor at UIC is working to completely evaluate my transcripts and hopefully it is possible. Thanks for any insight you guys provide in advance.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
As far as I understood the instruction as it is worded, you have to complete your degree prior to your birthday for the age at which is considered the maximum for the program in which you were selected. You could consider taking an extra class during each of your fall and spring semesters (carrying 18 credits instead of the minimum 15) because that would give you 15 extra credits by the end of the 7 semesters you're working with, which is like having an extra semester! Keep in mind to that you will get college credit for BOOST that your college may accept in transfer (I know ODU is awarding me 12 credits: 6 for english and 6 for precalculus!) so consider that as well!

haubby

None
Contributor
It would probably help if STA-21 posted age requirements for the CORE program on the website. You wont even find a CORE age requirement in the instruction. The only reason I knew of that particular requirement was from previous years brief I attended. However, I'm in the same boat. I wouldn't be able to go the full three years in the program without going over the 29 age limit but I can finish it up early and graduate when im in 28. Just wont be able to get that dual degree like I was wanting to...

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
Those BOOST credits would be very helpful. How did you go about getting ODU to take them before you have finished them. ODU is very familiar with everything military. I doubt the University of Illinois at Chicago is as knowing. Do any of you have any suggestions as to how to show UIC the credits they should award me for BOOST. Also below is a link to a virtual tour of Newport just in case you guys wanted to see how sweet this place is...

http://www.gonewport.com/VirtualTour.aspx

k_smittay

You cannot finish a degree in 7 semesters? I am finishing mine in 8 semesters, and only 6 credits are transfering. You shouldn't have a problem. Hampton and ODU I hear are really good at transfering credits.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
I had to show you guys the reply my Advisor from the college sent me when I told him there was a age requirement. And Haubby I thought the same thing about how vague they make CORE.

"I have to say I am quite surprised that they require you to finish by a
certain age. It strikes me as an example of age discrimination and is
foolish if they want the best talent. But they make the rules, not you or
I, so...."

k_smittay

I had to show you guys the reply my Advisor from the college sent me when I told him there was a age requirement. And Haubby I thought the same thing about how vague they make CORE.

"I have to say I am quite surprised that they require you to finish by a
certain age. It strikes me as an example of age discrimination and is
foolish if they want the best talent. But they make the rules, not you or
I, so...."

It is stated right in the instruction (para 7.D.) when you have to graduate by..

"Must be able to complete degree req's and be commisioned prior to age 27, waivers may be granted up to age 29 or, as specific option Program Authorizations allow."

That is the general instruction, which core selectees fall under.

https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/pdfs/PA150_(CORE)_Mar05.pdf

user2176

STA-21 Core Selectee FY08
Contributor
Lucky3 did you ask for a waiver in your package? I was under the impression that you had to graduate by your 27th unless you had a wavier for CORE.

As per STA-21 website under Eligibility Requirements:
"Be able to complete degree requirements and be commissioned prior to the 27th birthday with possible waivers to 29."

I didn't realize this until after I was selected. I thought I had until 28, I intend to go SWO -> IP. I have 120+ credits, 46 that actually transfer to my degree/general education. So I can graduate Spring 2010 rather than the full 36 at spring 2011. I just turned 24 two months ago.

So what did the STA-21 office say?

Edit: hmm some one beat me to it....

k_smittay

Lucky3 did you ask for a waiver in your package? I was under the impression that you had to graduate by your 27th unless you had a wavier for CORE.

No one actually needs a waiver in there package. It is all done automatically. You just need to ensure you can graduate by your 29th birthday, unless you were picked up for an option such as supply that allows you to graduate later.

user2176

Contributor
No one actually needs a waiver in there package. It is all done automatically. You just need to ensure you can graduate by your 29th birthday, unless you were picked up for an option such as supply that allows you to graduate later.

Confusing... It states in the instruction that waivers have to be requested.

OPNAVINST 1420.1A - CO's Rec
By my signature I certify that this candidate meets program eli*gibility requirements and that any waiver request(s) has been addressed in my endorsement letter.

NAVADMIN 063/05 - Pilot, NFO
FOR APPLICANTS WHO WILL BE OLDER THAN 27 AT COMMISSIONING, A FORMAL WAIVER REQUEST MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH THE APPLICANT'S PACKAGE. NSTC WILL FORWARD ALL FORMAL WAIVER REQUESTS TO PERS-435A.

-CORE
CORE OPTION APPLICANTS MUST BE 18 YEARS OLD AND MUST BE ABLE TO COMPLETE DEGREE REQUIREMENTS AND BE COMMISSIONED PRIOR TO AGE 27. WAIVERS MAY BE GRANTED UP TO AGE 29 OR AS SPECIFIC OPTION PROGRAM AUTHORIZATIONS ALLOW.

Well I guess we can ask Mr. Straten.
If its automatic waivers to 29 that's great!* I have more school options.
(*Age waivers based on prior service of course.)

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU

Or if you chose the Medical Program option you just have to be able to complete 20 years of active service as Navy Doc while you still have a pulse! :D

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
It would probably help if STA-21 posted age requirements for the CORE program on the website. You wont even find a CORE age requirement in the instruction. The only reason I knew of that particular requirement was from previous years brief I attended. However, I'm in the same boat. I wouldn't be able to go the full three years in the program without going over the 29 age limit but I can finish it up early and graduate when im in 28. Just wont be able to get that dual degree like I was wanting to...

I've heard from some people too that dual majors are frowned upon...if they find out. So depending upon your unit and school they might force you to graduate early if the right person got wind of that.

user2176

Contributor
I've heard from some people too that dual majors are frowned upon...if they find out. So depending upon your unit and school they might force you to graduate early if the right person got wind of that.

As they should. One of the favorable selection criteria, as I understand, is being able to complete the program is less than 36 months.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Confusing... It states in the instruction that waivers have to be requested.

OPNAVINST 1420.1A - CO's Rec
By my signature I certify that this candidate meets program eli*gibility requirements and that any waiver request(s) has been addressed in my endorsement letter.

NAVADMIN 063/05 - Pilot, NFO
FOR APPLICANTS WHO WILL BE OLDER THAN 27 AT COMMISSIONING, A FORMAL WAIVER REQUEST MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH THE APPLICANT'S PACKAGE. NSTC WILL FORWARD ALL FORMAL WAIVER REQUESTS TO PERS-435A.

-CORE
CORE OPTION APPLICANTS MUST BE 18 YEARS OLD AND MUST BE ABLE TO COMPLETE DEGREE REQUIREMENTS AND BE COMMISSIONED PRIOR TO AGE 27. WAIVERS MAY BE GRANTED UP TO AGE 29 OR AS SPECIFIC OPTION PROGRAM AUTHORIZATIONS ALLOW.

Well I guess we can ask Mr. Straten.
If its automatic waivers to 29 that's great!* I have more school options.
(*Age waivers based on prior service of course.)

I'm just going to comment on the way I interpreted the waiver process for STA-21 as I am 27 and will only be attending school for three semesters prior to graduation/commissioning and need a waiver for prior service. It states in the instruction that your CO must address any waiver request for ALL programs in which you apply. I ensured both my CO and the review chairperson had clarifying remarks in their statements requesting a waiver for time already served as well as including remarks in my statement concerning how I would accomplish this in time. Somewhere I read that we are not the ones who apply for the waiver request but the folks at STA-21 will submit the request for those that will require them. Basically acting as a liason for our admin. Sorta like the way they handled submitting our physicals to BUMED and NOMI and didn't want us faxing it directly.