• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Space Force: The Sixth Branch

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There’s the inconvenient matter of Congress needing to amend Title 10, US Code before this can go anywhere. Sure, the President can tell the Pentagon to do studies and get ready, but the structure of DoD is controlled by the legislature, not the executive.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I'd love to see a solid argument on how establishing another branch of the military that does what the USAF Space Command, NRO, and others already do would make the Pentagon MORE efficient.

I'm obviously missing something here, this seems like a solution looking for a problem.

Python

pilot
Contributor
I'd love to see a solid argument on how establishing another branch of the military that does what the USAF Space Command, NRO, and others already do would make the Pentagon MORE efficient.

I'm obviously missing something here, this seems like a solution looking for a problem.

Couldn’t we have said something similar about USAAC->USAF?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Couldn’t we have said something similar about USAAC->USAF?

US space is a bit of a hot mess right now and it needs some fixing but I don't think a separate service is the solution, at least yet. Just to start the DoD controls only some of the US government's space assets and that is before you get into commercial US space assets. So no, the comparison to the USAAF to USAF is not even close. And then you get into the whole what they would control and do, are they are force provider or would they have some combatant command-like responsibilities WRT to space assets?

It makes far more sense to me to create a new unified command like CYBERCOM, you could even use SOCOM's model of having their own budget authority. But a separate service? Nope.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The AAF was already effectively operating as a separate service by the end of the Big War, so the establishment of the USAF just formalized what already existed. That’s not the case with this putative “Space Force”. Like @Flash said, DoD Space efforts badly need reorganization, but this doesn’t solve the problems. And in any case, there’s less than zero appetite for it among the JCS. Even elevating it to a joint component command along the lines of TRANSCOM was DOA.