• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Smartphones the norm?

Deere1450

pilot
Commissioning May as SNA. Just wondering if it is expected or exceptionally beneficial (for whatever reason) to have a smartphone with the internets and stuff during flight school?

Right now I'm rocking a plain-ass flip phone, and would say I am the exception compared to the commissionees/Navy dudes I know. The only beef I have with a smartphone and data plan is the cost... approaching 2% of my income as an ENS. Its tough to justify the expense unless there is some career/flight school enhancing benefit I am unaware of.

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
In primary, doing fine without a smart phone. I have the Brigade, from Verizon. It is internet capable (like Synix said about checking the schedule) but very simple. It is a tough phone, so if you are a dumbass like me (ie fall down alot, fall into holes, fall into water) it won't get damaged. I've even taking it for a swim and dumped beer on it. But I am also a cheap ass. In my life, I have yet to NEED a reason to have one. But some people swear by them.

Deere1450

pilot
I'd like to think I'm thrifty and frugal, but I suppose tightwad will do. I'm guessing flight schedules are not set in stone days in advance then...

Thanks for the responses so far. Much appreciated.

Criminal: I too, am a clumsy dumbass on occasion. Recently took my phone swimmng with me at Lake Havasu for spring break. Still works like a charm.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
^^ And then you get called/texted at 8pm to have your brief changed.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't get a smart phone to check the flight sked. Get one because it will make many aspects of your life easier and more enjoyable. Having a phone with GPS and a searchable google map while you're traveling is worth the price alone.

dotonfire

^ That. The GPS is especially helpful, since when I arrived, I didn't know where anything was. Not to mention I use it for banking, weather, and trying to stay a step ahead of my schedule.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If 2% of your income, or $70 (.02 * $3500) is going to cause you issues, you might want to reexamine your finances.

But no, you don't need a smart phone. They're nice to have, but not necessary to succeed in flight school.