• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selection Ebb and Flow

Wickle

Hello ladies and gents!

I have been a member of this forum since I was in high school, and have finally made it to flight school. Thank you everyone for helping me get here!

I finished IFS not too long ago, and am almost done with API. I had a question regarding the dreaded selections for you all if you don't mind. I have been hearing it tossed around in flight school from both Captains and students alike, that if a Marine has Ospreys anywhere near their top 3, they're getting it, no matter what is No. 1 and No. 2. Apparently this is because the amount of people who want it are slim to none, so whoever lists it will get it. Some "unofficially" recommended that you not put it in your top 3 if you want a chance at getting your top 2. How true is this?

My top 3 are Maritime, Strike, and then Tilt in that order, but would like to be at least LOOKED at for the top 2 instead of being skipped over if I'm the only one who has it up there.

Thank you all!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello ladies and gents!

I have been a member of this forum since I was in high school, and have finally made it to flight school. Thank you everyone for helping me get here!

I finished IFS not too long ago, and am almost done with API. I had a question regarding the dreaded selections for you all if you don't mind. I have been hearing it tossed around in flight school from both Captains and students alike, that if a Marine has Ospreys anywhere near their top 3, they're getting it, no matter what is No. 1 and No. 2. Apparently this is because the amount of people who want it are slim to none, so whoever lists it will get it. Some "unofficially" recommended that you not put it in your top 3 if you want a chance at getting your top 2. How true is this?

My top 3 are Maritime, Strike, and then Tilt in that order, but would like to be at least LOOKED at for the top 2 instead of being skipped over if I'm the only one who has it up there.

Thank you all!

42% chance you will be flying a cargo plane to Hong Kong when you ask strangers to find answers for you.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Isn't "Maritime" a Navy only option? I.e. P-3s/P-8s?

Here's what 42% translates to man: My Marine buddy had Cobras East as like his 9th choice or something before we winged. Guess what he got? He still loved it. Whatever you get you will enjoy flying and it will not be the last airframe you ever fly, there's always room down the road to change things up. I'd fly the shit out of an Osprey, but we're playing rice bowls in the Navy right now so be happy you even have the option open to you!

Goodluck and don't fuck up.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Don’t worry about selection until you’re almost done with Primary. It changes a lot week to week and you have no idea what the needs of the Marines will be when you finish. 6 months ago you needed to be top of your class and put Jets as #1 to get it, now the Marines are calling people already in Corpus and asking them if they want to switch to jets. Just worry about crushing the syllabus (especially the early blocks in each stage) and you’ll give yourself the best chance to get what you want.

And @RedFive I assume by Maritime he means C-130s

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Short answer: No, putting it #3 isn’t some secret signal to the ghost of Chesty Puller and an auto-select.

Longer answer: You’re overthinking this. I realize to you it’s the ? Most Important Thing ? in the world, but you’re looking at the world through a soda straw. Your skills will be evaluated, turned into an NSS and your preferences taken into account, then you’ll be assigned a pipeline. Do your best, ask the IPs about their platforms (good and bad), and rank your preferences honestly. Everything else is out of your control.