• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selected or Designated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
I've been selected for SNA, and I have passed my initial flight physical. I'm a little worried about the flight physical that I'll get down in P-Cola however. I'm pretty sure that my left eye is just outside the standards, and they're not going to give me a break down there like they did in Great Lakes. So, because of this, I'm interested in getting PRK. I'm scheduled for a consult this week at a civilian medical center. My concern is that after reading through the rules set up by NAMI (NOMI, whatever it is,) it looks like if you are "designated air warfare personnell) then you are not allowed to get PRK in a civilian facility. That would mean that I would have to get put on the long waiting list, and have to travel to the nearest one (a long way away.) So, does anyone know if I am "designated air warfare personnel) or am I an "SNA accession?"

I'm currently an Officer Candidate, and I am graduating in December, so I'm sorta running out of time. If I need to get it done before I get commissioned, then I need to get on it. Idealy, I would like to wait until I am commissioned, and get it in January.

If anyone has any experience with this, your knowledge would really be appriciated. Thank a lot.

-OC Scameheorn

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I haven't been in this boat myself, but I know a lot of people who did get the surgery done. I am 97% certain that if you get the surgery done by an unapproved civilian doctor that you will lose your aviation spot. If you get the surgery done by the Navy, you would still need a waiver before getting an upchit (permission to fly), and they will not grant those until after an eval which is about 6-8months after the surgery (I think). Before undergoing anything like this, I would sit down with the military officer who's command you fall under and hash this out. He/she will most likely be able to answer all of your questions.

boobcheese

If you are graduating in December I think its a bit late to be considering PRK. I believe thet there is a minimum 3 month wait after having the procedure before you can apply for the waiver. Perhaps if your orders don't have you repoting to P-cola for a while it might be doable. This is from what I believe is the most current instruction.

D. ACTIVE DUTY ACCESSIONS:
SNA/SNFO CANDIDATE ACTIVE DUTY PERSONNEL WILL OBTAIN APPROVAL FROM THEIR COMMANDING OFFICER TO UNDERGO PRK VIA ESTABLISHED GUIDELINES. THEY WILL APPLY FOR AVIATION TRAINING AND OR REDESIGNATION IN ACCORDANCE WITH NAVY REGULATIONS. ALL OF THE NECESSARY PAPERWORK INCLUDING THE PRK PREOPERATIVE REFRACTION, THE OPERATIVE REPORT, AND THE POSTOPERATIVE FOLLOW-UP WILL BE ASSEMBLED. STUDY INVESTIGATORS WILL DETERMINE IF THE CANDIDATE MEETS ACCESSION STUDY PARAMETERS, ASCERTAIN THAT HE/SHE IS OTHERWISE MEDICALLY QUALIFIED FOR THE APPLICATION PROGRAM, AND THEN OFFER ENROLLMENT INTO THE STUDY.

I have attatched the entire message in word format. Of course there are a lot of other hoops to jump through and I would go to the NOMI websight to get any other amplifing info before going forward with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.