• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

San Diego Drummer?

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I know this is a long shot here on AW, but it gets old looking through craigslist musicians who are all "420 friendly." Anyone in San Diego play drums? What are the chances you also know more than one volume? Yes? Sweet.

Down to play with other instruments, too...good drummers seem to be the hardest to come by.

Hit me up.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I know this is a long shot here on AW, but it gets old looking through craigslist musicians who are all "420 friendly." Anyone in San Diego play drums? What are the chances you also know more than one volume? Yes? Sweet.

Down to play with other instruments, too...good drummers seem to be the hardest to come by.

Hit me up.
Good luck. I've tried at most of my duty stations to find a drummer. Only found one or two willing to jam and they were flaky at best.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
I still have the set of Ludwigs and Zildjian cymbals I bought in high school in 1967 that came off the assembly line (stamped on the inside of the shells) on Oct. 21, 1966 that are now worth well over 4 times what I paid for them.....basically the same set that Ringo had early on with the Beatles. Through the years I've played with rock bands, folk bands, country bands, blues bands, big bands, you name it.....in every type of venue from coffee houses to huge arenas. But I live 1359 miles from San Diego via car. :cool:

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

Hit me up.
Wait, are you turning down talented musicians that like the herb or are they not good at drumming because they are stoned?
Hard to believe good musicians are that rare in such a large metro area...
I DID hear that XJ220 was invited to Juilliard for his skills playing the Rusty Trombone...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There used to be a guy that set his drum set up under the Friars Rd overpass just west of the MV Mall. He would practice there for hours on end, right out in the open. He had some pretty impressive skills. :) There are some dedicated musician collaboration websites out there that are a bit better than CL, but you're right in that a good drummer is hard to find. You might try snooping around some of the music programs at UCSD or SDSU. YOu also might have better luck to the north toward LA, if you don't mind the drive. I've managed to do collaboration over the internet with the drummer I played with in the 90s that still lives in JAX. Works out OK for recording material, but not so much for jamming.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
There used to be a guy that set his drum set up under the Friars Rd overpass just west of the MV Mall. He would practice there for hours on end, right out in the open. He had some pretty impressive skills. :) There are some dedicated musician collaboration websites out there that are a bit better than CL, but you're right in that a good drummer is hard to find. You might try snooping around some of the music programs at UCSD or SDSU. YOu also might have better luck to the north toward LA, if you don't mind the drive. I've managed to do collaboration over the internet with the drummer I played with in the 90s that still lives in JAX. Works out OK for recording material, but not so much for jamming.

Brett: Resident angryish dude, swears he doesn't look like James Carville, Skipper, NFO extraordinaire (in his own mind! ;) ), hippie guitarist who has a thing for drummers... what am I missing?

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Wait, are you turning down talented musicians that like the herb or are they not good at drumming because they are stoned?

It's not that I care that they're stoned, it's this whole piss test thing that gives me pause. I presume that any good 420-musician will wanna break out the chronic while they jam and the last thing I want is to hold anyone back from their peak level of musical genius. I mean, shit, Pink Floyd anybody? Nirvana, David Bowie, even Snoop. I can't, in good conscience, be held responsible for preventing the next Santeria from hitting the charts!

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Hit me up.
My son is a percussionist rather than a drummer. He just moved here to San Diego from the Bay Area where he played professionally in addition to his day job. He is mostly into Latin Jazz, playing congas, timbales and bongos. He has sat in with some major Salsa bands here in San Diego recently. He is beyond 420, but is friendly. PM me if he can help.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Percussionists are to drummers as rectangles are to squares, anyway. We're just drummers who chose not to limit ourselves. :D

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
My son is a percussionist rather than a drummer. He just moved here to San Diego from the Bay Area where he played professionally in addition to his day job. He is mostly into Latin Jazz, playing congas, timbales and bongos. He has sat in with some major Salsa bands here in San Diego recently. He is beyond 420, but is friendly. PM me if he can help.

Sounds amazing annnnddd way out of my league :(

Pags

N/A
pilot
Since this is a music themed thread, if any of y'all are bass players you should check out Lea Bass Guitars.

http://www.leabassguitars.com/

Its run by my buddy Slinky who is a retired LAMPS bubba and now makes gourgeous custom bass guitars out of his garage.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Since this is a music themed thread, if any of y'all are bass players you should check out Lea Bass Guitars.

http://www.leabassguitars.com/

Its run by my buddy Slinky who is a retired LAMPS bubba and now makes gourgeous custom bass guitars out of his garage.

Wow, he's making some amazing instruments! He should electric guitars, too! That would be very tempting.