• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Salute a warrant officer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackOrdered

Contributor
There has been some pretty interesting topics about this on other forums. Yeah, exactly what Brett said. Only I've heard many interesting tales of Green Ensigns pulling rank on the Warrants and having it backfire. What's your experience Brett?

Holly85

My brother became a Warrant Officer close to 13 years ago. Will he still have to salute my finace who will have been an Ensign for approximately 3 weeks when they meet again?

Huggy Bear

pilot
You make sure that you get the respect you deserve from the warrants. If they don't call you sir or salute you, lock them up, take a moment to gently explain that all their time enlisted and their years as a chief doesn't matter. Point out that they are not "real" officers, and that the most junior ensign still outrates the most senior WO-5. It may be worth mentioning that they are overpaid, since an ensign can do the same job (probably better, due to college of course) for much less money. Finally, you should probably do this to a large group of warrants at the same time, you know, just to save you from having to repeat yourself too often.

Be strong. Let me know how it goes.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
My brother became a Warrant Officer close to 13 years ago. Will he still have to salute my finace who will have been an Ensign for approximately 3 weeks when they meet again?

First of all, being an Ensign for 3 weeks or 23 months makes you...an Ensign.

Second, family saluting family has been known to be the root of communism. True story.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor

It might be different with some of the Navy types, but we try to keep a "one-bar" rule. The WOs I have been around are very professional and will probably pop a salute, but between WOs, O-1 and O-2s salutes are not required. Plus, sometimes its hard to tell the color of that bar on their collar or cover until you are about 3 feet away. However, if the situation permits, professionalism and proper customs and courtesies always rule.

KC130FE

Livin' the Life!
You make sure that you get the respect you deserve from the warrants. If they don't call you sir or salute you, lock them up, take a moment to gently explain that all their time enlisted and their years as a chief doesn't matter. Point out that they are not "real" officers, and that the most junior ensign still outrates the most senior WO-5. It may be worth mentioning that they are overpaid, since an ensign can do the same job (probably better, due to college of course) for much less money. Finally, you should probably do this to a large group of warrants at the same time, you know, just to save you from having to repeat yourself too often.

Be strong. Let me know how it goes.

Yeah, good luck with this advice. Your joking, right? Any Warrant Officer worth a sh!t will render the proper respect regardless of your seniority. Let us know how that formation of WO's turns out for you. :D

usmcecho4

pilot
It might be different with some of the Navy types, but we try to keep a "one-bar" rule. The WOs I have been around are very professional and will probably pop a salute, but between WOs, O-1 and O-2s salutes are not required. Plus, sometimes its hard to tell the color of that bar on their collar or cover until you are about 3 feet away. However, if the situation permits, professionalism and proper customs and courtesies always rule.

That was a TBS-ism to deal with India Company with regard to WO's. The admin WO at MATSG-22 made it absolutely crystal that we should expect to be addressed as sir/ma'am and saluted at all times. As far as O-1 and O-2 are concerned 1 bar rule applies.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

BackOrdered

Contributor
Yeah, good luck with this advice. Your joking, right? Any Warrant Officer worth a sh!t will render the proper respect regardless of your seniority. Let us know how that formation of WO's turns out for you. :D

I'd have to agree. Being direct is swell, but a senior enlisted type or a CWO probably has enough reputation and salt to screw over an O-1 enough to get a slap on the wrist himself and cost the O-1 his/her credibility, effectiveness, and respect of the other enlisted/warrant types. I remember my father telling me how he would get fed up with arrogant O-1s and do what he called "yes siring" them to death. He would basically show them that his experience is worth respecting by shutting his mouth, closing off his wisdom, and watching the O-1 try to handle the situation unguided, and nod his head at everything they tell him. In the end when they are stuck in circles, they ask, "well what do I do now senior?" and he responds "I don't know, sir. You are the superior officer." Usually they learn their lesson and take the experience to heart or they get mad and try to get the guy with 20+ years under his belt, no aspirations for promotion, and nothing to prove or lose in "trouble". But all things considered, the situation is what it is, a O-1 not showing proper regards to experience.

Heloanjin

pilot
Could Huggy have been any more sarcastic? Relax and enjoy the commentary.

If any Ensign out there does try Huggy's method, please share the result with us.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Could Huggy have been any more sarcastic? Relax and enjoy the commentary.

If any Ensign out there does try Huggy's method, please share the result with us.

I don't know, I'm in a jumpy mood or something. Must have been that Rockstar I just had.

Status
Not open for further replies.