• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Running time

Clements

I'm a sophomore in high school (so I have a little bit of time to improve). I want to try to get into NROTC but I am not sure if I can make it, mostly because of my 1.5 mile time. I can run the 1.5 mile in 10:52. Are there any good tips or exercises that I can do to improve, or should I just simply run more?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Mix it up. Do some fartleks, some long slow distance, sprints, etc. Also I heard core strength improves running, so planks, flutter kicks, 6-90's, crunches, and so on.

SeaBoundRhino

I thought this was America
pilot
That is a respectable time for a beginner, so you are already off to a good start. Now all you have to do is simply run more. Also, do some research, there are plenty of books about running (i.e. pace, cadence, form, etc). I'll second Pags as well, join track and cross country you'll get more than exercise out of it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Did the run time get drastically reduced for ROTC? I have never known a sub-11 minute time to be a failure for anything except at the Naval Academy. I thought even the chip trail at API (which used the 17-19 run time) was around 11 minutes.

Like T_B said, I found farleks (or however you spell that) to be a great way to bring my run time down.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Did the run time get drastically reduced for ROTC? I have never known a sub-11 minute time to be a failure for anything except at the Naval Academy. I thought even the chip trail at API (which used the 17-19 run time) was around 11 minutes.
I was wondering the same thing. For 20-24 y/o males, the PFA standard is 13:30 satisfactory, then 12:00 is a good, and 10:30 is an excellent.

Also, google Stew Smith and look for a running plan from him. I remember an article on his website on a workout for taking 2 minutes off your PFA run time which might be helpful.

Clements

Like T_B said, I found farleks (or however you spell that) to be a great way to bring my run time down.
I don't think it's a failing time, but I'm just a bit worried that it's not quite fast enough. I'd like to bring the time down as much as I can.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I don't think it's a failing time, but I'm just a bit worried that it's not quite fast enough. I'd like to bring the time down as much as I can.
Someone mentioned on another thread that the min time for USNA is a 10:30, not sure if ROTC has a min. But you're close enough that cutting a half-minute off shouldn't be too unreasonable. If you're carrying any extra weight, dropping a few pounds makes it much easier. Other than that, just keep at it.

xltn

On the initial physical test, does the standard go by group age? or 1 standard for all?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Someone mentioned on another thread that the min time for USNA is a 10:30, not sure if ROTC has a min. But you're close enough that cutting a half-minute off shouldn't be too unreasonable. If you're carrying any extra weight, dropping a few pounds makes it much easier. Other than that, just keep at it.

Historically, the NROTC standard is the fleet standard, unlike USNA, which has it's 10:30 standard. I'm sure someone can correct me if it's changed, but I'm guessing it hasn't.

On the initial physical test, does the standard go by group age? or 1 standard for all?

Forgetting USNA for a moment, a standard Navy PRT (oops, I mean PFA) is based off of individual age. The one major caveat is that the API "indoc" PRT is based off the 19 year-old standard on a chip trail. Kinda sucks in the winter, but that's been the standard (again, at least historically).

xltn

Thank you.
I meant the very first physical test, which I think you covered it (indoc PRT). I need to bring my game up the 19 yr standard, I'm almost 29. (No excuse)

dstc

10:22 at jogging pace with moderate sprints between, stew smiths guide helps, just gotta break sub 10. Im a fat guy too at 190. Just keep at it.

Clements

Thank you guys for the advice. I joined the schools cross country team and almost instantly started seeing progress.

WEGL12

VT-28
The one major caveat is that the API "indoc" PRT is based off the 19 year-old standard on a chip trail. Kinda sucks in the winter, but that's been the standard (again, at least historically).

Just to inform people that read this in the future. The chip trail run time is now a Good Low for your age group (so 12:00 for ages 20-24). The policy changed about a year ago from the historical requirements.