• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RFA: Enlisted to Officer Commissioning Programs

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
ALCON,

I'm currently working on study (and possible point paper) about Fleet Applicants (that is, active duty and SELRES Navy). My argument, it's more difficult and less promising for enlisted applicants to become officers than those off the street. Be advised, this is for OCS programs and not STA-21 or LDO/CWO.

During my time on AirWarriors, I've noticed some reoccurring themes on here:

1. SELRES applicants aren't fully aware or understand they need to be working with their CCC.
2. Many CCCs are uninformed or unfamiliar with how to complete an OCS application.
3. Fleet Applicants receive inaccurate information or are in a "smoke screen" about programs they might not be qualified for.

These are just a few out of many.

What I am looking for is input from the active duty and SELRES folks... what's been some difficulties about applying? CCC issues? Finding an ASTB computer? Etc. etc.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. If you don't feel comfortable answering publicly, please reach out to me VIA PM. Thank you!

exNavyOffRec

Having been through the CCC course and earned the NEC the big issue is that CCC's are there to keep up retention, the amount of time we spent on any commissioning programs was minimal, unfortunately it was just enough to allow us to confuse people. In the class we were told that commands should have an officer assigned as the point person for those wishing to apply to be an officer, we were told to look in the 1420 for the qualifications, there was nothing said about program authorizations or that NRC controlled OCS boards, we were told that anything was waiver-able for those on AD, pretty much what I know now is that most of that was not correct.

CCC's I do not think should be handling OCS applications, or any officer applications, they should support an officer that has experience in navigating that process, or have each command have a NRD that is there point of contact for guidance.

Safashton

This process has been a major pain.

Issues are the following

1) My CCC has no clue, but it's a YN1 who has it as a collateral.
2) Contradictions from OPNAV 1420.1B and what NPC has for OCS information. Example 1420 says to use a tattoo screening form 1131/25 or something, but OCS Fleet application says to use 1131/104.
3) Application itself 1420/1, financial statement contradicts itself based on the note and question 5. Block for correspondence courses vague. The application instruction says "Self explanatory", but seriously I guess you list all online naval training you ever did. However, via OCS help desk, told me to only list courses applicable to program applying for.

4) Back to my original point, lack of guidance or help

Im just about to finish my package this minth, I can update all my grievances later

-Josh

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Another is misinformation provided by enlisted recruiters, how your major/GPA won't matter when you're applying as a Fleet Applicant (Which is not the case).

OfficerHopeful

What I have seen:

1. 1420.1B is way out of date. I always hear a new one is in routing.
2. Because of the few enlisted selected through OCS, it is very hard to find mentors to assist. I know of one person that went through OCS, and that was at a previous command. Future Mustang page on Facebook is a decent help, still mostly geared to LDO/CWO.
3. NPC links to NRC programs are outdated for things like board schedule and forms required for the package.
4. Being an IS, I was told, by chance, that I needed a conditional release from the rating. I was passed the name of my detailer, but I know it is actually the ECM that allows release from the rating. No forms for this process at all, nor is it written down this step is required.
5. Not knowing what exactly NRC would look for. We have to send in 3 years of evals and all awards, but I heard GPA/OAR matter most. This is backwards thinking when selecting leaders, but that is my opinion.

Literal words from my CO's mouth while working on my CO's Rec, "It is hard to write this because we don't know what they are looking for." I have actually met more STA-21 graduates than I have prior enlisted OCS.

I agree with your bullet 3. I was attempting to go for CWE until I learned my school was not on the list, which is not written anywhere in the PA or other documentation. Wasted a good 9 months attempting to build up skills before working a package.

The lack of help or any QC at most commands makes the process take much longer than I think it should.

DONOSAURU5REX

pilot
You are spot on here.

There is a lot wrong with the Active Duty side of completing and processing an OCS application. The data seems out of date. Most of the links/websites that are provided by Navy.mil sites are useless, unorganized, or just inaccessible. NCs don't have a clue about the process. I have been through 3 NCs (2 NCCs and 1 NC1) and the best information I have received was from AW or the OCS package processors through NRC. I am in a unique position and have had the opportunity to speak with a lot of recruiters and even the NRC XO about what is looked for in a package, but I guarantee the fleet is lacking in that department. I found it amazing how many people the Navy takes right off of the street when it has so many qualified sailors out in the fleet.

Safashton

What I have seen:

1. 1420.1B is way out of date. I always hear a new one is in routing.
2. Because of the few enlisted selected through OCS, it is very hard to find mentors to assist. I know of one person that went through OCS, and that was at a previous command. Future Mustang page on Facebook is a decent help, still mostly geared to LDO/CWO.
3. NPC links to NRC programs are outdated for things like board schedule and forms required for the package.
4. Being an IS, I was told, by chance, that I needed a conditional release from the rating. I was passed the name of my detailer, but I know it is actually the ECM that allows release from the rating. No forms for this process at all, nor is it written down this step is required.
5. Not knowing what exactly NRC would look for. We have to send in 3 years of evals and all awards, but I heard GPA/OAR matter most. This is backwards thinking when selecting leaders, but that is my opinion.

Literal words from my CO's mouth while working on my CO's Rec, "It is hard to write this because we don't know what they are looking for." I have actually met more STA-21 graduates than I have prior enlisted OCS.

I agree with your bullet 3. I was attempting to go for CWE until I learned my school was not on the list, which is not written anywhere in the PA or other documentation. Wasted a good 9 months attempting to build up skills before working a package.

The lack of help or any QC at most commands makes the process take much longer than I think it should.

Agreed on all. However the 1420.1B's 1420/1 instruction on filling out the application says to do NAM or higher.

OfficerHopeful

That is what I meant, which was 5 for me. If they are just looking at stats, fleet feels disadvantaged since our awards and evals seem like they won't matter as much, but that is what we are working towards while getting a degree. Students just have their degrees and some volunteering or other leadership extras.

Safashton

I just took the ASTB today at an recruiting station. I asked of they were able to help fleet applicants, they said no. So perhaps that's a avenue for alleviation is to allow recruiters help with fleet applicants

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ALCON,
2. Many CCCs are uninformed or unfamiliar with how to complete an OCS application.
Rufio,
Number 2 hits the nail on the head. A majority of CCC have little to no understanding of commissioning programs in general. This comes from lack of clear guidance from big Navy and lack of practical experience by CCCs. Is there one sole source of information (directive, website, etc) that CCCs can turn to when they have questions?

exNavyOffRec

Rufio,
Number 2 hits the nail on the head. A majority of CCC have little to no understanding of commissioning programs in general. This comes from lack of clear guidance from big Navy and lack of practical experience by CCCs. Is there one sole source of information (directive, website, etc) that CCCs can turn to when they have questions?

Having been a CC and OR I can say no there isn't, at least not a one stop shop.

CTN1

1. SELRES applicants aren't fully aware or understand they need to be working with their CCC.
3. Fleet Applicants receive inaccurate information or are in a "smoke screen" about programs they might not be qualified for.

1 and 2. As a member of the IWC, I had to submit a conditional release. This is the only thing my NOSC CCC did for me. Release had to be sent to my region for approval. Once approved, I have yet to ask my CCC to do anything for me that I couldn't do myself. I've found most of the my information online or have received feedback from this forum.
3. Availability of accurate information online would help. PAs should be posted for each community on npc.
I've heard of bad experiences with ORs and I have experienced my own. I was forewarned to move on to the next and did so. Does not seem to be an isolated issue.

OfficerHopeful

That conditional release is not written down anywhere I have seen. Processor today told me it's not a requirement, but safe to have so they don't have issues transferring. I have one from the ECM, waiting for the detailer to get back to me. Only thing I am worried about for my package now.

Kirk G

Benson115
Question regarding the expiration of interviews, from my general research I've been able to find that any officer interview will expire 6 months after it is conducted. Does this also apply to the Commanding Officers Endorsement? Thanks!

V/r