• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Remember..College Degree Doesn't Matter

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
This is all for you new people, aspiring aviators and the like. While it's true that STEM is preferred, your GPA is also a huge factor as well. Now I am not the smartest with numbers but that didn't stop me from my dream. The Navy wants to see you challenge yourself and work hard at it, however I would advise you to pick a major that has a good backup plan, as in if things don't work out, you can still feel successful. Remember, it's a tough world out there and you will be competing with everyone else. In the words of Shia Labeouf

Tondier

While this is mostly true, the CEC in particular requires an ABET accredited engineering program, or NAAB accredited architecture program. But that's a small community, and probably not what most people are going to end up joining. With that said, it's still definitely worth picking a major that you want to do, and feel will end up being useful in the long term.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
.... until you get out - most people are in the Navy from 5-10 years. Then you have to work somewhere else, and they might want to know what you majored in. They're also going to want to see a good GPA.

exNavyOffRec

This is all for you new people, aspiring aviators and the like. While it's true that STEM is preferred, your GPA is also a huge factor as well. Now I am not the smartest with numbers but that didn't stop me from my dream. The Navy wants to see you challenge yourself and work hard at it, however I would advise you to pick a major that has a good backup plan, as in if things don't work out, you can still feel successful. Remember, it's a tough world out there and you will be competing with everyone else. In the words of Shia Labeouf

aviation and SWO true, others not so much, several designators have a selection rate for non tech degrees that is awful compared to tech degrees, some boards may put "preferred" but they take it as almost required.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
aviation and SWO true, others not so much, several designators have a selection rate for non tech degrees that is awful compared to tech degrees, some boards may put "preferred" but they take it as almost required.

Which is baffling to me for some designators, particularly intel. One of the fundamental things intel folks ought to know how to do is write and tech majors often can't, at least in a coherent manner.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Which is baffling to me for some designators, particularly intel. One of the fundamental things intel folks ought to know how to do is write and tech majors often can't, at least in a coherent manner.

Baffling to me as well. By the time you are at O-4 and above, there is a good chance you will work on a staff. By the time you hit flag, you are in charge of different departments such as operations, plans, intel, etc. It would seem to me that a background in international relations, politics, logistics, history, etc would be more relevant than an engineering degree.

exNavyOffRec

No one cares about your GPA except other schools.

eh, it depends, I have been at career fairs where the civilian companies next to me were looking at GPA going no way, and trashing the resume, I have heard reasons from obviously doesn't ask for help, can't time manage, might have trouble adapting, might have trouble learning, maybe hasn't grown up yet, etc....

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
if you're just coming out of school, obviously GPA matters, but if it's bad, don't put it on your resume.

For your average JO, GPA is a non-factor for jobs.

Pags

N/A
pilot
if you're just coming out of school, obviously GPA matters, but if it's bad, don't put it on your resume.

For your average JO, GPA is a non-factor for jobs.
I've had to supply GPA and transcripts for some job applications.

jtmedli

pilot
eh, it depends, I have been at career fairs where the civilian companies next to me were looking at GPA going no way, and trashing the resume, I have heard reasons from obviously doesn't ask for help, can't time manage, might have trouble adapting, might have trouble learning, maybe hasn't grown up yet, etc....

Making all of those assertions based on a 1 page piece of paper? Sounds like a great place to work.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Making all of those assertions based on a 1 page piece of paper? Sounds like a great place to work.
For better or worse that's pretty much how the civilian hiring process goes. The first wicket to most jobs is your resume. If it doesn't look like what the company is looking for then you'll never get past the first wicket and on to an interview.

I'd say that degree matters a great deal post Navy. As beans mentioned, if you plan on leaving or get told to leave you better hope you have a degree that will set you up to work in an area you're interested in. as my peers leave the navy I've seen several guys with basket weaving degrees have a hard time finding work. Let alone work that allows them to keep their same QOL. Guys I know who had technical degrees didn't seem to have as much trouble.

exNavyOffRec

If you don't think it happens all the time at tons of companies you are in for a big wake up call, the average time a corporate recruiter spends on a first look on an application is around 30 seconds at best, the second cut is longer. I had one recruiter who is at a large well known company tell me they only have time for about 10 seconds per resume.

for the record I don't like it, I have seen many people I would consider tools get interviews because they knew how to tweak a resume.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Eh, yes and no. I have a useless degree and had no problem getting hired. Depends on what kind of job you are trying to get.
True. I'd say the exception is experience. If you've done all the stuff the job opening is asking for then that helps. If you have no experience and a degree then you might be ok. If you a relevant degree and experience then. you're probably looking good.