• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about final select letter

Zeppelin89

Hi all,

Just now got around to registering because I couldn't find the answer to a question of mine after using the search tool so I figured I may as well ask it.

I've been officially recommended to go to OCS to be a SWO. I am waiting on my final select letter. My recruiter told me that he expected it back in late February to early March. Today is the 19th and I haven't heard. I talked to him last week and he basically said he'll let me know when he gets it.

My questions:

Will he receive a notice regardless if I am selected or not? As in, if for some odd reason I do not get in, will he get a notice or do I just have to wait it out and at a certain date you just kind of accept that you didn't get in?

Say I do get my final select letter. What's the time span between knowing for sure you are going to OCS and actually heading there? I read a few posts on it and some said it took them 3-4 months and somewhere else I read that someone had a wait of around 6-8 months. I just wondered if there's an average or if it's random.

Thanks in advance.

paddybh1583

OCS 6 OCT 2013
It seems like it is a case by case thing. I found out I was pro-rec on 13 December and I am still waiting for my FS letter. Meanwhile another individual out of the same office, who received his pro-rec the same day as me, began OCS on 27 January... Just one of those things we have little control over

Zeppelin89

Thanks for the response. I was beginning to grow worried that I hadn't gotten in. I am out of college and without a full time job. If I don't get into OCS I'd like to know as soon as possible so I can start cranking out the resumes.

sparrowbomb

E-2 NFO
It is definitely one of those things that varies from person to person. Last year I applied to the January 2012 board, got pro-rec'd on 3 FEB then didn't get a final select letter until 25 MAY! The finsel letter said I'd be going to OCS on 8 July, but my recruiter had originally told me I wouldn't be going until later that year (~OCT/NOV 2012) so I had just so happened to make plans to go on vacation that week. I told my recruiter about it and he got me another OCS date in August without any hassles.
Long story short: don't stress; it'll come. Just keep up with PT so you'll be ready whenever you get the call to go!

Zeppelin89

Thanks for the info. My recruiter actually just called yesterday and said that he was pushing me up the priority list "up to the big boss" because I have been waiting so long.

Zeppelin89

My recruiter called today, informed me he hasn't gotten a hard copy of the letter yet, but got the message that I am in fact going to OCS in August!

USAF_WX2USN

I recieved both my final select letter and my orders the same day! But I've heard that usually you don't get your orders until about a month out, but the letter will have your class date.

DPS2114

For my reference, is the final select letter basically your contract. Meaning once you get your final select and sign it you are than committed to the Navy?

I was professionally recommended for pilot and my recruited said the next step is for me to sign a letter (Im assuming this is it) then they can process my OCS date.

Basically two questions

1.) Is the final select letter the point at which you "join" the navy.

2.) How long from signing final select to your actual OCS date. I see the last posts on here are dated so I do't know if anything has changed.

VQIW31

For my reference, is the final select letter basically your contract. Meaning once you get your final select and sign it you are than committed to the Navy?

I was professionally recommended for pilot and my recruited said the next step is for me to sign a letter (Im assuming this is it) then they can process my OCS date.

Basically two questions

2.) How long from signing final select to your actual OCS date. I see the last posts on here are dated so I do't know if anything has changed.
Not sure about #1 but your final select letter will have the OCS class date,(unless we're different on AD), and the amount of time between FS and when your class depends on a lot of factors that are unknown to me!

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot

Basically two questions

You officially joined and are contracted into the Navy when you receive your commission at Graduation at OCS. Before that, you can drop on request, or decide to not even go to OCS.

2) Typically 2 months, but it can vary on other factors.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
You officially joined and are contracted into the Navy when you receive your commission at Graduation at OCS. Before that, you can drop on request, or decide to not even go to OCS.

2) Typically 2 months, but it can vary on other factors.

I've seen final select letters arrive as soon as 2 weeks and as late as 6 months, mainly IDC programs where you have to go through a top secret clearance.

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
I've seen final select letters arrive as soon as 2 weeks and as late as 6 months, mainly IDC programs where you have to go through a top secret clearance.
is it safe to assume that if our recruiter thought our background/history was decent enough to submit a package and if we have also received a pro rec y for our program that it is just a matter of time before we get a FINSEL? What has caused hiccups in the past? I understand the whole getting arrested after Pro Y and things of that nature but anything in particular that usually keeps people from getting them?

LET73

The final select letter is nice to have, but it's not required. I never got a final select letter, and I went through OCS seven years ago; the Navy has, since then, continued to pay me, detail me, and promote me. The important thing is your orders which, someone correct me if I'm wrong, will come in due course following a pro Y from the selection board, all depending on quotas for your community for the fiscal year.

ABF2

Question: So once your Pro Y this means you are selected for that program? or do you need the final select to solidify that you are selected?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Question: So once your Pro Y this means you are selected for that program? or do you need the final select to solidify that you are selected?

PRO-Y means you've been recommended for selection pending additional items (medical/security clearance). FS is the official letter stating you've been selected.