• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Process of getting PRK when NFO and waiting for OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a BDCP NFO and will be going to OCS in Jan. '06. I was wondering if and how I could get PRK before I go down to OCS. Who do I need to contact and if I had to wait (I've heard there's a long waiting list) would I be able to get it done during OCS/Flight School?

Thanks.

NickPollock19

Prospective Candidate for OCS
you can always get PRK from a private doctor, they were able to schedule me 2 weeks from when i decided i would get it. I am goin to PLC 2nd increment 05, and had PRK done roughly 2 weeks ago. I'm goin pilot, but doubt it will make any difference if you are goin NFO.

NickPollock19

oh also, you need to have 20/20 before OCS (At least for pilot, i would imagine you need the vision requirments for NFO before OCS as well)

Well I'm more interested in just being able to wake up and see in the morning. Switching to pilot isn't really in the cards since I failed my depth perception test and I don't believe that would be fixed by PRK.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are in BDCP your a$$ belongs to the government. Don't go get you eyes cut on before checking with your NRD/recruiter. They will want to make sure your procedure will not disqualifiy you and you may even need written permission. Imagine this. Something goes wrong and you have eye damage. Since you are active duty you can get life long disability on discharge (and you will be) from the Navy. But what if the Navy refuses to pay you disability because it wasn't done at a military facility or you hdidn't get permission for the procedure? You will be left out in the cold. The golden goose shot squarely in the head. Be very careful!!

Wink,

Isn't there some kind of waiting list I can get on where I get PRK and the military pays for it. That's what I'm after.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Check with your recruiter. Active duty folks can get PRK at military facilities or at a civ one through TRICARE, but, they may not approve it for you until you are through flight school. I'm not sure about this one. There is no waiting list per se, just make sure it is ok with your recruiter and then call the nearest military hospital or go through TRICARE if you are eligible. Since it is elective, the military may have you scheduled some months out. You absolutely must be fully recovered (3 months ?) by the time you go to OCS and get the big NAMI physical.

albie

In The DEP, OCS April 9, 2005, Designator NFO
i'm a snfo, signed in june 04 awaiting ocs in april 05, almost here. anyways i have been told that there is no way to get prk before you go to ocs that you can get it once you get through flight school, and hit the fleet. I don't know if this is bad gouge but this is what i have been told by my recruiter and with the opo, who was also and nfo, where i signed my contract. i'd be interested if this was the whole truth of the matter. are you just talking about this or did someone tell you, from a reliable source that is, that you could have this operation done?

albie

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I THINK your recruiter has it right. Once you are selected they don't want you changing your medical status. Now there may be differences between a BDCP guy and a regular OCS candidate not being paid while in DEP. There is no percentage in a recruiter not being straight with ya. If you think he is simply misinformed you can ask to see the documentation he has relied on.

NickPollock19

saying that you can't get PRK before you go to OCS is a false statement. Getting PRK before OCS on the Marine Corps' dollar is a true statement. I got PRK about 2 weeks ago, and i am going to PLC this summer 2nd increment. Only catch, i paid for it myself. The plus side to me paying for it is that if i hit 20/20 before i go to OCS this summer, i have a flight contract. I could have gone in as a ground contract and applied to get PRK from the Marines, and then applied to get an air contract, but i figured the likely hood of events occuring were low.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, I never said you can not get PRK before OCS. I said the Navy will not pay for it if you are a non BDCP guy in DEP. I also said that the Navy will not like you changing your med status without giving them a heads up. That is why I said "check with your recruiter." In anycase, USMC Candidate is, well, a Marine candidate. The Navy may be entirely different and probably is since the Marines seem to need aviation guys and the Navy doesn't.

I'm almost 100% sure about this answer but PRK will not change your depth perception right? Thus if I failed it at MEPS I would still fail it after PRK.

Status
Not open for further replies.