• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK Waiver Guaranteed?

poobear24

Hello again everyone,

As we've discussed in other threads, PRK is approved for SNA. However, a waiver must be granted before being selected. I was just curious if the waiver was pretty much guaranteed (assuming everything went well during the surgery) or are there a limited number of waivers granted by a flight surgeon. I guess what I'm trying to ask is if the PRK waiver was just another piece of paperwork to fill out on an application for SNA. I don't want to get PRK just to get the waiver disapproved.

Thanks.

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
Nothing is ever guaranteed, however, provided everything goes well with the surgery and you meet pre- and post- operative requirements, the waiver should be a technicality. At OCS, they do a full eye work up, and the flight surgeon took a look at my paperwork, and said everything was good. That being said, I'm home for the stand-down right now, and I have not yet recieved my waiver, and I don't know when it will come, but I'm confident it will. But again, they can do whatever the Hell they want. If your eyes are out of limits right now, and you want to fly, your hand is pretty much forced; get the surgery.

poobear24

Thanks BigJeffray. Yah, I'm a little concerned because I'm in a small bind. I posted on another thread describing my situation, but basically I was Pro-Rec'd for both SNA and NFO, but my eyesight DQ'd me for pilot. As a result, I'm currently set for NFO but trying to get it changed back to SNA pending successful PRK. I don't have an OCS date yet so I'm hoping I can get it done and wait three months before I get shipped. The reason I asked if PRK was guaranteed was that I didn't want to risk giving up NFO if things didn't turn out. My recruiter hasn't been very helpful because he says it's out of his realm. But we'll see how it goes once I talk to a flight surgeon about it. Thanks for the feedback!