• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
OK, I've read all the stuff I can find on PRK, but I can't really find the answer I'm looking for. Here's my question....I dropped a package for STA-21 this year. If I choose to get PRK done by a civilian Doc (asigned cat4 for navy wait list=too long a wait) will it affect anything? Will I have any problems after I am selected? It seems that as long as you get the fit for full duty chit after the surgery you are good to go. I didn't put in for pilot or nfo, but if I get selected for core I would like to try for either pilot or NFO...long story, I have retained hardware on my clavicle so I need a waiver for flight phys. and it was looking iffy, so I just put in for supply and core. I figure I can always do a lateral transfer once I get picked up if I can get the waiver. So, back to my question...will I have any problems with phys etc if I get PRK done on my own??

Sorry for the rambling post :D

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We have had several STA-21 students get PRK while attached to the NROTC. If the collar bone hardware is waiverable, you could get the surgery at the NROTC and compete for a flight slot. Good luck.
ea6bflyr

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
ea6bflyr said:
We have had several STA-21 students get PRK while attached to the NROTC. If the collar bone hardware is waiverable, you could get the surgery at the NROTC and compete for a flight slot. Good luck.
ea6bflyr

ea6b,
The flight surgeon I was talking to seemed to feel that a waiver was not going to be much of a problem, depending on what the Ortho doctor said in his prognosis. I just didn't want to take the chance because I would not have had an answer on the waiver before the 1Jul deadline. But, If I get picked up for core I intend to go for it. So, PRK is ok to get done while in school for STA-21...COOL!! :D

SAR522

Turtle,
I'm applying for STA-21 pilot option this year (just sent my package out yesterday). I had PRK done last month by a civilian doc (ex navy). The navy doc said the waiver is the same reguardless of who performs the surgery. I was a cat. 2 on the navys waiting list and the wait was 3-6 years. PRK has been great so far (20/15 in both eyes) but I'm still waiting for the SNA physical. There is a required 3 month wait after the surgery.

Whatsisname

Blind as a bat
fixed for desired clarification

VetteMuscle427 said:
Do they approve PRK for BDCP students on the assumption that you will have the procedure prior to being shipped off to OCS?

Status
Not open for further replies.