• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK Paperwork

sanders

So it took me a while to figure out what paperwork I need concerning PRK, but after doing lots of research on airwarriors and through my OSO, I made a checklist that I kind of wish i had before getting PRK back in December.

1. Before surgery (for me, it was a few weeks prior to surgery) you will have what is called an orb scan. It will probably be two pages (one for each eye). Keep it.

2. Make sure you ask your doctor before the surgery to make an "op report" during the procedure. Ask him to record all the anesthesia, eye pressure levels, times, equiptment used, and everything else used during the procedure.

3. You must get a 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 3 month, and 6 month post-op checkup. Keep records of these checkups. I was told by my OSO that if an individual eye is corrected to better than 20/20, this could be disqualifying. Ask the doctor to write down 20/20 for your eye, even if it is 20/15. It is not a problem if both eyes combined are better than 20/20. For example, I had a post op recently and I was told my right eye was 20/15, but I asked the doctor to write down 20/20. Combined, my vision is better than 20/20 but that is not a problem.

As a side note, I really did not do enough research before I got PRK. I am an air contract and have completed juniors Marine OCS and am supposed to go back for seniors on 4, July this summer. I had my surgery in December, meaning my 6 month post op should be in the middle of June, however after talking to my OSO I realized this is not enough time to get the paperwork through to clear me for training, so I was forced to get a 5 month post op instead. Another issue is that during the procedure, the doctor did not record my eye pressure, which I have heard can be a problem when it comes to BUMED. Does anybody have any gouge on whether or not either of these issues will be a problem?

Thanks for the insight.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Why would it matter if you ended up with 20/15 or 20/10???

I don't think it would be appropriate for me to ask the doctor to fudge the numbers...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
NAMI requires 20/20 OR BETTER.If you're 20/15, then put 20/15.

I'm 20/40, so should I just write 20/20? NO! Put what your vision is and let the doctors decide what to do with you.

nugget81

pilot
What I think he may be getting at has to do with vision degradation. If you're marked down as 20/15 and show up as 20/20 or 20/25, NAMI could give you some grief. However, that's just a guess. Thinking about it further, what does Col. Sanders mean by that statement?

I was 20/20 after PRK and tested 20/30 at NAMI. They still granted me the waiver and issued me glasses--then again I'm one of the luckiest bastards on the planet! :D

Immy

I think what he means is if your left eye is 20/20 and your right is 20/15. Because the right is different from the left, it could be disqualifying. So just put 20/20 for both. No harm no foul. But that's just what I got out of what he said.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I think what he means is if your left eye is 20/20 and your right is 20/15. Because the right is different from the left, it could be disqualifying. So just put 20/20 for both. No harm no foul. But that's just what I got out of what he said.

NO. When does lying EVER become acceptable?? 20/20 and 20/15 is NOT an issue. Especially if one eye is BETTER than 20/20 (ie: 20/15). It only becomes an issue when the eyes are separated by like 3.00 dipoters or something ridiculous. Just PUT WHAT YOU HAVE and let the chips fall where they may. Jesus...

sanders

Just saying what my OSO told me. It is not a problem if both eyes combined are better than 20/20. Mine are. I was told that if an individual eye is better than 20/20 it is disqualifying. Does not make sense to me either, just repeating what I have heard from my oso.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Just saying what my OSO told me. It is not a problem if both eyes combined are better than 20/20. Mine are. I was told that if an individual eye is better than 20/20 it is disqualifying. Does not make sense to me either, just repeating what I have heard from my oso.

Well, AFAIK, your OSO is full of sh!t. Your eyes can be "better" than 20/20 with NO repercussions.

If you don't believe me, then READ THE WAIVER GUIDE on NOMI's (NAMI's) website. Your OSO doesn't write the medical rules, NAMI does, so belive them over ALL.

This is their opthamology page. If you have a question about vision or eyes, it's HERE:

http://navmedmpte.med.navy.mil/nomi/nami/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver Guide - Ophthalmology.pdf

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
As a side note, I really did not do enough research before I got PRK. I am an air contract and have completed juniors Marine OCS and am supposed to go back for seniors on 4, July this summer. I had my surgery in December, meaning my 6 month post op should be in the middle of June, however after talking to my OSO I realized this is not enough time to get the paperwork through to clear me for training, so I was forced to get a 5 month post op instead. Another issue is that during the procedure, the doctor did not record my eye pressure, which I have heard can be a problem when it comes to BUMED. Does anybody have any gouge on whether or not either of these issues will be a problem?

Thanks for the insight.

I am in literally the same boat as you. Completed juniors already, got the procedure done in December and am returning this july, but I havnt been told anything about having paperwork cleared for training. My OSO told me not to even worry about getting my surgery information together until I need to go for my flight physical.

Can you elaborate on this?

lewisville1863

I am in literally the same boat as you. Completed juniors already, got the procedure done in December and am returning this july, but I havnt been told anything about having paperwork cleared for training. My OSO told me not to even worry about getting my surgery information together until I need to go for my flight physical.

Can you elaborate on this?

Where in the world are you all getting the procedure done at? Canada? Ethiopia? Your friend's basement? A reputable doctor or group of doctors will mostly follow the same steps with the procedure. It should be documented correctly. I had PRK done in OCT 2006 and it went smoothly. Yeah, I had to ask for paperwork that 90% of other civilian clients don't care about but they had documented all of it correctly. My advice to any of you out there considering PRK, check out the docs doing the work, DO NOT just look at the cost and location as the most important factors.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
...location does make things a tad bit easier when it's closer to you. Going to San Diego for my PRK has not been entirely convenient...but then again, it's your eyes, so do it right!

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Where in the world are you all getting the procedure done at? Canada? Ethiopia? Your friend's basement? A reputable doctor or group of doctors will mostly follow the same steps with the procedure. It should be documented correctly. I had PRK done in OCT 2006 and it went smoothly. Yeah, I had to ask for paperwork that 90% of other civilian clients don't care about but they had documented all of it correctly. My advice to any of you out there considering PRK, check out the docs doing the work, DO NOT just look at the cost and location as the most important factors.

Huh?? My question has nothing to do with whether my doc documented my procedure correctly or not. It has to do with the fact that my OSO told me not that they dont need the paperwork until I go for my flight physical AFTER seniors.

I have nothing but the utmost confidence in my Doc's work. I paid the extra money to go with someone reputable.