• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK last minute check-list questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyboy21

I'm in ROTC and I have the LasEk variant of PRK scheduled for Monday, 2 August. I have already had all the necessary meetings with the officers at my unit including the aviation officer, the XO, and the CO. As far as I know right now, the only paperwork other than their signatures of approval that I need to have before the surgery is the pre-operative info. on the PRK accession worksheet filled out by my doctor. I think I'm good to go, but just to be on the safe side, I was wondering if anyone more experienced with the PRK waiver process, whether from the OCS or ROTC side of the house, knew of anything more that I need to have filled out before the operation (i.e. Are there any other pieces of paper from NETC are NOMI, etc. that I need to have filled out). Otherwise, am I correct in thinking that as long as I have the pre-op. PRK worksheet filled out and the info. from my post-op check-ups from my doctor, I will have all the paperwork I need in order to submit a waiver request after my 6 months are up? Thanks for the help.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
Sounds like you got all your stuff squared away. That was all I needed when I did it two years ago. What's going to happen is that you are going to have to get copies of EVERYTHING and fax them down to BUMED and NOMI. It takes forever for the waiver to come but just be patient. One thing I needed (and they might have changed it since then) that you didn't mention was written permission from your CO. It's not a biggie since he can always do it later and back-date it.

Good luck with the surgery!!

flyboy21

Thanks, Red, it's comforting to know that I'm on the right track. Thanks for the heads up about the CO permission. I've already met with him, and he's given me the green light.

I still wouldn't mind hearing from anybody who had to go through the process within the last year or so if you have got any different gouge on the subject.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
The OCS track is all done after the surgery, so you just have to make sure everything is OK before hand. Are you getting the Custom Cornea and the Inner Wave? I reccomend it.

flyboy21

I believe the laser is the Visx Star IV with Tracker. What are some of the major things I should worry about after surgery? Just making sure I stay consistent with my drops to prevent hazing is the majority of what I've heard so far.

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
flyboy21 said:
I'm in ROTC and I have the LasEk variant of PRK scheduled .
I thought you could only get PRK done. Don't they cut the flap in lasek like they do in lasik? I thought that was the reason for getting PRK vice lasik/lasek. Now I'm really confused...

flyboy21

As far as the Navy is concerned PRK and LasEk are the same, i.e. acceptable. However, for aviation, LasIk is not approved. Think of LasEk as just a slightly less painful, more improved version of PRK. LasEk does in fact make a small cut, but it is less invasive than the LasIk cut.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
flyboy21 said:
I believe the laser is the Visx Star IV with Tracker. What are some of the major things I should worry about after surgery? Just making sure I stay consistent with my drops to prevent hazing is the majority of what I've heard so far.

STAY OUT OF THE LIGHT!! You're going to be a vampire for about 3-5 days. Artificial light will hurt, sunlight will really hurt. Your life is pretty much going to be: take meds, sleep, eat, take meds, sleep, go to the doc for a follow up, take meds, sleep, etc... That is why it is recommended that you do this over the summer or a vacation, not during school.

PudriK

SCGA (VT-3)
Red2 said:
STAY OUT OF THE LIGHT!! You're going to be a vampire for about 3-5 days. Artificial light will hurt, sunlight will really hurt. Your life is pretty much going to be: take meds, sleep, eat, take meds, sleep, go to the doc for a follow up, take meds, sleep, etc... That is why it is recommended that you do this over the summer or a vacation, not during school.

Yeah, especially because you can't read anything for at least a couple weeks after the surgery. I was using the extra-large fonts and high contrast setting for Windows at work in a sorry attempt to accomplish anything a week after the surgery. Even watching movies at home is tough... pick some you've already seen so you won't miss anything.

flyboy21

Well, guys, first off, thanks for all the help and advice. However, I've got some bad news to report...the doctor refused to do the surgery. Per my CO's instructions and others on the forum, 2 weeks before surgery I typed up a list of questions about the procedure, chances of success, risks, etc. These were questions that I deemed to be merely for fact finding and not to challenge her expertise (i.e. "What type of laser do you use? How often is it recalibrated? What is the usual success rate? etc.") Well, on Friday for my final pre-op check up, she was very different and didn't seem as friendly as before. We later found out that she had merely been intimidated by my questions and eagerness to double check the facts. Even though she seemed weird on Friday, the surgery was still scheduled to be yesterday, Monday, 2 August. When I arrived at the surgical center, I was first asked to sign a LASIK consent form which I refused to do because I was getting LASEK. Apparently, this freaked out the staff as well. So after we had already paid the money, about 15 minutes before surgery, the Doctor called my father and me back to her office for what I thought were going to be pre-op instructions. Instead, she gave me my money back, told me that I was "demanding too much perfection", basically said my exploratory questions were not welcome, and basically kicked us out of her office. Needless to say, I'm still somewhat in shock. So now I'm looking into finding another doctor.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever heard of anything like this happening before.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Your doc freaked out over a couple of questions? I'm looking into having PRK done and so far the two docs I've spoken with were more than happy to answer any question I could come up with.

It sounds like you're better off having it done somewhere else, she must not have been very confident in her surgical abilities. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
That crazy, I think your better off not having it at that place. I went to a place called LasikPlus and thought it was great. Don't get discouraged because of this, go talk to another Doc!!

flyboy21

Thanks for the input from all. I'm glad to hear that I wasn't way out in left field thinking that my former doc really messed me over. I've got an appointment on Friday with another doc to start the process up again. I hope this go around gives me a better result.

skier13

Refractive Error

Does anybody know what the refractiver error limit for PRK is? I am planning on going to Annapolis and getting it done there. I currently have a -5.75 refractive error. Thanks for any information.

Status
Not open for further replies.