• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK In South Texas

Dig

Hello everyone :)

I live in the Rio Grande Valley in deep South Texas (very southern tip). I am having a problem finding anyone in the area that performs any type of PRK surgery. I would be willing to travel to San Antonio or Austin to get this done. Hopefully, I won't have to go further than that. I would not mind traveling for the surgery, but the checkups would kill me. Any info is more than appreciated :). Thanks.

Rasczak

Marine
Doesn't Raulito do it?
If no one in the valley, then try for Corpus maybe?

Welcome! Finally someone from my neck of the woods!

Dig

Doesn't Raulito do it?

Welcome! Finally someone from my neck of the woods!

Haha what part of the valley do you live in? :D
Edinburg here.

I've checked with Shaw, Pena, Menrique, etc. One or two of them have offices in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that they perform the surgery at, but none of them seem to do PRK operations. They are some of the finest Lasik surgeons in the state from what I have heard.

Rasczak

Marine
Edinburg. I'm at PanAm.
Have you tried to google PRK + Corpus? I think you should be able to get some hits with that.

Dig

Edinburg. I'm at PanAm.
Have you tried to google PRK + Corpus? I think you should be able to get some hits with that.

Nice, what are you majoring in?

That came up with a list of doctors that I will have to call. I'll do a bit of research and report back. I would probably rather bite the bullet and head up to San Antonio. There are some extremely reputable doctors up there that do PRK operations. SA is give or take three hours from here right?

Rasczak

Marine
A little under 2 years.
I'm trying. Chances don't look to good right now. I enlisted in the reserves for the mean time. Going to apply for PLC for the following summer. You going USMC or USN?

Dig

A little under 2 years.
I'm trying. Chances don't look to good right now. I enlisted in the reserves for the mean time. Going to apply for PLC for the following summer. You going USMC or USN?

Cool. Stay motivated man, you'll be there in no time.

I have about two years left as well, but I have been going for quite some time off and on. I screwed around a lot my first two years, and now I am paying for it. My GPA is kind of screwed up and I'll be close to the age cut off for SNA when I graduate. Thats just more motivation to finish up and do as well as I can while doing it. I've also got a good bit of weight to lose I've gained from being a lazy ass the last few years. Thats the easy part though ;)

USN all the way, but I'll be applying to both given my situation. I'm looking to get this surgery in the next year or so so that I'll be eligible for a PRK waiver when I graduate. How's the reserves treating you? You doing BDCP?

Rasczak

Marine
I'm in the same boat dude. It's a pain. Just trying to get everything done as fast as possible and get outta here. If I don't stay on track, I'll run the risk of passing the cut off age.
I'm trying to apply for the PLC program through the Marine Corps.
If you need to contact the USMC OSA here in valley(if you haven't already) his number is 3588032. Gunnery Sergeant Garcia.
What are you majoring in?

Dig

I'm in the same boat dude. It's a pain. Just trying to get everything done as fast as possible and get outta here. If I don't stay on track, I'll run the risk of passing the cut off age.
I'm trying to apply for the PLC program through the Marine Corps.
If you need to contact the USMC OSA here in valley(if you haven't already) his number is 3588032. Gunnery Sergeant Garcia.
What are you majoring in?

English. Yeah I know, real competitive :p. I chose it back before going to OCS was one of my goals, and I'm sticking with it so that I can graduate before age cut off. I want to get a minor in physics after I graduate though. I'll have a year or two to apply, so it can only help me out if I get denied a few times.

Thanks for the information. However, I doubt he would even talk to me until I lose a bit more weight. I'll definitely hold onto it though :). How is he? I've heard some horror stories about USMC recruiters lol.

Dig

Apparently, I received some bad information when I called Shaw Eye Center.

For anyone looking for PRK in this area, Shaw Eye Center does offer it, but it is not advertised at all.

MettGT

pilot
Apparently, I received some bad information when I called Shaw Eye Center.

For anyone looking for PRK in this area, Shaw Eye Center does offer it, but it is not advertised at all.

That's going to be the case just about anywhere you go. Most people want LASIK, and PRK is usually offered as an alternative if they're not a good candidate for LASIK.