• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK for thin corneas

vmid009

Hey I was wondering if anyone could care to give me some input. I'm a 2/c mid and i had the whole PRK process set up until the doctor told me i had thin corneas. Is there anyone out there that had the surgery done with thin corneas? If so how thin? The doc made it sound like it was possible but risky. I've done a lot of research and i know theres still NFO but i'd rather be pilot. Any input is appreciated.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
From what I gathered from my Doc, is that they usually perscribe PRK to patients seeking Lasik but have thin corneas so I would ASSUME that its a lot safer then say other types os laser surgery...of course, im not a doctor....

Jeff29

Science Project
Hey I was wondering if anyone could care to give me some input. I'm a 2/c mid and i had the whole PRK process set up until the doctor told me i had thin corneas. Is there anyone out there that had the surgery done with thin corneas? If so how thin? The doc made it sound like it was possible but risky. I've done a lot of research and i know theres still NFO but i'd rather be pilot. Any input is appreciated.

I know that part of the issue is your pre-op perscription. The worse your eyes are, the more corneal tissue they will need to remove. Also there is a pretty large variance with lasers. Some are a lot better at preserving corneal tissue than others. If you know your current prescription, and what options you have with different lasers, you could do some research for best options. Ultimately though, I assume that the docs at the Academy know all of this (although they may not have access to the laser that would be best for your case). If they are willing to do the surgery, you'll just have the weigh the risk and rewards. Also, if the docs determine that a different laser may work better for you, they may be willing to refer you to an outside clinic. I had a fairly unique case (while in flight school), and the Navy determined that my best option was to be treated by a non-military doctor who had better equiptment.

Try googling Thin Cornea PRK