• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK experience?

FDX

It's mind games!
Will anyone who has had PRK please share their experience with me. Benefits? Risks? Downfalls? Success? Was it worth it? etc....
I would appreciate it, thanks.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Will anyone who has had PRK please share their experience with me. Benefits? Risks? Downfalls? Success? Was it worth it? etc....
I would appreciate it, thanks.

Check out the PRK area and use the search. All your questions will be answered there. Welcome aboard.

Brett

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
PRK was the only major financial expense I've made that I have zero regrets about. Downfall would be more paperwork to deal with, but hey, ya gotta get used to it some time :)

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I went from 20/400 in the left to 20/20. 20/450 in the right to 20/25. I am pleased w/ the results and got my SNA designation. Only prob was that it hurt like a b!tch for 3 days.

tlord82

pilot
I went from being -5.25 or worse in both eyes (for those who have never had eye problems, that basically means that you can't read the big E) to having 20/15 vision. surgery was a breeze and my eyes healed fine in no time. only suggestion is to continually use the wetting drops to keep your eyes moist. good luck!

nugget81

pilot
It's been over a year and half since I had PRK, and I'd still do it all over again. Best use of money ever! And yes...it does hurt like a b!tch for 3 days....

FDX

It's mind games!
Has anyone had a bad experience with prk? By bad i mean, permanent vision damage, worse vision post-op, etc.? ive searched the threads, but everyones experience has been pretty good. Thank you all for your input.

best thing ive ever done. went from 20/70 to 20/15. the only thing i disliked was the pain for the first 3 days (felt like sweaty sunscreen was in my eyes). my mom is active duty navy and also had it done about 3 months ago and 120% satisfied.

GatorP

I had it done about a month ago and i love it. I am 20/20 and my only beef is that i still have some halos at night but those are getting smaller everyday. Recovery sucked but was really worth it.

flyerstud4

Recovery time sucked, but went from medium bad eyes to 20/15 in both. Make sure you are within specs to get a waiver after the surgery. If you are eyes are really bad, there might be some problems later.. i.e. getting the waiver. best of luck

AppleCello

Hey FDX. PRK was the best money I've ever spent, only regret was that I waited so long to do it!

check out my ENTIRE write-up on the experience on my webpage, PM me if you want even more info.

PRK Blog

Patrick

nugget81

pilot
Has anyone had a bad experience with prk? By bad i mean, permanent vision damage, worse vision post-op, etc.? ive searched the threads, but everyones experience has been pretty good. Thank you all for your input.

Minor loss of reading vision. More of a slight annoyance than anything really. Otherwise A-OK!

HalfBreed

None
My PRK experience was awesome. No pain and perfect vision. But since you wanted the downsides . . .

My eyes will sometimes get so dry that they tear uncontrollably (often at inopportune times, like driving at night). Solution: carry eyedrops for when they start to feel dry.

A former roommate of mine had one of his eyes scar over after PRK. I'm not sure if his actual vision was affected by this or not, but he just had PRK on that eye again to burn off the scar and he hasn't had problems since.

FlyingBeagle

pilot
It works (fixed my eyes and got me a jet slot), but it does hurt, and it takes a long time to heal. Look up Recurrent corneal errosion (i think that is what it is called). Basically, your eyes dry at night and the healing cells stick to your eyelid. if you open your eyes really fast in the morning after this happens, you basically tear the surface layer off, risk damaging your eyes, set back the healing time, and wake up everyone in your dorm with your banshee like screams.

For the first few months, use drops constantly. I would keep them with you at all times and use them regularly for atleast a year. Buy a humidifier for your room when you sleep.

Keep going in for checkups, but tell them if something hurts, especially when they're removing the protective contacts they put in after the surgery.
If you're going to do it, don't skimp. Get the best doctor/equipment you can find.

P.S. Don't watch video of the surgery or you'll never go through with it. As for the guy who had to go back. . . I had nightmares I'd have to go back for round 2.

FDX

It's mind games!
Thanks for the input guys. I scheduled my consultation today. It's in a month. Also talked to my regular eye doc and she said that i am a great candidate for it because i have a small prescription. Im only 20/80. Thanks Apple Cello for your blog.
cheers
FDX