• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK Enlightenment?

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
I am submitting my pilot package this June for the NAVY. My main concern right now is my vision.

I have 20/30. I went to the doctor to get an exam and I can be corrected to 20/20 except for my right eye. It has a slight astigmatism. I could read about half of the 20/20 line with just my right eye. Left and both eyes are okay for 20/20. The doctor told me to fell correcting lenses until MEPS, so that is what I am doing. He said it will rest my eyes and adjust them to better see through a correcting lense.

If I cannot pass the eye exam, what are the possibilities of getting PRK? Is there anything I can do now to up my chances of getting it? Do higher ASTB scores make me more "worthwhile" to get PRK?

MGoBrew11

pilot
If I cannot pass the eye exam, what are the possibilities of getting PRK? Is there anything I can do now to up my chances of getting it? Do higher ASTB scores make me more "worthwhile" to get PRK?

No. No one is more "worthwhile" to get PRK. You pay for it yourself and hope it works out. They Navy doesn't gamble on you going the OCS route. You gamble on yourself.

The Navy waits while your PRK heals and then you submit the paperwork to them. If they like what they see you're golden and on your way. If they don't like what they see you are SOL.

jbweldon04

Eye Guy
From what I can infer from your post you are asking if you should get PRK???
There's no need to get PRK if you're 20/30. The requirements for a pilot are 20/40 uncorrected and correctable to 20/20 with glasses or contacts.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
No. No one is more "worthwhile" to get PRK. You pay for it yourself and hope it works out. They Navy doesn't gamble on you going the OCS route. You gamble on yourself.

The Navy waits while your PRK heals and then you submit the paperwork to them. If they like what they see you're golden and on your way. If they don't like what they see you are SOL.

thanks, this was very helpful. I am working extra in order to save for the just in case PRK.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
From what I can infer from your post you are asking if you should get PRK???
There's no need to get PRK if you're 20/30. The requirements for a pilot are 20/40 uncorrected and correctable to 20/20 with glasses or contacts.

I have read into PRK some more and have a reply to your comment and then some more general questions. Hopefully I can get some answers even though this isn't a new post.

Yes, I know I meet the minimum 20/40 requirements but my astigmatism in my right eye may not allow that eye to get to 20/20 with correction. So my problem isn't that I have below 20/40 but that I cannot correct my right eye enough to meet the Navy requirements.

Doctor Visit:
I went to the doctor and he said that I had trouble reading the 20/20 with my right eye and he that could not correct it fully (20/20 seeing with both eyes but that still doesn't cut it, I do not think). He attributed this to an astigmatism of the right eye and lack of sleep. He told me to get more sleep before MEPS and wear the prescribed glasses to get my eyes used to lenses.

What I have learned:
I assumed that if I wore the glasses, get sleep, take lutein, etc. I could pass the MEPS exam. I did not realize there was another one at OCS, and I do not want to fail that one since that would complicate things (I would be disqualified from both NFO and Pilot). I also did not know that you would have to reapply completely if you failed the MEPS physical. I thought they just postponed your FS date for 6 months until they can check out the PRK results. So now I do not know what to do.

Questions:
My packet is on its way to the board for July. Should I try to get PRK now to fix my astigmatism (yes its a minor and is < 1.00) on my right eye or should I just push through and see if I pass the exams? Would I be able to get PRK now and still have time to receive my FS in time without getting a non-select? Can I get PRK on just my right eye to fix the astigmatism, and let my left be at 20/30? If I got a pro-rec but got NPQ will it be likely that I get selected a second time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MGoBrew11

pilot
Questions:
My packet is on its way to the board for July. Should I try to get PRK now to fix my astigmatism (yes its a minor and is < 1.00) on my right eye or should I just push through and see if I pass the exams? Would I be able to get PRK now and still have time to receive my FS in time without getting a non-select? Can I get PRK on just my right eye to fix the astigmatism, and let my left be at 20/30? If I got a pro-rec but got NPQ will it be likely that I get selected a second time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I can shed some light on this as I just went through something sort of similar.

I don't recommend getting PRK right before a board. I got PRK in October 2011, 3 months before my January 2012 SNA board. I was pro-recommended and assumed everything would be good to go by April 2012 to get a FS (6 months from surgery). I was dead wrong. Results for that board came out earlier than expected and so I had a real time crunch. By the time my 6 month post op visit came and went, we were really pressed for time as MEPS didn't want to see me until after the 6 months (which in hindsight is a joke...they don't even look at the documents for the surgery). At that point, it was May and my pro-rec had technically expired.

After visiting MEPS I was NPQed by N3M for unstable vision following surgery. I went back to the surgeon, had another checkup and this time I was stable...this was late May. I did not get my PQ letter until two days ago (late June)...more than 4 months after getting the pro-rec.

My OR and I put together a recon package in which I basically just stated why it took me so long after the pro-rec to get everything together. It seems more or less a formality that I will get my pro-rec back and ultimately a FS. HOWEVER....I am still at the mercy of the PM, NOT A BOARD, and you never know what can happen. Additionally, I am only 4 months out from my pro rec. In your best case scenario you will be 5 months out, worst case 8. They will be less likely to show you mercy.

Bottom line: if you get PRK this close to your board date you will most likely lose your pro-rec status and just have to apply all over again.

EDIT: I guess this goes without saying, but see what your recruiter says. If he/she is willing to go along with your plan, you may be able to make it work in the same way I did...but since your PRK waiver eligibility will be well outside of the 3 month window to get a FS after a pro-rec, he/she may not let you.

jjryan07

Iron Eagle
deadweather

Did you follow doctor's orders and stay out of contact lenses? If so, did it help you? I had PRK in May. My doctor had me out of contacts for a month before surgery. I was amazed at how much better my vision was after 3-4 weeks without contacts, both with and without my glasses. If you did not give the "no contacts" prescription a try, I would definitely recommend it. 5 weeks out of surgery, I am hovering between 20/20 and 20/30. Surgery for me was not an option as I was 20/200 uncorrected before. I am now submitted to the July board and hoping everything works out. I would recommend surgery to anyone who is in the position that I was, but your case is obviously much different. I hope being out of contacts is all you need, it really helped me and I had way worse vision than you. Hopefully it can get you just that little bit of crispness you need.

Good luck

jbweldon04

Eye Guy
Doctor Visit:
I went to the doctor and he said that I had trouble reading the 20/20 with my right eye and he that could not correct it fully (20/20 seeing with both eyes but that still doesn't cut it, I do not think). He attributed this to an astigmatism of the right eye and lack of sleep. He told me to get more sleep before MEPS and wear the prescribed glasses to get my eyes used to lenses.

I'm an optician in the Navy at a Naval Air Station where we see Aviation Candidates like yourself monthly. If you can't be corrected to 20/20 then your issue doesn't become a refractive error. PRK corrects refractive errors. When you have to read a chart for visual acuity, it's more difficult than the usual Snellen Chart you read at your Doctor's visit. The chart is called a goodlite chart where the letters are closer together. There are many different reasons why you might not be able to see 20/20 with glasses, but the most usual ones are amblyopia which is a "lazy eye" sometimes brought on through strabismus (inability of your eye muscles to work together). If you can't be corrected to 20/20 you might want to start looking at different designators besides Pilot and NFO. Without seeing your Doctor's note though, I have less insight to what exactly is going on. If you do have amblyopia though, PRK and Lasik can't help you.

In my years as an optician, the hardest thing is when someone who wants to be an aviator comes into our clinic and we have to tell them no because of something like you have described. As a fellow Texan I hate to bring bad news, but see if you can get more information from the Optometrist.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
There are many different reasons why you might not be able to see 20/20 with glasses, but the most usual ones are amblyopia which is a "lazy eye" sometimes brought on through strabismus (inability of your eye muscles to work together). If you can't be corrected to 20/20 you might want to start looking at different designators besides Pilot and NFO. Without seeing your Doctor's note though, I have less insight to what exactly is going on. If you do have amblyopia though, PRK and Lasik can't help you.

Thanks for the helpful feedback. I have come to terms with my lousy eye sight and have started looking at other jobs and other branches, but I am just going to wait it out and see what happens.

I have no "obvious" reasons to think my right eye is a lazy eye, but I really do not know. My optometrist said it was because of an astigmatism; but then again, he didn't seem to be the most competent doctor I have met either. He said my my optic nerve was weird but he didn't seem concerned since I am young.

All he gave me was this prescription:

OD-
Sphere = +.50
Cylinder = -.75
Axis = 122​
OS-
Sphere = +.50
Cylinder = -.75
Axis = 064​
Dist PD = Near PD
Would it be worth while to visit another optometrist? Would doing eye exercises help any?

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the helpful feedback. I have come to terms with my lousy eye sight and have started looking at other jobs and other branches, but I am just going to wait it out and see what happens.

I have no "obvious" reasons to think my right eye is a lazy eye, but I really do not know. My optometrist said it was because of an astigmatism; but then again, he didn't seem to be the most competent doctor I have met either. He said my my optic nerve was weird but he didn't seem concerned since I am young.

All he gave me was this prescription:

OD-
Sphere = +.50​
Cylinder = -.75​
Axis = 122​
OS-
Sphere = +.50​
Cylinder = -.75​
Axis = 064​
Dist PD = Near PD
Would it be worth while to visit another optometrist? Would doing eye exercises help any?

Adding to what the Doc said it used to be if a person was correctable 20/25 N3M would give a thumbs up for being close enough, now if it is not correctable 20/20 you will only be cleared for those designators that are non line designators.

egd33

pilot
Contributor
jbweldon04 definitely hit the nail on the head. I am an SNA just out of OCS and can attest to the goodlite chart being much harder than the snellen. I barely got the 20/20 one 0 errors first try with correction in my right eye, though I was incredibly sleep deprived because I did not sleep at all the first night at OCS (that was the case with most of us and the physical was the next morning) which did not help. It is a 10x10 square block of 100 letters all equally spaced and very close together which made it a nightmare with my astigmatism (I could just about get it with my left eye uncorrected). I had PRK, but now have a prescription of 0 sphere and -.75 cylinder in both eyes (it was -5.0 sphere prior), so astigmatism is my issue as well and it just causes slight distortion. I don't wear glasses, but will be required to fly with them.

jbweldon04

Eye Guy

There is no reason not to try to get a 2nd opinion. Optometrists in the civilian world want to get patients through an exam as quick as possible to see as many as possible. That's why I like military medicine. If they see 10 patients one day and 20 the next, they still get the same pay. They take their time.

But, get a second opinion and see why you cannot be corrected to 20/20. Demand an answer that makes a lot of sense because astigmatic eyes can be corrected with contact lenses and glasses. This is your body, your career. Make them care for you as much as you care for yourself.

Also, I've never ever seen Dist PD = Near PD so that isn't a good sign in my opinion.

Eye exercises can't really help.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
There is no reason not to try to get a 2nd opinion. Optometrists in the civilian world want to get patients through an exam as quick as possible to see as many as possible. That's why I like military medicine. If they see 10 patients one day and 20 the next, they still get the same pay. They take their time.

But, get a second opinion and see why you cannot be corrected to 20/20. Demand an answer that makes a lot of sense because astigmatic eyes can be corrected with contact lenses and glasses. This is your body, your career. Make them care for you as much as you care for yourself.

Also, I've never ever seen Dist PD = Near PD so that isn't a good sign in my opinion.

Eye exercises can't really help.

You have been a great help. Thanks.

deadweather

Pro-Rec SNA & SNFO
UPDATE:

I just visited with an ophthalmologist (free evaluation), and they said my blurriness was from a slight astigmatism. They also said I was able to be fully corrected with PRK.

I also talked to my recruiter (who in turn talked to someone at the NRD), and he said I would hold my (potential) pro-rec through the surgery period. I heard this wasn't the case from others on this site, but I do not have a choice since the board is so close to meeting.

I will keep posting as I discover new things.