• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK enhancement/retreatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

jr57

How does a PRK enhancement (retreatment) affect the waiver process, since it is really a second surgery? I had PRK 3 years ago, I was probably a bit too young, as post-op vision got a bit worse. My vision is now 20/40, 20/50, and seems to have stablized. I may qualify for a free enhancement. I'm not sure how this would affet the waiver process. Also if I skipped the enhancement and applied NFO with my current vision, might this make it harder to get a waiver? My vision is correctable to 20/20. I meet all the waiver criteria, but am not sure if they are more selective then implied when handing out waivers. My worst nightmare is getting denied the waiver at OCS, or something along those lines. Thanks guys, this is a great resource!

jr57

i had it done about your age. my vision had been stable for at least a year beforehand. i think it has to do with all the reading and computer time in college since then. I would wait if I were you, until just before you apply to OCS.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I had mine at 22, worked great. I don't think that an enhancement should effect anything as long as the final result is ok.

jr57

I need an answer to this question. My eye doctor has approved me for a free enhancement. The only POC's I can find online are from 2000, and have not responded. Where can I get an answer to this question? Thanks!

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
jr57, try this it may not give you specifically the info you need,but it will give you a place to find someone to contact.

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/ophthalmology.htm#lasik

That is NAMI's regs on the waiver, but if you go to NAMI's othalmology page on that site you should get an e-mail addy for someone in the know.

BTW, the link is down I am guessing from Ivan. So when it comes back up you have a place to start. You might also think about talking to your recruiter and see if can find out anything or put you in contact with someone who does.

Good Luck! I am preparing to go down that road, too!

jr57

I'm still looking for an answer to this, and I can't find it anywhere. I'm getting ready to go ahead with the enhancement, but I would feel alot more comfortable if I could find out this question. I don't know where else to ask, so please help if you can! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.