• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK Consultation

spinspilot

Had my consultation today. The Doc said I was a great candidate and am likely to have great results. Faxed over to the OSO, got the green light 20mins later. I might be goin under this upcoming week!:D
I was really surprised at the price though, at grand whopping of....$3,030.50 I was expecting it to be more, but they gave me a couple discounts for military..(The Doc talked my ears off about how he wanted to fly jets).
There was one thing though, has anyone heard of "custom wavefront technology"?
"This advanced tech. uses light waves to measure subtle irregularities in each eye called 'high order abberations' that may cause distortions in your vision. These measurements are then translated by computer to accurately guide the laser in reshaping your cornea for refined visual clarity and enhanced acuity at night". The way the doc put it was it's PRK just more defined. A little more cash too. thoughts?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
That is what Navy PRK has gone to because the results are better, according to the doc who briefed us on it. It is more cash, so on civvie street it's not as common.

The again, it's your eyes we're talking about. I'd want the best f'ing technology I can get.

Daisy

My WAVEfront custom LASIK cost closer to $5K - two and a half years ago - no military discounts for me.

I had perfect results as soon as the doctor flipped my lense back over with the dental hook. At least that's what it looked like from my side. The chillaxer pill I was given didn't start working till I was out on the curb.

I think the extra cost is worth removing the human error potential.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Definitely put down the extra money now. You only get two eyes yada yada... it's what I got two months ago for about a grand more and I could not have made a better investment.

torpedo0126

Had my consultation today. The Doc said I was a great candidate and am likely to have great results. Faxed over to the OSO, got the green light 20mins later. I might be goin under this upcoming week!:D
I was really surprised at the price though, at grand whopping of....$3,030.50 I was expecting it to be more, but they gave me a couple discounts for military..(The Doc talked my ears off about how he wanted to fly jets).
"This advanced tech. uses light waves to measure subtle irregularities in each eye called 'high order abberations' that may cause distortions in your vision. These measurements are then translated by computer to accurately guide the laser in reshaping your cornea for refined visual clarity and enhanced acuity at night". The way the doc put it was it's PRK just more defined. A little more cash too. thoughts?

do not do anything that does not include wavefront.

spinspilot

^^roger that, Im definately spending the extra $$. Looks like surgery will be next friday during my spring break, I'll keep you guys posted.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Is that normal price? Kind of expensive I think. My PRK was free!! Still have excellent vision to this day, 6+ years later.

ru838434

Did you go to one of the national chains (TLC vision, Lasik Plus, etc.) or a local doctor? NAMI just told me that I need to get PRK, and that seems like an awesome price.

They also said to make sure it was the wavefront.

spinspilot

Lasik Plus is where im getting it done. They are a big chain, not sure how big. I got the consult in Jacksonville, and am likely to get the eyes cut back home in ft.lauderdale. I was surprised at the price, but they seem to be good to go.

ru838434

Thanks. I'll have to check them out. In terms of the discount, are you current military, or did you have your OSO write a letter saying that your reason for PRK was to be a military pilot?

spinspilot

^^None of the above. I told the DOC why I was getting the surgery, and apparently he empathized with me. Talked forever about flying jets yada yada, so he hooked it up. Try it, you never know.

Jeff29

Science Project

Wavefront has been around for quite a while and is quite common. It has been available in the U.S. for at least five years and in Canada and Europe for longer than that. It actually comes from the field of astrophysics and was developed to repair the Hubble telescope.

Recently in the opthamology community there has been debate over the effectiveness of wavefront as compared to a highly detailed topographical system, or even the combination originally called "wavefont-topography guided system" (although I'm not sure that this system has made it to the States yet).

Anyway, good luck and remember "pupil size matters". Seriously.