• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK After Pro Rec SNA?

poobear24

Hello everyone! I'm fairly new to the site, but I've been enjoying the forums about my future as a Navy flyer. I'm posting because I'm in a bind and was hoping to get feedback from my fellow 'Air Warriors'. Here's my story:

I'm 25 (Will be 26 in less than a month) and have been trying to fly in the military since college graduation. I've jumped through just about every hoop imaginable trying to get a pilot slot. I tried the AF 3 times, ANG 3 times, and Army 2 times (VERY suprised with that one). So, I decided to beef up my resume by earning my Private Pilot's license and Master's Degree in Aeronautics from Embry-Riddle. After that, I decided to give it a final shot and go Navy. I picked SNA and NFO respectively. After the board, my recruiter called and congratulated me on getting selected for Aviator (and NFO)! I was soo excited! I finally made it as a pilot! Two months later, as I was waiting for my Final Select Letter, my recruiter called again and informed me that my visual acuity was not within limits! I was distraught. I didn't realize the Navy had stricter limits than the other branches. My vision is 20/70 and was within AF limits when I took the MEPs physical. That's why it was never an issue before. I know, it's my fault for not checking. I feel soo stupid. But now I am being 'forced' to switch to NFO. I understand that NFO is very prestigious and I would serve proudly if I take it, but I would like to explore all of my options before I give up the chance at being a Naval Aviator.

I came up with 3 options:

1. Get PRK ASAP. I haven't received my Final Select Letter yet, so I was wondering if I could get PRK, wait the 3 months and apply for the waiver before I report to OCS. I asked my recruiter about this and he discouraged me from doing it. He said something about a 9 month wait or something. Not sure what that's about because the NAMI site stated that one could apply for the waiver after 3 months. Another factor is my age. From my understanding, I would have to apply for flight school again no later than my 27th birthday. I'm cutting it VERY close if I were to do this option. Also, would it look bad on me at the next board to turn down NFO in an effort to reapply for pilot after PRK?

2. TAKE NFO WITH INTENTION TO APPLY FOR NFO TO PILOT PROGRAM: From what I have read online, this program is extremely competitive with many requirements such as not being over age 29 and completing a 2 year deployment for you apply. Again, this is also a time factor for me. Assuming I leave for OCS when I'm 26, graduate flight school at 27 1/2, and then completing a 2 year tour would put me at 29 1/2. Is this a reasonable assumption to make? If it is, I would only have one shot to get my pilot slot.

3. TAKE NFO AND APPLY FOR NAVAL TEST PILOT SCHOOL LATER IN MY CAREER: I browsed their website and couldn't find the requirements for applying. I know they take engineers, pilots, and NFOs, but what about cross transfers (NFO applying to be test pilot). It doesn't mention age either, so I'm hoping it is a later age in which I could apply.

For options 2 & 3, I would obviously have to get the surgery done before I apply to the programs. I know this is alot of information, but I've been losing sleep over this decision the past couple of nights. I applied for both positions because I would've been happy just being in the air. BUT, since I was originally picked for Pilot, I kind of feel that taking NFO is a consolation prize in this situation. I absolutely mean no disrespect to NFOs, but I just want to explore my options before I make a full commitment. Any feedback, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot everyone for your time.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
3. TAKE NFO AND APPLY FOR NAVAL TEST PILOT SCHOOL LATER IN MY CAREER: I browsed their website and couldn't find the requirements for applying. I know they take engineers, pilots, and NFOs, but what about cross transfers (NFO applying to be test pilot). It doesn't mention age either, so I'm hoping it is a later age in which I could apply.
A NFO that gets accepted to Test Pilot School does not become a Naval Aviator (Pilot). He becomes a Test NFO. It is not a path to the front seat.

shabuki

the waiver guide says that it's a 3 month wait if you're refraction now is less than than -6 and 6 months if it's worse than -6. if you're farsighted (prescription is +X.00) then it's a six month wait... as for it looking bad turning down NFO and re-applying trying to get SNA looking bad, i can't really say, though i'm sure (based on some of the things i've read here) that you just run the risk of not getting selected regardless of it looking bad or not.

going from NFO from pilot (as you've said) can be very difficult, but I dunno if age will be the number 1 thing keeping you back... i'd assume that if you're only a little over the max age and you're good enough that they'd want you to become a pilot then they'd just waiver it

i defer though to anyone who knows for sure since everything i've said has come from what i've gathered in my own research

I know how bad it can feel thinking you're going to become a pilot only to find out that you can't... if you can get the surgery in time to get the waiver then that's probably a pretty solid decision. If that isn't possible then you'd probably need to decide if you'd rather risk never being in a plane or be an NFO and maybe a pilot at some point in time.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
2. TAKE NFO WITH INTENTION TO APPLY FOR NFO TO PILOT PROGRAM: From what I have read online, this program is extremely competitive with many requirements such as not being over age 29 and completing a 2 year deployment for you apply. Again, this is also a time factor for me. Assuming I leave for OCS when I'm 26, graduate flight school at 27 1/2, and then completing a 2 year tour would put me at 29 1/2. Is this a reasonable assumption to make? If it is, I would only have one shot to get my pilot slot.

Also you shouldnt guarantee or bank on this program as well. The Navy changes from day to day and everything is about timing. I can give you stories of what I mean by that, so if you want specifics, PM me and I'll be happy to share. But lets say you get NFO and then all of sudden they pull the plug on that program because they don't need pilots at that time. Are you going to DOR out of training because you can't get pilot now and you're an NFO? I only say that because even being down in Pensacola in my short time, I've seen guys come through down here and for some reason or another, they redes from Pilot to NFO and now walk around with a chip on their shoulders because they're "just an NFO and not a pilot." (that person's words not mine). I know you said you just want to be in the air, and I can understand that, but I have heard that so many times from people before we went to OCS or started IFS, API, etc. When shit hit the fan or things didnt work out as they thought....all of sudden, they didn't feel the same way.

The best advice I had ever heard from a LCDR was from a discussion about NFO's who didn't really want to be NFOs. This is probably something that will stick with me for the rest of my life. "The worst kind of NFO is the one who couldn't get over being a Pilot."

I say that as a caution just to really search within yourself to see if thats the course you want to take. Like I said, its easy to say you want it now, but when you're down here in Pensacola, waiting to class up, are you going to feel the same way? If you don't want to be an NFO, fine, that's cool. Its easy at this point to be gung-ho and say, "NO I won't DOR, this IS what i want!!", until the situation happens and your dreams are crushed. Just trying to be realistic is all. There's no point in going through training for something (whether its Pilot or NFO training) if you don't really want it. It's a waste of your time, but even more so a HUGE waste of the Navy's time and money.

If you get SNA, good on ya and good luck with your career. If you don't get SNA and decide you want to become an NFO and are doing it for the right reasons, that's awesome too. All I ask is to consider your decision and look at the worst case scenario and what you would do or what would your plan be if things don't go as you plan...hopefully you've already done that. Good luck.

Crazy*Carl

I am in a similar boat as you. I applied as sna knowing I would need it. I am seeing the doc this week and I was selected last week as sna and nfo. As for the time delay my recruiter said even with the 6 month wait sna would enter similar time as nfo due to nfo entry delays right now. Id say your only hurdle is your age but I think you should still be ok to get prk

guim13

I got Pro rec'd and knew that I would have to have the surgery. I waited two months seeing if we could get my pre surgery eyesight waived, then had the surgery. I got Prorec'd in july, surgery end of sept and ended up at Newport in Feb. I dor'd due to some personal issues and im now a Marine SNA at Vance AFB, but getting PRK after I got selected for the Navy worked for me. ( This was back in 08 though, so they could have changed the way they do things)

NAVYBM2

Contributor
I had similar problem, I was selected for all the options I put down SNA, NFO, and SWO. However, I was too old to be a pilot, and settled for the NFO. I was bitter, and after some time of ranting about it on here I went with NFO. There is one thing you have to understand before you go into this, getting selected to be a NAVY officer alone is a big honor. There are people out there that would do anything to be in your position, so take it and run with it. I am telling you from personal experience that some NAVY rules can be bent, and others can be broken, for the right person. You show up to your OCS class and kick butt, volunteer for everything you can, and take names all the way through. Then do the same at A-pool, also let them know that you are interested in getting that pilot slot. Now, it will require a lot of sacrifices: no going out with your friends drinking, no moment of the day should go unused, and staying late to do some extra stuff around your unit should be the plan of the day--be visible to the people in charge, don't be the guy that is just there to graduate, some will do that, but you and I don't have that luxury. I am speaking from my enlisted days' experience, and this is my plan for the future, as I am getting ready to go to OCS in MAY. "I will not fail" should be your motto, and good things are going to happen, TRUST ME. One thing the navy won't do though is let you fly planes if you don't meet the medical requirements, safety first is there motto, so make sure you take care of that before you go in.

Good Luck, and remember, NO GUTS NO GLORY!!!

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
You show up to your OCS class and kick butt, volunteer for everything you can, and take names all the way through. Then do the same at A-pool, also let them know that you are interested in getting that pilot slot.

This seems like terrible advice, especially coming from someone who's prior service. I guess if you're a masochist, volunteer for everything possible. I hope I end up in your OCS class.

NAVYBM2

Contributor
This seems like terrible advice, especially coming from someone who's prior service. I guess if you're a masochist, volunteer for everything possible. I hope I end up in your OCS class.
Maybe you will!? When do you graduate?
It is not a terrible advice at all! I did what I had to do plus a little more when I was in, and got really far really fast. This may be considered a terrible advice if all your stuff is in order and you just have to meet the minimum requirements to get by. But one thing I learned in the NAVY was that if you want something more then what you already have you need to work extra hard for it. I mean, if there was a job that had to be done, I was the guy that they would go to, because they knew that it would get done no matter what. And please don't get me wrong, I am not bragging about it, I just want to motivate people that maybe feeling down a little bit. I had people do the same for me so it only seems fare....

See you in the fleet, or maybe OCS!!!

poobear24

Thank you everyone for their feedback regarding my situation. I've had plenty of sleepless nights since I heard the 'bad' news about being DQ'd for pilot. I worked my butt off working towards my goal. It was a rough road, but I have decided not to be bitter about it. After all, I was selected for the pilot position, but unfortunately DQ'd for something that I can't help (for now at least). As a result, after serious thought and discussion with my family, I WILL take the NFO slot as NAVYBM2 suggests for a couple of reasons.

1.) My goal was to be an Officer in the U.S. Navy. Being selected for aviation is the icing on the cake.
2.) There are too many risks for me to turn it down in my particular situation (Close to cutoff age, PRK waiver process, and uncertainty of future SNA boards).
2.) My family, friends, and senior officers that wrote me recommendations supported me 100% in my endeavor to be selected as a flyer. If I were to turn this opportunity down, I would feel that I disappointed them.
3.) Although I wanted to be a professional pilot, there are other opportunities in my life that will allow me to do this. After all, I still have my private pilot's license and noone can take that away from me (unless I have an incident involving the FAA, LOL). Plus, Officer pay will help me get flying hours on my own dime.
4.) Being an NFO will help me pursue my other dream of becoming an astronaut. I'll let you know how that one works out. lol.

At first, I thought my recruiter was just trying to get his quota, but after talking with him about how I felt and an in-depth analysis about what I want in life, I can honestly say I will be proud to serve as an NFO. My dreams of being a pilot aren't shattered completely. I just have to work a little harder to get there. Thanks again everyone and maybe I will see some of you in OCS soon!

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

Crazy*Carl

Sounds good.

I have been thinking about what I will do if I can't get PRK. Mine is a little more complicated in that I am already a FAA Flight Instructor and a career as an airline pilot is only a year or so away. So if I pick NFO, more or less I am giving up a pilot career.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Sounds good.

I have been thinking about what I will do if I can't get PRK. Mine is a little more complicated in that I am already a FAA Flight Instructor and a career as an airline pilot is only a year or so away. So if I pick NFO, more or less I am giving up a pilot career.

Check your inbox.

poobear24

Additional Info

Hello again everyone,

Although I've made up my mind for NFO, I took the liberty to speak with the Program Manager of the Recruiting Command in Tennessee about this type of situation. He explained that an applicant must be cleared (medically, security clearance, etc.) within 90 days of being professionally recommended to get a Final Select Letter. If not, the applicant is placed in non-select status and must essentially apply again to be reconsidered. He also mentioned a 6 month wait, but I'm not sure if that relates to PRK surgery recovery time or re-application regulations.

Sooo... from what I gathered about PRK after getting Pro-Rec'd is that it would be nearly impossible for an applicant to accomplish without reapplying to another board. The only way I can see this happening is if the applicant falls within the vision refraction limits for a 3 month PRK recovery time. And even so, the applicant would be required to have the surgery on the same day as being Pro-Rec'd in order to remain within the 90 day cutoff date.

The moral of the story: Get PRK BEFORE applying. It will save you extra hardship and also give you the piece of mind of not having to worry about failing physicals due to vision. I hope this helps!

Crazy*Carl

. He explained that an applicant must be cleared (medically, security clearance, etc.) within 90 days of being professionally recommended to get a Final Select Letter. If not, the applicant is placed in non-select status and must essentially apply again to be reconsidered. He also mentioned a 6 month wait, but I'm not sure if that relates to PRK surgery recovery time or re-application regulations.

I was selected on the November board and I will be getting PRK next week. My recruiter told me to get PRK then wait the 6 months and get the waiver. He said I should have no problem getting a waiver. If I was going to have to reapply again because I am past this supposed 90 day time, then he would of had me wait until a later board to apply.

The downside to PRK before applying is most people do not even get selected as SNA. I wanted to make sure I got selected before I considered the procedure.

poobear24

I may be misinformed, but that is what I was told by a Senior Chief in Millington. You may be referring to a 'reconsideration packet' which is an update to a previous application. I don't know much about that, but I've heard the term thrown around this forum as well as my recruiter's office. If I'm wrong, my apologies to you and others that are in the same boat. I was just trying to shed some light on this type of situation.

And I was also waiting to get selected before I got the surgery done. I don't believe my eyes are that bad enough to be corrected if I was not selected for SNA. GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND PLEASE KEEP US UPDATED ON YOUR PROGRESS!