Pre op refractive limits

Discussion in 'PRK' started by Mdale, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Mdale

Mdale New Member

Hey guys,

Does anyone know pre op refractive limits before getting PRK for SNA contract hopefuls ?

2. BigJeffray

BigJeffray Sans Peur None

I posted this on another prk thread a little while back...

3. Crazy*Carl

Crazy*Carl Member

I think it is -8 diopters. I have -6 and hopefully will be getting it done in the near future.

4. Deez

Deez New Member None

Careful..if you have astigmatism the limits are much stricter. When I received my PRK waiver in 2007 the limits were 3.5 diopters per eye with astigmatism present.

5. shabuki

shabuki New Member

i've had a difficult time trying to find info that doesn't contradict other info i've found...

deez, was that limit +/- 3.5 or just -3.5? also, does can anyone give an estimate as to roughly how often they revise the limits?

6. shabuki

shabuki New Member

ok for anyone who is still wondering, the pre op refractive limits are definitely -8 to +3. that's confirmed by some one from NOMI

he said that changes could be made but he doesn't see any occurring in the near future, though i don't know what his definition of near future is

7. RyanF2005

RyanF2005 New Member

8. shabuki

shabuki New Member

I'm pretty sure your oso is wrong on this one... the waiver guide says nothing about what your pre op vision was (20/XX), it only talks about pre op refraction. your prescription is fine so assuming all goes well you should get it waivered.

as far as your timeline, i'm not 100% sure about what to do before when. i only know that you're right about the 6 month thing and getting a waiver/starting training

9. ami5015

ami5015 New Member

10. BigJeffray

BigJeffray Sans Peur None

This may simply be a difference in terminology. Technically PRK is disqualifying, meaning in order to get a flight/pilot slot after having,you need a waiver. It is disqualifying but waiverable, provided you meet the refractive limits that are in the NAMI waiver guide.

11. RyanF2005

RyanF2005 New Member

Thanks for the replies! Reassures me even more, because I was devasted for about a split second. I called another OSO office in TX today, and they told me different that my local OSO office's Gunnery Sgt. originally told me; that it does not matter the pre-op vision. They said go ahead and get the surgery. So in two weeks I plan on getting it still. Now I'm not sure what's next exactly. Let the research begin! Thanks again!!

12. ThunderOne

ThunderOne New Member

I have a question that goes along with the initial discussion.

For my pre-op numbers, will they go off of my MEPS evaluation numbers, or off of the numbers the civilan laser surgery center recorded?

13. Beefalo

Beefalo Registered User

Does the pre-op -8.00 apply to SNFO or just SNA? That guide said SNA but nothing about SNFO.

14. NavyOffRec

NavyOffRec Well-Known Member

It applies to all designators.

15. Beefalo

Beefalo Registered User

How much of it is waiverable? Im an active duty PO1 who had PRK at Keesler AFB. Unfortunately my eyes were -8.50. I went into boot camp at -7.75 maybe the eye doc was being friendly and didnt want to process me out :D

Does this mean Im excluded from any commissioning source now?