• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PPL and how I get selected

Kev

Does the PPL actually hurt you for SNFO Board? How about some definitive, experienced answers.

Plus or Minus overall? Obviously the intuitive answer is plus.. but?

Looking at FY13 boards.

Thanks guys, .... this is a ridiculous thread to navigate.:D

jtmedli

pilot
Does the PPL actually hurt you for SNFO Board? How about some definitive, experienced answers.

I think you just answered your own question. To get definitive, experienced answers then you'd have to talk to someone who's sat in on a board recently and that's gonna be hard to come by. It doesn't hurt, but it ain't gonna make it for you either. It's just another thing that goes into the 'plus' category for you.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None

Looking at FY13 boards.

You won't find a "definitive" answer here, but you will find various opinions. Some have argued that for a SNA applicant, holding a PPL may be considered neutral at best, because Navy flight training will have to erase civilian flying habits. For SNFO selection, stick and rudder monkey skills aren't as much of a factor, so who knows how an NFO selection board will look at it. There is a general consensus here that paying for a PPL with the thought that it will enhance your chances before any selection board is a waste of money.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Looking at FY13 boards.

Do the work for yourself. Question has been answered many times before. PPL doesn't matter either way.

Seriously- use the search and do a lot of your own research. Initiative...

Kev

You won't find a "definitive" answer here, but you will find various opinions. Some have argued that for a SNA applicant, holding a PPL may be considered neutral at best, because Navy flight training will have to erase civilian flying habits. For SNFO selection, stick and rudder monkey skills aren't as much of a factor, so who knows how an NFO selection board will look at it. There is a general consensus here that paying for a PPL with the thought that it will enhance your chances before any selection board is a waste of money.

The PPL is for myself, I've always wanted to fly. However, the timing is just right.

I understand the argument for being neutral. It seems like a lot of applicants bring PPL, and I'm curious if they are getting selected at a higher/lower rate, or if it truly seems neutral. And yes, the only people that can answer that have been through.

exNavyOffRec

The PPL is for myself, I've always wanted to fly. However, the timing is just right.

I understand the argument for being neutral. It seems like a lot of applicants bring PPL, and I'm curious if they are getting selected at a higher/lower rate, or if it truly seems neutral. And yes, the only people that can answer that have been through.

Recently for me it has been 50/50 half that applied had flight experience half didn't, all accepted at the same rate. Earlier I believe I had more with PPL accepted, but most had high GPA's and ASTB scores so they may have been accepted either way.

The Aviators here can really give you the pro's and con's.

Kev

Recently for me it has been 50/50 half that applied had flight experience half didn't, all accepted at the same rate. Earlier I believe I had more with PPL accepted, but most had high GPA's and ASTB scores so they may have been accepted either way.

The Aviators here can really give you the pro's and con's.

Thanks for the specifics of what you've seen. Good answer.

I use the search and dig deep, so most my questions are already answered.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Consensus on a ppl has been: if you have the time, money and inclination to get a ticket on your own, fine. It doesn't improve your chances of selection and it's definitely debatable whether it'll help you in the Program. That's a lot of time and money to spend on something the US Gummint will pay you to do anyway.

It's sort of like asking if taking skydiving lessons will improve your chances of getting picked up for SEAL.

Kev

It's sort of like asking if taking skydiving lessons will improve your chances of getting picked up for SEAL.​
Uncle Fester said:​
Wait...are you saying it won't?

Grab your rofltanks and prepare for a lollercaust..

TAMR

is MIDNIGHT
pilot
None
My intent was not to insult anyone or cause an issue, just figured this thread could use a little humor (as if the seal comment didn't already accomplish that).

I'll take note of your reactions as a learning experience for the future.