Personal Statement

Discussion in 'Enlisted Commissioning Programs' started by mblanche, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mblanche

mblanche New Member

I am applying for the FY09 STA-21 Program. I was wondering if people are willing to read over my personal statement and provide feedback? Also, should I post it, or PM it to those willing to participate.
    Thanks for any feedback!

2. jus2mch

jus2mch MOTIVATOR

If you PM it to me I will review it.

3. skim

skim Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB None

I can too

4. HH-60H

HH-60H Pilot None

You can PM it to me if you want. Keep in mind that I have not applied for an Officer program in over 13 years.

5. fc2spyguy

fc2spyguy HSC-22 None

I can take a look at it if you want.

6. Nose

Nose Active Member None

Q: How many people does it take to write a "personal" statement?

A4sForever likes this.
  7. A4sForever

A4sForever INTERNET BULLY None

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ..... excellent. :icon_wink

Someone has finally said it. I wish it were I who "popped the cork" on this particular bottle .... :)

Personally, just thinking here .... just free association and all .... I'm stunned and amazed that I was ever able to obtain a four year scholarship AND a USN commission AND get through flight school ..... without the community's help ..... simply stunned and amazed.

A: I guess Hillary's right ..... it really DOES take a village, after all ... ???

Good luck in life, mblanche .....

8. Brett1

Brett1 Banned

The bigger problem is that it is intellectually dishonest to seek help writing your statement.

9. skim

skim Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB None

I bought 'navyguides' from www.navyguides.com and it has a section that tells you what you should focus on in the motivational statement, is that dishonest? Is seeking gouge for the astb dishonest? To place my statement (which I placed here before it became such an issue) online for a proof read, and to get advice from those who have recently been selected is not dishonest. Maybe, a sticky should be made for motivational statement gouge as well.

10. snake020

snake020 Active Member

Relax everyone... poster never asked anyone to WRITE his statement, he just said he wanted feedback. Can anyone here tell me they never asked a friend to lend a more objective set of eyes on a paper they'd written?

Now that we're all clear everyone is welcome to buy me alcohol when I redeploy home next week. [/threadjack]

11. MasterBates

MasterBates Well-Known Member

Lawyer taling about honesty.. Beezlebub is calling the furnace repairman as we speak.

12. jus2mch

jus2mch MOTIVATOR

Is this kind of like when my COC asked me if I wrote my CO's endorsement yet?

13. A4sForever

A4sForever INTERNET BULLY None

Skool daze ... ??? Never. Not even once.

Military ...??? Never. Not even once.

Civie street ... ??? The issue never came up until later in life, and now I do it all the time. Ask, that is .... :)

14. robav8r

robav8r . . . just a thought from a worn out arm chair. None

What some folks are trying to say (IMO) is: the "personal statement" is a reflection of your professional attitude, confidence and just plain "how hungry" you are. I have sat on many boards to recommend enlisted folks for OCS, STA-21, LDO/CWO, etc and I can tell you that their personal statement tells me a lot about who and what they are. Often, I think to myself, that a statement I'm reading is not the way I would have expressed the same sentiment, but it's powerful, genuine and "personal." When I read your personal statement, I want it to match the "look in your eye" and the "fire in your belly." Make sense ??? ;)

15. mblanche

mblanche New Member

A4sforever (and others), my mistake for offending you. I didn't realize I started this thread to flame people, thanks for the good luck wishes. I am sure I'll need it.

Feedback: "a reaction or response to a particular process or activity" and "evaluative information derived from such a reaction or response"
    I am suprised as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.