• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pensacola Downtown?

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Looks like I'm heading to Pensacola in early/mid-June, and I'm starting to think about housing options. I've searched around, but would be interested in any new gouge.

Downtown, or out near NASP? Also, is downtown Pensacola doable to Whiting field if I end up there for primary?

Thanks in advance

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
If you're anything like I was leaving school for API you would do well to avoid living downtown Pensacola. The "downtown" area has seen quite a bit or revitalization over the past few years and there is much to lure you away from the books. Just my two cents based on my poor study habits and lack of self-discipline when I got there.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
Just browsing the internets, it seems like downtown has some nicer houses/apartments...that's why I was leaning toward downtown. Would also be nice to bike/walk to...anything.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Just browsing the internets, it seems like downtown has some nicer houses/apartments...that's why I was leaning toward downtown. Would also be nice to bike/walk to...anything.

Ci. This is true. However, my word of caution still remains. For comparison sake: In July '00 when I finished API the word came down that all single SNAs headed for Whiting, who were not in an existing lease WOULD live in the newly renovated BOQ. At first I thought this was a huge "other". In the end it ended up being the best thing for me. I had access to practice sims every night and did not have too many distractions the rest of the time. I could still make a Friday/Saturday night trip to Pensacola, but it all but eliminated the random Tuesday night drink-your-face-off-ex. Not suggesting you should find a shit hole to live in so you can draw the blinds and memorize NATOPS, just pointing out that people often make their own luck with the circumstances they put themselves into.

Your experiences may vary.

Reconjoe

Honestly something between Pensacola and Whiting worked out perfect for me. Try places like Governors Gate or Majestic Oak apartments. You're only 15/18 from NAS Pensacola, 25 from Milton, and 10 from downtown. Plus you're not in the thick of a party area so you can keep your distance thus your study habits when need be. Just my two cents. For what it's worth, after my roomate attrited and we were let off our lease, I did spend the last few months next to Whiting since I did primary there at a place called Collin's Mill Creek....it's perfect if you know you're going to end up at Whiting.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Anyone who remembers the "Bario" knows that the downtown thing can be done. The "Bario to 'Bama Sketchy Bar Crawl" was one of the highlights of my flight school experience.

A shit-ton of people, riding on sofas in the back of a U-Haul with a kiddie pool and a keg from downtown to Florabama. Fuck ORM.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Honestly something between Pensacola and Whiting worked out perfect for me. Try places like Governors Gate or Majestic Oak apartments. You're only 15/18 from NAS Pensacola, 25 from Milton, and 10 from downtown. Plus you're not in the thick of a party area so you can keep your distance thus your study habits when need be. Just my two cents. For what it's worth, after my roomate attrited and we were let off our lease, I did spend the last few months next to Whiting since I did primary there at a place called Collin's Mill Creek....it's perfect if you know you're going to end up at Whiting.

I asked for Corpus and got that for Primary, but as far as living in Pensacola for API, I lived at Village at Southern Oaks which was great and was also a reasonable commute to Whiting if need be. For Advanced Helo's, I now live in Collins Mill Creek in Milton - I'd recommend it. In fact, PM me if you want to move in here.

KBayDog

Having never been to the Florida panhandle, I get a "Deliverance" vibe from the Milton area...

Well, Milton is the Canoe Capital of Florida. (No joke - look it up.)

I can't help you with your decision for living arrangements during API, but as far as Primary/Advanced, I'll leave you with this: It should come as no surprise that we are entering a period of extreme competition in Naval Aviation, particularly in flight school. If I was in your shoes, I'd give some serious thought as to whether 60-90 minutes commuting each day in order to live closer to the bars in downtown Pensacola is time well spent...especially armed with the knowledge that falling behind in flight school these days makes it very easy for the Navy and Marine Corps to "right-size" itself.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Having never been to the Florida panhandle, I get a "Deliverance" vibe from the Milton area...anyhow, I'll take your advice and head start looking around Pensacola. Thanks

Get used to it. The Panhandle isn't a bad place. Milton is a bit country, but it's hardly Deliverance-worthy.

There are WAY worse places to be stationed. Learn to like wherever you end up.

You'll have a lot of early morning briefs up at Whiting, if you go that route. Being closer could be a better deal than being a little closer to the bars. If you want to be close to a party, live near the Navarre bridge.

jtmedli

pilot
Looks like I'm heading to Pensacola in early/mid-June, and I'm starting to think about housing options. I've searched around, but would be interested in any new gouge.

Downtown, or out near NASP? Also, is downtown Pensacola doable to Whiting field if I end up there for primary?

Thanks in advance

Live in Perdido in a condo on the beach, then move up to Pace/Milton/Bagdad area to be closer to Whiting.