• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Passing the vision test

MaleToTheCore

If I can pass the vision test uncorrected at 20/20, will it matter that I am actually far sighted? I can pass most vision tests at 20/20, even without my glasses. It's just that the ophthalmologist told me that I should wear glasses so that my muscles don't exhaust themselves, even though I can't feel it.

Refractive Limits: If uncorrected distant visual acuity is less than 20/20 either eye, a manifest refraction must be recorded for the correction required to attain 20/20. If the candidate’s distant visual acuity is 20/20, a manifest refraction is not required. Total myopia may not be greater than -1.50 diopters in any meridian, total hyperopia no greater than +3.00 diopters in any meridian, or astigmatism no greater than -1.00 diopters. The astigmatic correction shall be reported in minus cylinder format.

Thank you for your response!

JONNY

When I went to MEPS, I had to take both a near and far vision test. In your quote, it spells out that you can't have hyperopia (farsightedness) greater than +3.00 diopters. So, in short, yes it does matter that you are farsighted. This is my understanding at least.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
NAMI will also check near and far. Eyes are important...

MaleToTheCore

Yeah, as I say in another post I currently have +2.5 but without glasses, I can see at 20/20 near and far. The eye doctor (who had been in the military) I talked to said it was because that some people who are far sighted have an "auto correct" that allows them to correct their own vision to 20/20, and that this usually lasts up until they are 40 or so. However, he also said that it requires a muscle to work extra hard so that I should wear glasses so that my vision won't deteriorate (which I do).

My question is simply, if I pass the test, will there be any problem?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Beyond the actual "read the letters" part of the NAMI eye exam, the eye doc will sit you in a chair and do the lens test to get the actual diopters. If you're out of limits, you're out of limits.

MaleToTheCore

Beyond the actual "read the letters" part of the NAMI eye exam, the eye doc will sit you in a chair and do the lens test to get the actual diopters. If you're out of limits, you're out of limits.

Alright thanks, that's what I needed to know.

staff03

When you are getting your eyes checked out at OCS and NAMI and you have had PRK or LASIK done, do you have to read 20/20 no exceptions? Or do you just have to be 20/40 and still correctable to 20/20? I'm just wondering if the LASIK doesn't correct your eyes to 20/20 are you just s.o.l. when you are taking your eye exam?

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
While I don't know for sure the answer to this, it would stand to reason that you would only need to be 20/40 correctable to 20/20. If your vision wasn't 20/20 though, I would let your surgeon hear it, and most do free touch-ups anyway. Also, don't get LASIK if you want to be a Navy pilot. PRK is currently the only waiverable procedure. LASIK may be waiverable in the future, but PRK is the only option right now unless you can somehow get into one of the LASIK studies. I had PRK about 2.5 months ago and I've had no issues and my vision is great.

staff03

Ok, so just to be 100% sure, lasik IS NOT currently waiverable? I'm trying to get an astigmatism problem fixed in my left eye which is the main reason I'm told I'm not passing the depth perception test. Anyone else had this problem and had it fixed after PRK?