• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Officers rooms on a carrier?

DW43

What are the living quarters like on an aircraft carrier for officers? I was on a missile destroyer for a change of command ceremony and I went the a tour. The officer's rooms weren't that bad. It was like two or three to a room but it wasn't nearly as bad as the enlisted guys have it.

helo_wifey

My husband is on the USS Kitty Hawk, and there are 7 guys in an 8-man stateroom. Last cruise they had 6 guys in the room, and 2 midshipman rotating out through the cruise. But the HSL squadron on the ship has less people on the carrier det, so their situation is different. We're with the HS squadron. Once my husband (notice I didn't use DH...you're welcome) becomes more senior he'll move to a 3-man stateroom.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The boat sucks. The rooms suck. The hot water is sporadic. The food is mediocre to suckage. The working hours suck. The noise sucks. SWOs suck. The smell sucks.

Man I miss it!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depends on the ship. Generally it is tolerable but cozy. Food varies greatly with the ship. Food on my first cruise in Ranger sucked. Food on Enterprise was very good. Same with hot water. Lots of it and very reliable on Big "E", but a real crap shoot on Ranger. Things like food and water quality and availabitly often is a product of leadership, so you can see how it varies.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did 2.5 years on the John C. Stennis...had a great room.

3rd deck under the officer's wardroom...quiet and cold.

Huggy Bear

pilot
My first cruise was on the enterprise. I shared a room with 8 other JO's. The bunks were three high and it was fairly cramped. Other than having only 8 of us in the room (vice sometimes hundreds for sailors' berthing), and having a foldout desk, it was not much better than berthing.

My second cruise on the TR I actually had two rooms. My first room was a tiny two man that was right next maintanence control with a holey wall between us. It was loud all hours of the night. We wanked and got into a nice quiet two man right across from the admirals spaces. I even had the room to myself the last month of cruise.

I think the food on the ship gets a bad rap. It's about the same as dorm food. There is enough variety and almost always fresh fruit and veggies. Some meals suck, but You try feeding 5000 people four meals a day. The desserts are usually pretty good, which you gotta watch of course, I would only rarely indulge.

mjf

I was ship's company (female O3 type) on Truman for a couple years and had a nice two man a couple decks below the flight deck. Most of the guys had great two or three man staterooms (one even had room for a futon and a recliner) down on the second deck, and generally the aviator JO's shared the 4/6/8 jungles. The trick for us was just to find a room you liked and move-in when that person leaves....letting the supply guys know well after the fact.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Enterprise (2x): 2-134-8L second deck...six man...hot as heck...sucked
Lincoln (1x): 03-92-4L 2 man...very near the #2 JBD on the O-3 level...could be loud...local to everything a JO needs
Vinson (1x): 2 man...02 somewhere on port inboard side...called sleepy hollow...for a reason..nice
Stennis (2X): 2-234-4L 2man...under the officer's wardroom, huge, cold and quiet.

Bottom line is you end up with what you get...make the best of it...however, the squeaky wheel does get the oil....sometimes.

snizo

Supply Officer
My room on the TR was a lot larger than I thought it would be. Four bunks, and plenty of locker space with small desks. A bit cozy, but a good size for a mil ship. Think back to your first dorm room in college. If you really want to cram something in there, you will find room for it ;)

"let the supply guys know well after the fact"
Yea the supply system works best when supply is kept out of it. :rolleyes: You'd wonder why it is messed up to begin with.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
What kind of spaces for ships company O3 types?
Ships company are normally in 2 man rooms.

Like Schnugg - 3rd deck, cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Nice and quite.

Again, ship's company usually get the quiter rooms. Airwing is below the flight deck. They make the noise, they get to live with it.

Also ship's company can usually change rooms as other guys leave. This gets you away from the 2 most common complaints - a$shole roommates or food / supply elevators.