• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS or enlisted??

LenoLax17

Ok, so I am a 23 year old soon to be college graduate (2 classes left) debating on whether I should go the enlisted route or straight to OCS. I want to fly, but I understand there are a lot of other people out there that have the same dream as myself. I've taken my ASVAB and scored good, not great and passed MEPS with no problems there. I have about $60,000 in student loans. That's part of the dilemma, so here's my train of thought and would really appreciate some un-biased opinions since my professor (ret. Naval capt) said of course go to OCS and pay off your student loans as an officer, while some family and friends think I should go as enlisted to pay off that debt and later apply for OCS:
First of all, the Navy from what I have been told is NOT hiring. It's packed and now is not the time to be picky. So later this week, I will be told what enlisted jobs there are available when I return to MEPS and assuming I see one that I like, I choose to enlist and devote my time and dedication in perfecting that job. In the meantime, my student loans will be taken care of, I'll travel the world (hopefully) and in my spare time go to the local aero club at the naval base and continue my flight training (I already have my PPL) by using NOT my GI Bill, but Tuition Assistance.
In situation two, I quickly finish up and take those two classes that I need to finish my degree and apply to OCS. Some of my background: I have a 3.2 GPA from a private University in Chicago in Political Science, captained our lacrosse team for two years and also was on the board all 4 years including being President and VP for 2 of the years, and now currently one of the lacrosse coaches at my old high school. Point being, although my GPA could be considered low, my extra curricular activities could offset that a bit. Meanwhile, I go to OCS, get a better paycheck and perhaps job if one is open, and pay off my student loans since I would not be eligible for the Loan Repayment Program. I have no prior incidences with the law, no MIP (Minor in Possessions) DUI's, etc...
I am trying to make the best decision and would appreciate any inputs...thanks in advance.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
That's part of the dilemma, so here's my train of thought and would really appreciate some un-biased opinions since my professor (ret. Naval capt) said of course go to OCS and pay off your student loans as an officer, while some family and friends think I should go as enlisted to pay off that debt and later apply for OCS:

Is your family filled with enlisted recruiters?

Apply to OCS. SNA is one of the few jobs that actually had a decent number of slots to fill in this August board. You don't know what the Navy's numbers are going to be by the time your application is ready to be sent in. The only sure way to NOT get a pilot slot is by not applying; let the board decide if your GPA is too low (hint: it's not).

Getting an OCS slot as enlisted is not a sure thing. It could even potentially lower your chances versus going in as a civilian (and likewise it could increase them).

LenoLax17

Ya I see what you mean. The thing is, is that I am not all too worried about being selected for a flight spot considering at this point I have my mindset on flying at the local aero club on my off time. (Let me know if this is not realistic b/c I have been told it definitely is). It's kind of like a back-up plan. I'll apply for a flight spot and see what happens. To be honest, I am really set on being in the Navy and from what I have been told, they are really packed with applicants, so I'll be conent on a job as long as I enjoy it. It doesn't have to be flying. The main reason I would choose to go enlisted is to pay off those student loans quicker. Also, can I still apply for OCS even if I am shy of two classes? I think I read somewhere that you only need 90 to apply or be in your last year of college? I'll do some research on that question, but if anyone knows, that would be helpful.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Finish college, don't sell yourself short now.

Next, if you want to fly in the Navy, go to OCS. You'll never know until you apply and go to the boards. If you just want a job where you work long hours, do sometimes really shitty work, are gone for 6+ months at a time on a float gray boat with 500+ of your best friends, don't make super good money, and afterwards have a loan repayment program, by all means, enlist. But don't be the guy who says "Oh I could've been a pilot but I chose to enlist instead".

You make good, not great, money as an Officer. Better than Enlisted. I had 50K in private student loans and I make my payments every month, plus still live comfortably on O-1 pay. You just don't get to drive a 'Vette like some Ensigns.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Been on both sides. Go to OCS, do not pass go, do not collect $200. You are a quality guy and thats why the enlisted recruiters want to get their hands on you. Talk to an officer recruiter. If the recruiter does enlisted guys, ask for an officer recruiters phone number or POC.

PapaC03

I guess from your point of view I can understand you asking this question. The reality is the answer is very simple. From being an enlisted guy, take it from me, you don't want to be an enlisted guy. Ask yourself this question, Whats the worst that can happen if I apply for OCS? They say no? big deal. There really is no logical reason to sell yourself short on an amazing opportunity. As far as paying student loans back goes, dont you think it might be a little easier to do making more money? In the end it's your decision, best of luck to you

-Chad

LenoLax17

Thanks for all the opinions, fellas. Here's what I decided to do the other day. With a lot of research and a lot of thinking I first and foremost decided I definitely want to be a part of the Navy. That being said, I am finishing up those two classes that I need to completed before I officially get that degree and am applying for OCS and hopefully getting a spot. Like I mentioned before, my officer recruiter is telling me there really is not much available right now and he does not know when the next board is going to be (most likely January or February). By then my two classes will be complete and hopefully I will have a competitve enough package and get selected for OCS. I am glad to say though, that I was offered a Aircrewman position on the enlisted side that does not leave until May 02, 2012 and would be an E-4 after successful completion. I did not expect them to have that job available, so I reserved that spot and gladly accepted the offer.
In the meantime, I am still going to apply for OCS and hopefully get picked up for that "January/February/March" board. If I get selected, then my enlisted contract is trumped and I go in instead as an officer. If I don't get picked up this time, I have a job lined up that I'm very excited to do if it doesn't pan out this time around. The problem I'm having is my officer recruiter really doesn't seem opitimistic about officer jobs now-a-days and that is whats bothersome. Does anyone know of any Officer jobs in Aviation that are very fulfilling and that are in demand and that is realistic for a guy like me? Like I've said before, I appreciate all your guys' inputs and thanks in advance.

Matt
US Navy

JTW

A Flying Sea-WO
pilot
The three jobs you could apply for through OCS are Pilot, Naval Flight Officer, and Aviation Maintenance Duty Officer. I will go ahead and say that all of them are fulfilling if you like aviation. I spent just over 8 years enlisted in aviation maintenance and it was good. I enjoyed what I did but set my sights on bigger goals. The difference is that I came in with zero college and completed my B.S. while on shore duty to get picked up for SNA. I don't understand why the Officer recruiter you are speaking with is not being very helpful, and I would make sure you get your application in for the next board. I respect and understand that you are anxious to get in the Navy but as it has been stated by EODDave go to OCS. If you are a quality applicant you could get selected. Don't just settle for enlisted because your Officer recruiter is not very optimistic of the "next board" or "about officer jobs". Good luck.

By the way Navy tuition assistance will not pay for your dues or fees at the Navy flying club even if you have your PPL.

ReconJos

Female Penguin Emeritus
None
The main reason I would choose to go enlisted is to pay off those student loans quicker.

Am I missing something? I haven't heard of any program where enlisting gets you money to pay off your student loans (unless you're looking at a fat enlistment bonus and planning to put that towards the loans?)...obviously being an officer = more disposable income = more money laying around with which you can pay off those student loans.

One HUGE (and not too widely-known) benefit that becomes available to you regardless of whether you're wearing officer or enlisted uniform: under the Servicemember' Civil Relief Act (SCRA), any loans you assumed before joining the military MUST be reduced to a 6% interest rate. It's a headache, but depending on what rates you have now, could save you a ton of money. For example, my husband's various and sundry college loans carried an average rate of 12.9%, and had all been assumed prior to his commissioning. While he was on his first cruise (tax-free in Iraq), I contacted all of the loan agencies, requesting that per the SCRA, they change the interest rate to 6% and apply ALL interest that had been paid (over that amount) to principal. He had been paying the loans off for 5+ years by then, so the reduction resulted in a dramatic difference to principal. We were able to pay off the remaining principal before he got home 4.5 months later.

LenoLax17

Yes from my understanding, if you go on the enlisted side, you are eligible for the Student Loan Repayment Program which pays up to $65,000 in Student Loans. If you choose to go in as an officer, you forfeit that benefit. On a different note, my family and I were just talking about perhaps a loan forgivness program in which the military may have since I would be making a limited amount of money as a "government employee." Although we were not certain of it, this little bit of information is very useful and I will surely be looking into it. Thank you!!

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I had $10,000 of my student loans paid off by Uncle Sam before I decided to wear some bars.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
If you use the search function you'll see that getting picked up for a board right now is a multi-month, if not multi-year, process. And there is no guarantee at all that you'll get an OCS slot after being enlisted. Matter of fact, it ends up being beyond your control. But hey, your call.

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
Really? How did you ask for that, or did they offer?

It is called the Loan Repayment Program (LRP), and all you have to do is ask your recruiter about it. There are some stipulations like: you cannot take the GI Bill your first enlistment. (but if you re-enlist for a second term, you can). Like everything in the Navy, funding is not unlimited so if your recruiter tells you it is a no-go, just try again after Oct. 1st.

P.S. Try going officer first, the pay difference is more than 60,000 over your initial enlistment, so you would actually lose out on money even if you took the LRP.