• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Chances - SWO, INTEL

BlackManta

Hello everyone, I was hoping to get some feedback on my chances at Navy OCS. I'm putting both SWO and Intel as my choices. I'm open to both, but would prefer Intel, however I know how competitive it is. I figure if I happened to get picked up for SWO, I could always try and lateral if I still wanted it down the line (I know even here too, its still competitive). Here are my stats:

-B.A. International Affairs from, cum laude with departmental distinction. GPA: 3.68

-J.D. From a a top 30 law school, 2.62

-OAR: 45 (I took it on short notice (three days) as I'm trying to hit the closest board).

I understand that my OAR, while passing, isn't "competitive" as far as scores go. I have good letters of recommendation, from state representatives, officers, and one from someone who has a position with the International Criminal Court. I'm already working in the legal field and don't have any interest in pursuing JAG while in the military. I'd appreciate any feedback and candidness as I'm hoping to use this as a measure of what my recruiter tells me. I'm still going to submit my packet, regardless of initial OAR score and if I'm not picked up this time, retake and try again a month from now. Thank you.

BlackManta

Does this mean that I have an "ok" chance of getting picked up for my first choice (intel) or the aggregate for either/both choices? By putting SWO second on my choice list (which was what I'm planning to do) does that lessen my chance for getting picked up for SWO, if not Intel? How much do my other stats outside of my OAR, affect my chances?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
All of these questions can be fielded by your OR. Also, there's a page here that breaks down what's considered competitive. Do a little searching.

Two thoughts:

1. Your OAR is gonna hurt.
2. Boards don't care if you're a minority or not. Most qualified wins.

BlackManta

All of these questions can be fielded by your OR. Also, there's a page here that breaks down what's considered competitive. Do a little searching.

Two thoughts:

1. Your OAR is gonna hurt.
2. Boards don't care if you're a minority or not. Most qualified wins.

Fair enough. I believe I've seen some of the threads you've mentioned. I just wanted to see how my own personal background weighed against my OAR. I figure I might as well just put in and see how the chips fall. Would I be competitive for SWO?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Fair enough. I believe I've seen some of the threads you've mentioned. I just wanted to see how my own personal background weighed against my OAR. I figure I might as well just put in and see how the chips fall. Would I be competitive for SWO?

Read my previous post.