• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB OAR

Laura Ebach

Hello everyone, I am new to AW website and was just approved to post in the forums. I have some questions for the group but for now I will just ask about study guides.
I need to take the ASTB/OAR but due to I am NOT going into the aviation field I will only be taking the OAR (3 sections) from what the recruiter said. I am now 28 years old and it has been a few years since I finished my Masters so I am looking for the best study guide to brush up some before I take the OAR. Are there better study guides out there? I have also read somewhere that the test has been updated as of December 9th. Is this true?

Thank you in advance for your time

Laura Ebach

exNavyOffRec

If you do a search for ASTB on this site there are many good resources.

Your age is a concern, you will age out for most designators before you even get to board, did the recruiter talk to you about the max age limit?

exNavyOffRec

I was told due to my age I could not go into the Aviation Field but my age was fine for SWO.

for SWO you have to be commissioned by age 29, so you need to be in OCS by age 28 and 9 months, which means you should be seen by a board at the latest by age 28 and 6 months, and that is pushing it.

Laura Ebach

I have called my recruiter and he now tells me you are correct. He said we need to get the ball rolling. Right now all I can do I work and study my hardest and cross my fingers. My OAR is set for Feb. 19 2016 so I do not have too long to brush up. Do you think I have a chance if I score well on the test?

exNavyOffRec

I have called my recruiter and he now tells me you are correct. He said we need to get the ball rolling. Right now all I can do I work and study my hardest and cross my fingers. My OAR is set for Feb. 19 2016 so I do not have too long to brush up. Do you think I have a chance if I score well on the test?

nope, not enough time, you need to be in OCS 3 months before you 29th birthday, you could still take the OAR and try for the higher age limit ones even though that is a long shot.

Laura Ebach

My recruiter Lt. Motyka called me today and said the way the document was wrote reads goofy and yes he said goofy. He said as long as your commission happens while you are still 29 I am good. I know the document for designator 1160 said "not have passed their 29th birthday at time of commissioning". Now I am more confused.

exNavyOffRec

My recruiter Lt. Motyka called me today and said the way the document was wrote reads goofy and yes he said goofy. He said as long as your commission happens while you are still 29 I am good. I know the document for designator 1160 said "not have passed their 29th birthday at time of commissioning". Now I am more confused.

He has no idea what he is doing, all dates are "commissioned by" always have been, you can take the OAR, but if you apply for SWO either the NRD processor will kick it back to him or the NRC processor will just pro X it.

I would still take the OAR you can throw your application for those higher age designators against the wall and it might stick, I say this not knowing anything about your GPA.

Laura Ebach

GPA
Undergrad 3.6
Grad 3.8
What should I do if I do not have faith in my recruiter? I do not have lots of time to be told incorrect information and have paper work kicked back just to start over again. I thank you for all the information you have provided me and getting myself more focused as to what would be available to apply for.

Tabitha

I apologize I should have worded that differently. I am purchasing some study books and wanted to see if anyone has found some that were helpful? I have also been taking the online practice ASTB testing, for the math and English portions.