• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC: TEXAS A&M OR UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob1986

So here's my question, I'm going to do NROTC but my decision remains between the two flagship state schools here in Texas to attend, Texas A&M and University of Texas. What would you recommend for a prospective NROTC guy?

I mean personally, I am leaning toward the University of Texas. I like the University of Texas and the town of Austin, plus it seems that the NROTC is more relaxed (compared to the 24/7 military lifestyle of Texas A&M Corps of Cadets), giving more time to include other things in the college experience. Plus I like the uniforms that UT's NROTC has (they kind of look like the USNA's uniforms).

Anyway, what would y'all pick? :)

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Even if ROTC wasn't in the picture, I usually say, which place do you feel more comfortable at? I know when I was coming out of high school, all you heard were rankings, who has the best programs in what, blah blah blah. In the end, this is where you'll spend four of the most defining years of your life. Both are good schools, and ultimately, it's where you'll be the most happy. If you're leaning toward Texas, don't question it. Go with your gut.

contrail_dash

I graduated from A&M. Did my time in the Corps. On a pure military stand point, UT has nothing on A&M. I'm not tooting my own horn or anything, I just remember that when I went to my summer field training for AFROTC I remember all the non military school types complaining about how hard it was. It wasnt hard but then they never had to learn the basic military stuff that my friends and I learned. So we had time to concentrate on the more important stuff. Being in the corps also taught time managemnet very well. You had to learn to balance school and corps activities. There are greater chances for leadership positions as well, both in the corps and in ROTC. And the ROTC units take that into consideration, they dont only look at ROTC stuff, they also look at your corps performance. As far as academics, its only harder if you let it be. The corps has amazing tutoring and academic resources available to its members, something that normal college students dont have. There was someone from every academic major in the corps, so you always had someone to go to with questions.

I could have cared less what kind of uniform I was wearing. I went there to get the best military experience possible, one that would prepare me the best for military service, and more importantly a good education at the same time. As far as getting the complete college experience, I never agreed with that phrase. The cadets were students just as everyone else, went to the same classes, went out durring the week and weekend, dated from the same pool of students as everyone else, its just that we just lived together, ate together, and did extra military activities on the side.

Visit both schools, spend time with each respective ROTC unit. But most of all, like ThisGuy said, just go with what feels right with you. After all, they are both stepping stones to your ultimate goal of becoming an officer...and thats how you need to look at it.

contrail_dash

Oh yeah, I mean to add that I still had time to work all through college and play club ice hockey as well. Its all what you make of it.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My personal recommendation would be for UT. You will get a great education at either place. However, if you're looking for the "college experience," you are probably going to have one hell of a great time at UT. Don't get me wrong about Texas A&M...you can have fun there too. But come on....it Texas A&M. Just make sure you look at the whole picture when you compare the two schools...not just the ROTC factor.

Rotorhead

What are you looking for? A quailty program that may actually do you some good? Then go to Texas A&M, and do it right. Are you looking to party your butt off, and participate in a pseudo-military organization? Then go to texas. If all you're looking for is an easy time and not having to wear a uniform all the time, why are you even joining the service? Hello, thats what we do, wear uniforms, all the time.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He's gonna get a quality program at either place. And he's not joining the service yet. He's going to college. Big difference.

Killer2

TRONS!
None
I am currently a junior at A&M and in the the Corps. I had a Navy four yr scholarship but then decided to go PLC (long story).I have to say you have to go with what fits you best. We get a lot of guys who have Navy/Marine scholarships and they have to be in the Corps and drop out why because it wasn't for them. I mean I came here because I wanted that college experience, and not the military academy 24/7 thing. We are different from "El Cid" or VMI in that we are a university with a military org in it. You can will have the opportunity to ware that navy uniform just like once a week like at Texas. If you have any other questions you can PM me.

bob1986

But Austin and UT look so fun!

I agree that if one wanted a total submersion in a military lifestyle, then Texas A&M is probably the right choice. But going to UT NROTC gives me the opportunity to live in Austin and get a scholarship to live there and a commission after its all done. That just sounds like quite a deal to me...

I doubt that not wearing a uniform all the time in college makes a person any less able to adjust to wearing a uniform all the time once he is commissioned. What about kids who don't do ROTC and just go to OCS...are they total lame-o's because they never once wore a uniform in college? I would never ask an OCS kid "hey man, you never wore a uniform in college, you must find wearing one on active duty to be unbearable!"

And what's wrong with wanting to "party my butt off"? Not that that's the case, because I intend to make good grades as well, but living in a fun town while doing NROTC doesn't sound that bad to me! If I wanted the total military lifestyle while still in college, I'd just apply to the Naval Academy...but at least that is in scenic Annapolis.

bob1986

Hey Killer2, thanks for the advice. My previous response was not directed at you, so if it sounded kind of on the defensive, don't worry it was a response to another post.

Rotorhead

College Station has plenty to offer in the "fun" area. I had all the fun I could handle, and then some. But I also was part of an organization that was steeped in deep rooted tradition. People make fun of Aggies and the Corps of Cadets, but only those who have been there can understand. We had plenty of fun on our road trips to Austin, its a great town; but I wouldnt trade the experience I had at A&M for anything. Good Luck

Killer2

TRONS!
None
Hey bob I know you last post wasn't directed to me but I wanted to say one thing. I am saying that the experiences you get at A&M would be a good advantage to have on your side. You will see a difference when you go on your first summer cruise. But best fit is always best choice besides it tends to level off as far as advantages by the time everybody, academy,military academies, OCS, ect, reach 0-3( LT. )

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You've got some pretty big issues to think about with this decision. Thoughts that come to mind are that a commission is a commission, no matter how you get it. You only live once. College years are supposed to be some of "the best years of your life."

I think that the other posts have been pretty accurate. If you want more of a rigid, military lifestyle throughout college then go to A&M. Like someone said earlier, you will probably come out with a better feel for what to expect in the fleet. That's not to say that guys and gals in the Corps don't have fun and don't get a real college experience. I've got several friends in the Corps (I'm not) who absolutely love it. They are having plenty of fun and don't think they're giving up what "real" college is supposed to be like. While this is true, you have to admit that the ROTC unit at A&M is going to be significantly different from the one at UT.

I would guess that UT ROTC is going to be more relaxed by default. The biggest issue for me would be that UT mids get to live off campus. At least that's what I would assume. To me, living off campus is a MAJOR issue. There's just something about being able to leave school and come home to your apartment/house and kind of get away from the military aspect of things for a while. You'll probably have roommates who aren't in ROTC with you, and that fact alone will probably give you a much less "military" experience during your college years. I think that really what it comes down to is where you think you fit in best. Either way you'll come out with those flashy gold bars - it's just the experiences along the way that make the difference.

You should know where I'm coming from on this one. I'll be graduating from A&M in August and am looking forward to OCS soon after. I could have come into the Corps with a scholarship, but at the time I didn't know enough about the military and wasn't interested at all. My college years have been a real time of growth for me, as they are for lots of people, and I eventually realized that I definitely wanted to pursue a career in the military. I looked into several options, one if which was "frogging" into the Corps. That's what they call it when you jump in without making it through your freshman year. Long, long story made short, I decided to go another route. The Navy picked me up for BDCP and things are looking great.

All that being said, I sometimes wish I had come to A&M and entered the Corps at the beginning. That's just me. I've seen some of the great things the Corps has to offer and believe it to be an excellent program. Like I said though, when I was coming out of high school it just wasn't for me. Texas is a great school (contrary to lots of Aggies' beliefs) and I'm sure their ROTC program is top notch. You just have to remember that the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M is very unique - you will give up some things to be in the Corps, but you will also gain a lot from the experience.

My advice to you is to visit both places before you make a decision. To me, Austin and College Station are very different cities. They both offer different things and you just need to see which place fits you best. I know that A&M has a program where you can come spend a night with the Corps and get a firsthand look at how things work. I'm sure Texas has some great opportunities to check things out as well. So go visit, ask a LOT of questions, and make a decision based on which place seems to fit you best. Like I said earlier, both places will make you an officer, but I think everyone would agree with me when I say that your experiences will be very different depending on where you decide to go.

Feel free to PM/email me if there's anything specific I can answer for you.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
UT Austin is awesome, I went through the ROTC there and have never regretted it. In the end you still have the same gold bars on your shoulder.

contrail_dash

Some fellow Ags will think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Thats nice and all but somewhat narrow minded. Afterall, A&M is only ONE school out of hundreds that commission officers into the military. A&M isnt the only school producing flag officers, medal of honor winners, ect ect. So whats that tell you right there? Anyways, I may have come off somewhat strong in my previous post, but just remember, thats what I experienced and dealt with. And I'm only one individual. But like I said before:

Visit both schools, spend time with each respective ROTC unit. But most of all, like ThisGuy said, just go with what feels right with you. After all, they are both stepping stones to your ultimate goal of becoming an officer...and thats how you need to look at it.

Seriously, go with what makes you happy, what environment you think you will do best in. Just remember, its a stepping stone to your ultimate goal: getting a comission. And once you become a 01, it doesnt really matter where you went. You got in, you made it. There alot of Ags that dont.

There's my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.