• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcasra

My NROTC interview is coming up in a week. I could use some tips. What is the one question that you were most unprepared for?? ... what advice can you offer me?

jagges84

Semper Gumby "Always Flexible"
My advice would be

-Dress profesionally
-Be Sure to use your sirs or ma'ams
-Be prepared to tell why you want to be a Naval or Marine Officer.
-Know list of activities, clubs, ect.. you did in HS
-Be able to explain why you think you would be a good officer
-Don't be nervous, these OSOs do this all the time,
-BE HONEST ABOUT EVERYTHING (criminal history, gpa,club envolvement, ect), they will find out anyway

Thats about all i can think of now,
good luck

Jagges

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A fresh hair cut
sit up straight
speak with confidence
look them in the eye

good luck

JWallAvionic

May I ask what recruit station you are heading up to, I had mine about two weeks ago up at Recruit Station Springfield, awesome guys.

Dress up nice, they will take your picture...

Just like prior stated, know your stuff, have as much completed as possible... {package}

Be up front with the guys you have to speak with, I had to be interviewed twice, I believe that is standard, so just know your stuff.... :)

Be yourself, tell the truth...

One thing, didn't throw me but was a good question, was 'Is there anything, or anybody that would keep you from accepting this scholarship, or accepting placement into NROTC - Marine Option, any long term girlfriend, taking care of grandma, anything like that.'

So just a little heads up on that one :)

Also, another edit lol:

-Know what you would like to do, well you are here at Airwarriors, so that leads me to believe air ;) But you never know, because he will discuss the track you will take if you get it / if you don't etc.

No shame in asking questions... ask him he knows :)

snizo

Supply Officer
My interview was about 20 minutes of sea stories. I was asked maybe two questions.

1. Were you in the scouts?
2. Can you swim?

So it all depends on who is interviewing you. What has been said so far is probably a pretty good preview of whats to come, though.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One thing to show is MOTIVATION toward the program....Why do you want it? And are you motivated enough to do what it takes to succeed? Show them that you deserve to be in the program. Yes, they may ask you about your past experiences...tell them everything that you've done. Also, make a list of questions that you want to ask them....it may sound silly now, but you will really impress the interviewers with some pointed questions that are written down and well thought out.
ea6bflyr

ET-Mike

A-Pool Junkie
I agree with ea6bflyr, you should ask them questions at the end of the interview, maybe like, 'if you could do it all over again would you change anything?' or something like that to let them know that you have given it a lot of thought and are motivated to be there.

Oh yeah, just be chill. Don't go in there rambling on and on, sit up and listen to the questions and take a sec and think of an organized answer. Good luck, you will do fine.

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
OK, I have actually done these interviews and the kids I see apply generally screw up in two areas. 1. They are nervous and just don't talk to me. The guys above are right. If you are lucky you might be the 20th kid I've seen in three days. So...it pays to stand out. Dress professionally and be ready to talk to me. The guys/gals that I give my stamp on tend to want to talk. They also have no problem talking to someone who has "some" authority. Also, be respectful. I had one guy treat me like I was one of his buddies...That may work with some recruiters but it kinda turned me off. You are interviewing to recieve up to 120,000 dollars. When you think about that fact, you should know how to walk into the interview. If you have any questions about the interview itself, PM me. It's been a while since I've done one but I can give you the highlights...Oh, and the big thing. If there is something in your record (grades, discipline, etc) that can be explained away (parent's divorce, death in the family, etc.) let the interviewer know. We will take EVERYTHING you say to us into consideration. Good luck.
--Goplay

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I actually interviewed with a Navy Senior Chief and he was extremely relaxed during the whole thing (considering he was wearing a set of Navy sweats). He really didn't ask me anything new, just went over the questions that I had to answer in my application and the activities I did in high school. I guess it really depends on the recruiter how the interview is going to be, but I know my academy nomination interviews were a lot more difficult and stressful.

usnafury

Damn, wish my interview had been that easy! It actually wasn't bad, but I had to go through 2 interviews on the same day; one with a Marine Major and another with a Captain. Besides all the stuff the Navy wanted them to ask, they asked me whether I thought I'd be able to lead Marines that were older and more experienced than I was. They also asked what value I thought was most important (the Captain listed a bunch but I chose one he hadn't said: integrity). The hardest question I got was what I could do for the Corps and what the Corps could do for me. Fortunately, though, I had prepared for the question, so I had a really good answer. :) The Captain emailed me after the interview and told me he wanted all my stuff in by August 20th so it could be seen by the first Review Board. I hope that's a good sign...

WannaBEaP3gal

Make sure you know the difference between leadership and management, I know to some of you less experienced kids it sounds like there is no difference, but there is. That always seems to be a popular question.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
usnafury said:
Damn, wish my interview had been that easy! It actually wasn't bad, but I had to go through 2 interviews on the same day; one with a Marine Major and another with a Captain. Besides all the stuff the Navy wanted them to ask, they asked me whether I thought I'd be able to lead Marines that were older and more experienced than I was. They also asked what value I thought was most important (the Captain listed a bunch but I chose one he hadn't said: integrity). The hardest question I got was what I could do for the Corps and what the Corps could do for me. Fortunately, though, I had prepared for the question, so I had a really good answer. :) The Captain emailed me after the interview and told me he wanted all my stuff in by August 20th so it could be seen by the first Review Board. I hope that's a good sign...

Sounds like you knocked 'em dead, kid. Good call on "integrity", the officers like to harp on that one a lot. Probably the most important trait of them all, but thats just my opinion...

usnafury

Thanks Nozeman, I sure hope I did! I guess I'll find out in October or November, though. Icewoman, my Gunny had talked to me before about how the Marines are a branch where officers command first, then lead. We actually had a really long discussion about it. I think it's really helped me being around NCOs and enlisted so much. I've done PT with them 3 times a week for 3 months now. If/when I get into the Fleet, I hope the experience pays off. One thing I really emphasized in my interview was how when I first got into the Fleet, I'd be in charge of NCOs who had been in the Corps longer than I had even been alive. I told the Major that it would take a strong force of personality to be able to lead them, but at the same time, I'd be extremely dependent on the NCOs and their vast amount of knowledge. One of the major complaints I've heard about new 2nd LTs/Ensigns is that they think they know everything and don't need any help. If I get into the Fleet, I've made a pledge to myself that I won't be that way. OK, I've been rambling. Sorry, it happens. :)

WannaBEaP3gal

usnafury, that is all you will hear in ROTC... when you become a DIVO, always listen to your Chief, he's been there, done that, knows everyone, knows everything, especially if your one of those straight out of college MIDN no prior service. You don't know squat when you first get there, and that's what the Chief is there for. Good thing you know that now!

Status
Not open for further replies.