• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Non-flying shore tour to Reserve VTs

petey42

pilot
So I am getting to the point where I need to start figuring out what I am going to do for my shore tour. I would love nothing more than to be able to fly students in the T-6 (Milton or P-cola). The problem is that I need to stay in the PNW because of my wife's job. If I were to do a non-flying billet for shore duty (i.e. NROTC, recruiting, or some other random thing) to stay in the area would there be any possibility of getting back into the T-6 via SELRES or FTS after my MSR? I know they typically look for guys with VT or FRS instructor experience for that kind of thing, but I am just curious if anyone has heard of it being done via a less conventional route.

I know this is getting dangerously close to a what % get XYZ, but I have already started discussions with my front office and other mentors. I am just looking for any additional perspectives. Thanks!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Very slim (virtually zero If I had to guess) shot at getting into the VTs as selves unless you’re local (usually w/in a 3hr drive or one direct airline flight) and have previous instructor experience... FTS could be a possiblity but you run into the whole “have to stay in PNW” thing.

PNW Flyer

None
So I am getting to the point where I need to start figuring out what I am going to do for my shore tour. I would love nothing more than to be able to fly students in the T-6 (Milton or P-cola). The problem is that I need to stay in the PNW because of my wife's job. If I were to do a non-flying billet for shore duty (i.e. NROTC, recruiting, or some other random thing) to stay in the area would there be any possibility of getting back into the T-6 via SELRES or FTS after my MSR? I know they typically look for guys with VT or FRS instructor experience for that kind of thing, but I am just curious if anyone has heard of it being done via a less conventional route.

I know this is getting dangerously close to a what % get XYZ, but I have already started discussions with my front office and other mentors. I am just looking for any additional perspectives. Thanks!
What about VP-69?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Usually the VT SAUs have plenty of dudes rushing who are coming off VT IP tours and are either going to be full time Reserve bums or are en route to the Show. So they’re current and qual’ed and known quantities to the TRAWING front offices, and can contribute to getting a lot of Xes. So I won’t say it can’t be done, coming off a non-flying tour out of the area, but the odds definitely aren’t in your favor.

Does VP-69 take AC guys as a shore tour? I know VAW-77 did when it was around, and the VFCs still do. If that’s a possibility, given your expressed career plans, I’d look hard at it. Keeps you flying and current and sets you up strongly for going FTS or affiliating as a Selres with MSW units.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
To echo the above, VT SELRES billets are generally soaked up by previous IPs who either now live local or are airline dudes and commute in for their drills. Being previous IPs, they are a known commodity and likely fully qualified to instruct once they finish getting recurrent. Sorry to say, I doubt they'll take a flyer on someone they don't know when they have their pick of the litter from previous IPs who've separated and want to finish up in the reserves. FTS is same/same, the VT(P) billets are largely previous IPs who have the qualifications already.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Several issues.

Whiting generally requires a minimum of 60 production days as the reservists are called upon to perform a substantial amount of instruction - those who live local can easily meet and exceed that amount.

As mentioned above, there is a always a waiting line of active duty IP's rushing the VT's who already have advanced quals with experience in the aircraft Someone with no previous T-6 time would require a substantial amount of funding to be put through the syllabus - and then emerge with only the basic quals.

With the current airline hiring boom, I would venture that your odds are extremely long.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Just my personal observations after observing a lot of new training command SELRES get started over the years:

If you can make it smoothly through your first year and find a groove, then you'll usually succeed. By the end of that first year, you'll know if it's too much for you to keep up with or if you can keep doing it.

If your commute is driving then about a 4-5 hour drive is the average make-or-break distance. If your day job is an airline guy (which means jumpsuit privileges), then project that drive accordingly- don't project it hour-for-hour but look at it in terms of overall pain in the ass.

The instructor pilot currency/warmup window varies between the different training wings and it's usually around a few weeks long. So if you fall out of it- easy to do when you live far away. When you do then they have to spend money on a flight for you, use up one X in an airplane on you, use up your availability for an X on you, and use up another instructor's availability for an X on you. This is okay if it happens occasionally, not at all okay if you do it regularly.

So referring back to the commute, are going to be able to do that regularly and consistently? More importantly, what is the pilot selection board, who is familiar with people whose commuting plans have succeeded and others who have failed, going to think of yours? If your plan is, ahem, "optimistic," are they going to bet on you?

petey42

pilot
Very slim (virtually zero If I had to guess) shot at getting into the VTs as selves unless you’re local (usually w/in a 3hr drive or one direct airline flight) and have previous instructor experience... FTS could be a possiblity but you run into the whole “have to stay in PNW” thing.

Sorry, I should’ve been more clear. By the time I am halfway through my next tour she will be able to move wherever. Our goal has always been to move back to the gulf coast area since that’s where she is from. So, the commute to fly reserve VT wouldn’t be a problem at all. I apologize for sending us down that rabbit hole.

We have also kicked around the idea of just trying to get VT orders now and living apart for a year and a half, but neither of us are keen on that especially with kids (potentially) in the picture. It sucks because that would otherwise be the best option.

Thanks again for all the input I appreciate it.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It was a fair question and I think you explained your circumstances pretty well. Everybody's answers give you a pretty good idea of the big ins-and-outs. That helps you make an informed decision.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Everything @Jim123 said is pretty true for any flying reserve unit. Balancing commute and time you can commit to the unit is a big factor in afffiliation, including whether the unit wants to take you. Affiliation boards will always ask about your potential time commitment, and where you intend to reside. If all they’re going to be doingwith you is getting you back into currency and then you disappear for another 30 days, don’t expect to get picked up.

If you want to fly in the Res, find some kind of flying orders for your shore job before you get out. It’ll be tough breaking into the VT SAUs without VT IP time, but it’ll be effectively impossible if you go off to ROTC or something.

If your ultimate goal is VT SAU, then doing the geo-bach thing and going to P’cola/Whiting is probably your best bet. A year and a half apart sucks, but it’s do-able if it helps you and your family get where you want to be. Sometimes you have to take the hit now to get set up for what’s next. Just my $0.02.

sickboy

pilot
We have also kicked around the idea of just trying to get VT orders now and living apart for a year and a half, but neither of us are keen on that especially with kids (potentially) in the picture. It sucks because that would otherwise be the best option.

There's at least one IP in my squadron doing that right now. Is there a particular reason you're looking for VTs? Or do you just want to fly on the SelRes side?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I’m on year 2.5 of three years geobachelor with two kids. It sucks, but is doable. I’d say don’t shoot your career (or hers) in the face over a bit of time apart...
Pickle