• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO to SNA w/ prk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfk

i posted this question over in the marines section, but didnt get too many responses.

so the question is:

i'm going to be applying to PLC as NFO, w/ the intent of getting PRK after i'm accepted, and switching over to SNA. my oso says this wont be a problem, but i was looking for some second opinions, maybe from someone who has done the same. thanks alot.

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
Check before you do anything to be sure. If you get accepted as a NFO with your current vision and then have the surgery, are you going to need some kind of waiver considering you have had surgery since you applied. I think there is a minimum 6 month wait time after the surgery before you can ask for a waiver. When I asked about it I had already been accepted for NFO and could have had the surgery done for free by a military Doc. I never went through with it because NOMI said it would nulify my original vision test and would have to resubmit my package after 6 months. I am not saying don't do it, but check into it first and get the word from NOMI or some other competent authority.

Daedalus

Are the reqs different for NFO and NA in the Marines? Look into that. Also the wait for PRK for those applying is 3 mos if your pre op diopters (measure of correction) is below a certain number I think 5.25?, check the nami aeromedical waver guide for specifics on all these questions (look online, the link is kicking around here too) and 6 months if you are above 5.25? and below a certain maximum.

reapergm

Oh, by the way.. If you are PLC, I think it might be ok... because you have the opportunity to get it done before commissioning/TBS. I think there might be issues if you dont get it done before TBS. Id think there might be alot of kids in that situation. Better to get it done now than wait.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I'm planning on getting PRK after Jrs this summer, obtaining (hopefully) the waiver after the 3 month wait, and then doing a component change from ground to SNA. I've talked to a few people who have done this. Just do it by the numbers NAMI requires and you should be good to go. Good luck.

Rotorhead

jfk said:
i posted this question over in the marines section, but didnt get too many responses.

so the question is:

i'm going to be applying to PLC as NFO, w/ the intent of getting PRK after i'm accepted, and switching over to SNA. my oso says this wont be a problem, but i was looking for some second opinions, maybe from someone who has done the same. thanks alot.

JFK - I was the Aviation Student Control Officer at MATSG in Pensacola just last year. HQMC's standpoint is this: There is a huge shortage in NFO accessions. They desperately need NFO's. They will not, repeat, will not allow you to switch programs based on PRK surgery. In fact once they get you to sign on as an NFO, you wont be switching for any reason. Your only hope would be to get picked up on the Transition/Conversion board held once a year after you had already been winged as an NFO and finished one tour in the fleet. Your OSO is full of BS. If you only want to be a pilot, dont go NFO. You'll be an NFO, period. If you can't get a pilot slot and you think NFO is a good second option, go for it.

I had the very same question posed to me in Pensacola last year countless times. The answer was always the same.

Good Luck

stevew

Does anyone know specifically how the PRK waivers are granted? I was told conflicting stories and was wondering if anyone had the real skinny on it. First I was told that when I go for my flight physical they will look over everything and when they send back the report to my OSO it will include the waiver if they decide to grant it. Then I was told that they first have to wait until they receive the medical report back from the physical and then once they have all of it they can then go and send it in to BUMED and request the waiver.Does anyone know how the process really works?

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
The second half is correct. They(NOMI) look at what the docs have to say after your flight physical. The docs that give you your physical are just reporting your health status and have no power to grant waivers.

stevew

My OSO said that they were giving my docs to BUMED didn't say anything about NAMI is that the same thing?

Rotorhead

Kent said:
This question is actually for Rotarhead but anyone, please be free to respond to this question as well. Any information is helpful.

Thanks for the insight, but do you happen to know if there would be any difficulty if I put in my application as SNFO and than get PRK and switch it to SNA before I go Quantico, VA or am I stuck with SNFO?

That Im not sure of. Id be wary about signing anything. If your OSO can "promise" you a switch to SNA before you leave for Q-town then maybe. Once you get to TBS, if youre signed up as an NFO, an NFO you will be.

Good Luck

jfk

thanks for all the insight guys. i guess i'm going to go ahead and get my PLC application in this august, go in as snfo (knocks on wood), get the prk, and try for the change to sna.

hobbz

Final Select NFO
I'm curious, as someone who's been recommended for OCS as an NFO, when would be the best time for me to start the papers rolling to have the Navy do the PRK for me? My vision as it stands is about -3.00 in each eye, so I'd only be out for about 3 months.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.