• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Anthro Measurements Changing?

I went down to NAMI for my flight physical a few weeks ago. Everything was fine until I went to get my Anthro measurements. Turns out I do not meet the measurements to be a pilot or NFO (sad and devastating, I know). However, the LT who took my measurements told me that the standards would be changing for NFO soon, and that when they did, I could qualify to become an NFO. Has anyone heard any similar information? He was really adamant about the standards changing soon. Do they post this type of information anywhere online? Thanks in advance!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your height is not a determinant. Sitting height, butt to knee length and functional reach are generally the anthro measurements that matter.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't see how anthros would be different for pilot vs NFO. Maybe some knobs or controls require a different reach, but how different can it be? Isn't the front and back seat panal of a Rhino the same distance away? The real concern has always been the rocket seat. They are the same.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't see how anthros would be different for pilot vs NFO. Maybe some knobs or controls require a different reach, but how different can it be? Isn't the front and back seat panal of a Rhino the same distance away? The real concern has always been the rocket seat. They are the same.

The rocket seat, yes, but there's also a few helo-centric issues. The TH-57 is smaller than any known vehicle made in the U.S., so there's that. I've also run into people that either DQ'ed for fit into a -60 because of the rotor brake (and maybe the collective) or weren't DQ'ed, but have a hard time going full down on the collective with their seat height where it needs to be. The latter is actually something that's popped up recently with several students when doing BOOST-OFF landings.

Personally, I think we make a bigger deal out of anthros than we need to (versus some sort of strength test), but I also understand some very real limitations of being too <insert dimensions here>.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I am almost 62 inches. Not enough to be a pilot, but enough to be an NFO. My thumb tip to shoulder reach was just a little bit too short to qualify for NFO, which is one of the measurements he said they are changing.
I only knew one guy that short and he was only eligible for AH-1’s. Luckily he was a Marine. He took great comfort knowing what his future held.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flown in both the OH-58 (TH-57) and OH-6. I think the OH-6 is tighter. Don't have to worry about that in naval aviation though

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
@Gatordev started to go there but stopped. To clarify, you can't anthro-out of any relief tube-equipped naval aircraft because they don't measure for that.

In case anyone was following this thread: the new anthro measurements were released yesterday and I am now qualified to go NFO. Thanks for all the inputs and information.