• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEW SNA program for CG

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is a very interesting new program the CG is offering for pilot applicants. Higher age limits are one feature. Go to the Coastie forum for details.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm seeing nothing in the USCG section about a "new SNA" program . . . .
Must have aged out of the system or something. Try to use the search function. Either way, just go to the USCG recruiting web site and look at the Aviator Programs. I forget what they call it. You get money in school like BDCP but the requirements are very strict and a little unusual.

sardaddy

pilot
This is a sticky but I'm not sure what program this is referring to and I am a CG pilot. The only thing I think it might be referring to is the Blue 21 program that guarantees you a flight school slot if you meet the requirements. However, you don't get money for school. That is a totally different program called CSPI. Here are the requirements for Blue 21:

BLUE 21 Eligibility Requirements:

1. Age

Reached 21st but not 31st birthday as of the selection panel convening date.

2. Citizenship

Must be a United States Citizen.

3. Education

To be eligible, applicants must have a minimum 2.5 GPA and meet one of the following degree requirements:

a. Have a degree in any aviation, aeronautical and aerospace program from a qualifying four-year institution (25% or greater minority population of U.S. citizens).

b. Have a degree in any engineering related program from a qualifying four-year institution.

c. Have a degree in any computer related program from a qualifying four-year institution.

d. Have a degree in any technical or technology related program from a qualifying four-year institution.

e. Have an Associates degree in an aviation, aeronautical or aerospace specific program from a Junior/Community College accompanied by a baccalaureate degree in any major course of study from a qualifying four-year institution.

f. Have a Private Pilot’s License (or higher rating), in conjunction with a degree from a qualifying four-year institution.

Additionally, applicants must meet minimum scores on one of the following standardized tests.

SAT……………..Combined score of 1000 or greater.

SAT I……………Combined score of 1100 or greater.

ACT……………..Composite score of 23 or greater.

ASVAB………….GT score of 109 (110 prior to 1 July 2004).

4. Aviation Selection Test Battery (ASTB)

a. The ASTB is an exam that tests your general knowledge in the areas of Math, Science, English and Aviation. Applicants must receive a minimum Academic Qualification Rating (AQR) of 4 and Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating (PFAR) of 4 in order to qualify for BLUE 21.

b. The ASTB is administered by the U.S. Navy and must be completed with a passing score prior to applying. This test may be scheduled through local Coast Guard recruiting offices.

5. Military Service

An applicant with six or more years of non-Coast Guard active duty time is not eligible to apply.

6. Physical Qualifications

a. BLUE 21 applicants will be required to pass both MEPS physical as well as a Class I Flight Physical conducted by a military flight surgeon. Physicals can be scheduled through a local Coast Guard recruiter.

b. BLUE 21 applicants must have an uncorrected visual acuity not poorer than 20/50 in each eye with the ability for correction to 20/20 in each eye.

7. Security Clearance

BLUE 21 applicants must be eligible for a security clearance.

Waivers:

No waivers will be granted for age, degree requirements or flight physicals. Medical waivers will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

That is the latest and greatest right off the recruiting website.

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
Interesting that they would have a requirement like that on the school you go to. And 'minority' is such an openly interpreted term.
Kind of ridiculous...I suppose they don't want you going to White Supremacy University in northern Idaho.

MasterBates

Yeah, if I wanted to go into this program, I would not be able to, solely based on that while there were about 30% minotities at GMI, over half of them were NOT US Citizens..

I personally think any "Affimative Action" is Postive Discrimination..

EQUAL OPPORTUNITY is what is right...

[/rant]

mike172

GO NAVY
I actually went over the 25% thing on another forum cause I was wondering about it. My school makes me ineligable for the scholarship which sucks. They say the 25% requirement is a way around saying "we want more monorities in the CG" I believe the thinking goes "if were drawing from a pool where there are more minorities we have a better chance the person applying is him/herself a minority." Least thats what I was told.

mxracer19

Hanging out in K-Vegas.
I'm SOL. University of Colorado = 14.X% minority...total. Strange experiance coming from New Jersey.

Scotty-O

Due to the government,I feel over-stimulated.
You can always spend a semester or two and get a second BS from an accepted school.
That's what I did after a couple of years of trying to find a way around that requirement...I had to because I was too old for a regular OCS application. :glasses_1

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, if I wanted to go into this program, I would not be able to, solely based on that while there were about 30% minotities at GMI, over half of them were NOT US Citizens..

I personally think any "Affimative Action" is Postive Discrimination..

EQUAL OPPORTUNITY is what is right...

[/rant]

When BDCP was initiated nearly 20 years ago it WAS only for minorities. Nothing so sly as a 25% minority school back then. Frankly, I like the creativity of the 25% minority school requirement.