• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need Some SWOtivation

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Well ladies and gents, after a long hard struggle I've finally received the NAMI Whammy and am redesignating to SWO. Unfortunately, I just don't know enough about the community and am trying to get as much good gouge and advice as possible before I report aboard my first ship. Do any of you SWOs aboard AW have any good advice that you wished that you had known before you reported for your first DIVO tour? Also, have any of y'all gone to the RIVRONs or MESF communities? If so, what did you do beyond getting your EOOW/TAO/SWO pin quals to get there?

As always, thanks a bunch.

BackOrdered

Contributor
A complex question, how does one prepare to be a SWO JO?

I'll have more from what I've observed as the thread picks up but I have one big one.

Do NOT wax poetic about being involved in aviation once you report. I've seen nothing good come of it. As a Supply type, I don't care. In fact, I may be interested to know. But some SWOs have axes to grind with aviation types for whatever reason.

KBayDog

AA - Sorry to hear about the NAMI deal. I know how much you wanted to fly. That said, I know you'll be a kick-ass SWO. Don't be a stranger around here.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Sorry to hear it man. Go kick ass out there in black-shoe land, and don't be that guy with an ax to grind about aviation types. But we know it works both ways.

Haters gonna hate.

funny-gifs-dope-zebra.gif

CAMike

None
Contributor
I can't speak for present day SWOland but not that many years ago it was about a 50/50 chance that you'd end up on a ship with great leadership and fellow officers that wanted all the JO's to succeed in their careers and have some fun at the same time, less the JO's that would have sucked in any community of course. Actually when you work on a ship that has a healthy team spirit, it can be fun. You'll hopefully end up with a few life long friends and see parts of the world that most people only read about. If you're capable of developing sound management skills, your TEAM will appreciate it and your fitreps will show it. I was fortunate to be on a good ship twice while on AD. In the reserves I experienced a near caine mutiny brewing and then another good command after that one bad experience.

AA75- PM me, I'll make time to speak with you in more detail.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
If you're capable of developing sound leadership skills, your TEAM will appreciate it....

Only a minor edit for effect. Hopefully with very little offense takn by CAM, as our resident beloved SWO. Figuring out the leadership part will do you a lot more good than learning to manage. All that being said, in the school I'm going through right now there seem to be a remarkable number of well adjusted folks who wear black shoes. As much as the NAMI thing sucks, and it does, there is still a lot more fun to be had driving boats. Will it suck at times? Sure. But on the whole I think you're going to enjoy it.

Don't be the bitter asshole Ensign I had the displeasure of talking to today here in Norfolk. He was so sure that his life sucked because he was a boat driver (not what he wanted, apparently) and couldn't see how the Navy could ever be fun. Never mind that he had been underway for exactly 14 days in his entire naval career. The Senior Chief Boatswain's Mate I was drinking with tried to convince the young wayward soul that life would get better but eventually gave up. I think Senior's phrasing was, "fucking ensign" and went back to his Scotch. Don't be that asshole, have a good attitude, and be ready to have fun. JOPA, long may it live, is active in SWO land as well.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Show up to your first ship with an eye-patch and a bottle of rum. If they get mad, they're pussies.